WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 project thread

Bassboy3313

From last 30 foot drive, I heard a grinding/thumping from the rear which made me stop. This morning I raised the rear and noticed the driveshaft was rubbing on the exhaust. I got 2 new rubber muffler hangers and that fixed the issue. I then noticed a small oil leak. During my investigating I have a hunch it is coming from the thermostat on the oil filter housing. Hard to tell tho from the clean oil and whatnot.

I just drove it around the block for the first time and it was interesting. Lol. Figuring out Megasquirt as I go is probably going to take some time.

I also think there might be an exhaust leak at the turbo. Nows the time to get all the kinks out I guess.

I had a steady drip from the oil cooler thermostat on my m20, it got to the point of a drip every couple seconds when the engine was running.  I replaced the o ring (which comes with a new retaining ring and metal cap??) and all was well.  The old o ring crumbled into pieces when I removed it.

I didn't know if they used a similar setup on the m10.  I didn't realize yours was aftermarket, I have considered using an adapter to do a remote mount filter on some cars with poor filter placement to make oil changes easier.  Would you recommend the Purolator?  I use their synthetic line of spin on filters for my non BMWs.

Yeah I would recommend Purolator. That is my go to filer for my car, but most the time no one has it in stock so I end up having to get something different.

I have been tuning and tuning with Brian (Snap) and we are kind of stumped. It is running almost as if a spark plug is intermittent or wire is bad, but I just replaced plugs and wires. We are aiming towards the coil not producing a hot enough spark and maybe even the EDIS module not being grounded properly due to it sitting on a painted surface. I will be replacing the coil today and possibly grinding the paint away from under the module. Hope this works.

Its a Dell Venue 8 Pro that runs full windows. Its super convenient. I either need a usb-f to micro usb-m adapter cable or to grab the bluetooth adapter for megasquirt before I can use it for tuning. I actually picked it up for super cheap on ebay. It was brand new, in the box, with plastic still on everything and no one else bid on it. I know, weird right?

Nice, and you were sitting there waiting for the last second snipe.  Sounds like a similar device, this is running windows 8.1.  I like it because we use it as our only computer and can run everything we would use like MS office etc which you can't do with a limited OS/Ipad device.  How much storage does that have?  Ours has 128GB SSD and a micro SD up to 64GB.

The fact it runs full windows and everything is the exact reason I got it. It will be nice to run full tunerstudio for megasquirt on it while driving so I dont have to lug the heavy, old laptop around anymore. Also, it can double as a gauge cluster dash for when I am just driving and not tuning. This tablet runs Windows 8.1 (which I absolutely hate the tile screen crap. Just keep it on the desktop screen the whole time). This one is the 32GB version and can also use micro SD storage to expand that as well. I would of loved a surface pro, but when once I saw the deal that is one was at with minutes to spare, I jumped on it.