WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 project thread

Bassboy3313

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Havent updated this in a loooooong time! Hopefully I remember everything. This time I will let the pictures do most of the talking. Firstly tho, the rebuilt head, intake mani and exhaust mani/turbo were reinstalled into the block. Timing covers were cleaned and painted with a new crank seal installed into lower cover.

Pulleys/trigger wheel painted and installed.

2013-07-29175353_zps373b8013.jpg

Steering rack rebuilt with new poly bushings and tie rod assemblies.

2013-06-29175141_zpsc52b3cf1.jpg

2013-07-10172357_zps3c91932f.jpg

2013-07-10181233_zps15c85322.jpg

Steering shaft cleaned and rebuilt with new poly bushing.

2013-07-13094906_zps6226ba9b.jpg

2013-07-18194931_zps17523113.jpg

Steering rack covers cleaned and painted.

IMG_20130807_184216_688_zpse0ad12b0.jpg

IMG_20130807_184951_312_zps94275a1e.jpg

New control arms installed due to old ones seized completely. This is one way to remove them, lol.

2013-07-31182006_zps7acb57e1.jpg

E12 throttle body installed.

2013-06-10201801_zpsb03e1e8b.jpg

Intercooler came in the mail.

2013-07-18173113_zpsd0e94821.jpg

Front suspension rebuilt with custom coilovers and Bilstein struts.

Old

2013-08-01195418_zpsf2defad4.jpg

Stock springs perch cut off comparison

2013-08-01201913_zps1ce995d8.jpg

Coilovers

IMG_20130806_135534_415_zpsd625e611.jpg

IMG_20130808_202015_154_zpsf4017dcb.jpg

And for a little sneak peak of whats coming in the winter …..

IMG_20130829_164841_242_zps87e2132f.jpg

IMG_20130831_174952_993_zps11185ae9.jpg

IMG_20130831_175510_823_zps85055120.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been busy with getting smaller things done and out of the way. I am hoping to have the car done and on the road for the meet on Sunday, so cross your fingers. The biggest job right now is machining a throttle body adapter from a block of aluminum. With the BAE Century turbo intake manifold and the e12 throttle body, the charge piping wont clear the valve cover. So, I came up with a wedge design to angle the throttle body slightly up to clear the valve cover. Hopefully this will solve my issue. My dad who is a machinist is working on it as I type, so I am hoping it can be done for Sunday.

Raw chunk of aluminum
2013-09-18_20_51_15__zpsbc079778.jpg

The design concept that I came up with and Brian (Snap) put into solidworks for me!
TBAdapter_zps79704046.png

Stay tuned for the final product

Really hoping it is present this Sunday. It would probably be the oldest vintage car there and maybe we could even get some generational photo action goin on with some other 3's 

You would do this at my 5er meet  :P jk I would love to see this too! Hopefully we can both pull are cars together in t-minus 2 days

• 1 month later...

It has definitely been awhile since I have updated this. Obviously I didnt make it to the 5er meet with the car. I busted my ass getting everything done and together, she just didnt want to fire up. Since then, I have been chasing this no spark issue forever it seems. I tried everything and tested everything to no avail. I was to the point of just giving up till next spring, but decided to try out the EDIS-4 and see if that got spark. First try after connecting things together and no spark as well. GAHHH!!! I then decided to completely take apart all the wiring for the EDIS since some of it the PO did and I wasnt certain it was done right. After rewiring I bench tested it and sure enough, the plugs all sparked perfectly. Threw the positive & ground in the car and once again, sparked perfectly. So, I threw the plugs back in the head, turned the key, and she fired right up, FINALLY! OH MY BAGOSH!!! I am so freakin happy!!

Now is the time to finish up the little things around the car and wire everything in permanently. I decided to go with a separate fuse panel and for the EDIS, Megajolt (MJ), and throw the gauges on it too for good measure. Most of it will be mounted in the glovebox except the EDIS module and coilpack, obviously. I used a spare sheet of plexi that I had laying around and mounted the circuit breaker, relay, fuse panel and MJ with 3M tape.

glovebox_zps28e41e62.jpg

I then went ahead and wired everything up. I decided to take the constant power and ground from the glovebox flashlight circuit since I dont have the flashlight anyways. Turns out that some female bullet connectors fit perfectly on the pins of the flashlight circuit. All-in-all I think it looks great and of course, works like a charm.

gloveboxwired_zps4df98b52.jpg

Now all I have to do is finish the wiring in the car and this part should be good to go. Then its just odds and ends stuff and hopefully I will be driving it this weekend. Fingers crossed!!

Finished up the permanent wiring and she fired right up again. WOOHOO!!! One problem is I am currently running the car with the fuel relay jumpered since that was tied in with the stock ignition wiring. I will be using output #1 from Megajolt as the signal wire to the fuel pump relay. This will allow the fuel pump to run whenever the rpm's are above a preset value by me (I will be using the lowest setting of 500 rpm). For the safety factor if for any reason the car gets disabled but the power is still on, the fuel pump will shut off once it drops below 500 rpm. Below is the diagram I will be following. Just have to compare it to the stock wiring diagrams to see how the current fuel relay works and is wired.

fuel_pump_zpsaea92da5.jpg

I also got the front sway bar installed, as well as the front alpina brace installed. I had a leaking hose from the brake reservoir to the clutch master cylinder, so I ended up removing the old one and retrofitting a new setup on. No more leaking. This brought me to bleeding the brakes again which went well, but when bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, I quickly realized its damn near impossible to bleed it by yourself. Will have to wait till I can get some assistance with that.

So close!

• 2 weeks later...

She is alive and kicking!!! Took her for a short drive around the neighborhood and the new suspension, steering, shifting all feel amazing!! Like a freaking go-kart on rails. She goes pretty nice as well with the new megajolt ignition system. It has a coolant leak which I will have to address, but at least its external and not internal. Still much more to do to her till completely done (yeah right, done), but all-in-all I am super happy!

IMG_20131117_104348_759_zps06dd4974.jpg

IMG_20131117_104338_817_zpsc7319076.jpg

IMG_20131117_104444_630_zps6f2dc45d.jpg

IMG_20131117_104412_279_zpsc6ddbe9f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

im updating your crap for you.

Last night was Megasquirt Party 2013 at my house.

I know it was a party because there were lights, music, and there was megasquirt.

Bassboy picked up an MS1 ECU and we did the processor upgrade to convert it to MS2.

Here is what an MS V2.2 PCB looks like (MS1 processor removed)

IMG_3435_zps48f3d56c.jpg

It was very simple, but just required thoroughly checking pins and wires to make sure we were soldering and connecting things to the right spot

This is the MS2 daughterboard which replaces the MS1 processor.

IMG_3437_zps2cce6bcf.jpg

We connected the ECU to the computer, ran the bootloader software, then installed the latest version of the Megasquirt firmware on it and started piecing together the initial settings and tune file. 

So far it appears that the upgrade was successful. The final test being when its up and running on the car. 

im updating your crap for you.

Last night was Megasquirt Party 2013 at my house.

I know it was a party because there were lights, music, and there was megasquirt.

Bassboy picked up an MS1 ECU and we did the processor upgrade to convert it to MS2.

Here is what an MS V2.2 PCB looks like (MS1 processor removed)

IMG_3435_zps48f3d56c.jpg

It was very simple, but just required thoroughly checking pins and wires to make sure we were soldering and connecting things to the right spot

This is the MS2 daughterboard which replaces the MS1 processor.

IMG_3437_zps2cce6bcf.jpg

We connected the ECU to the computer, ran the bootloader software, then installed the latest version of the Megasquirt firmware on it and started piecing together the initial settings and tune file. 

So far it appears that the upgrade was successful. The final test being when its up and running on the car. 

^^ Yeah what he said!

I can't believe I haven't seen this.  Just read the thread and I'm all in!  The color combo is kickass.

Engine shots?  Motor pics? 

Thanks man! I can grab some shots, nothing much has changed right now engine wise until I start the megasquirt install tho.