WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

On 3/19/2017 at 11:35 PM, KaiserRolls said:

My radio randomly stopped working during an autocross. Which is perfect because I'm removing it and putting gauges in. It was intermittent before that though, never put time into tracking it down.

I am no help

no this helps, thanks. i just said f* it and ordered a new radio. old one is a garbage pile anyhow.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:32 AM, Boris3 said:

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

got a lot done today. spent 11 hours out with the car.

1) Installed a new radio. Its a Continental tr7412ub-or. Great unit, had to order it from German ebay. No CD player, matches the e30 vintage look, and has bluetooth for music and calls. Forgot a picture...next time.

2) Waterboarded my car.  "SHOW ME WHERE THE LEAKS ARE!!" followed by dumping a bucket of water on the car. Well, the car gave in to my demands and I learned about 3 leaks. Passenger rear window is the rear footwell culprit.  Both taillight gaskets and the trunk seal are also shot. Ordered replacements. F* my wallet.

3) Removed the rest of the aftermarket security system. good riddance.

RLcXcoM.jpg

4) Installed a new heater core and pipes.  easy job except 24v makes it hard to get to the hoses on the engine side of the firewall. had to pull the wire harness out of the way and also attack it from under the car. oh, and I found the heater valve is leaking too....its a $280 part, so not sure what the hell to do with it because I'm not paying that. tried to temporarily seal it up for the moment.

eprNGKC.jpg

fB4ujzj.jpg

5) carpet time!

1st step was getting some prelimary holes cut so i could actually drop it in place for fitting. used the original carpet as a guide.

rFwy9DQ.jpg

gTrg8nF.jpg

1pCH3NX.jpg

set into place. mmm how pretty is that?

812boES.jpg

driver's footwell all trimmed up
DtKQlA9.jpg

driver's seat/belts/vent trimmed
WY9CmXI.jpg

passenger side done.

9ajkdoo.jpg

the fit of the carpet is good, not great. had to cut it in the center over the trans tunnel to get it to reach better at the door sills.
4C3yOzL.jpg

door trim back on.  it did reach both sides, but it was close.
kRnPaQE.jpg

the carpet is one-piece, instead of the factory 2-piece.  the area where the trans tunnel meets the rear seat leaves a little to be desired...

UCUysc6.jpg

but I ended up cutting up the seam and using a couple hog rings to tighten it all up which got rid of the bunching.  the 'Y' on top will be hidden by the rear seat bench.
Nm0iwN5.jpg

teaser picture!
4T17d0E.jpg

overall, a bit of work, but I'm happy with it.  there are wrinkles but I'm hoping with time they flatten out a bit. I also will revisit the trans tunnel area to tighten it up down the line. i wouldn't bother using this brand of carpet if you are doing a stock color (black, tan, etc) but for a unique color I think its pretty good. not show car standards, but I am not a show car standards kind of guy.

3 hours ago, Snap said:

Huge p

i've been told that, yes. not sure how you know, though.  creepy.

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Huge progress. Will you be making it to the picnic?

well yes, in part or in whole. hell, i will probably drive the car with basically no front end on it this weekend to the cruise.

1 hour ago, RobZR said:

nice progress!!!

re: heater valve.  some of the E28 guys have been retrofitting E46 valves with some creative plumbing.

it's just a solenoid valve, and a couple of hoses. :)

the e30 is a bit more complicated with the location (under the dash) and very specific style of pipe fittings that connect the valve to the system. unfortunately its not as easy as plumb a different valve into some rubber hoses. i'm thinking i might try and find a used unit and roll with that.

• 2 weeks later...

small updates:

rear shock tower reinforcements installed: better safe than sorry

8NVc4wE.jpg

remote entry system installed. i also replaced the drivers side lock actuator and passenger side microswitch, so now the whole central locking system and door locks work 100%, which i've never had in an e30 so that's nice.

820.jpeg

6oPpHiA.jpg

got all my seals in and replaced them.  rear passenger window, trunk, tail lights, and new rubber washers where the spoiler bolts to the trunk. of course, it hasnt rained since I did that so no definitive answer on if I got all the leaks, but lets hope.
B8ASuKM.jpg

big update:

after driving around for half a day to 5 different shops, i found a body shop to fix up my front end. i went with the one I felt was the best qualified. they also can get it done rather quickly, which is a good bonus.  i'll be way ahead of schedule for the e30 picnic.

my list of projects is dwindling! whats left:

replace windshield

repaint rocker panels

install electric fan

shadowline door trim

install summer wheels

install solid CABs

profit?

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined
  • straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped