WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped

straight6pwr

On 3/1/2017 at 11:51 PM, straight6pwr said:

we are rolling now.  the SEM stuffs have arrived.

9QlSNp4.jpg

door panels done.  here's a comparison photo for reference. its hard to find direct comparisons online so hopefully this helps someone else down the line.

i couldn't be happier with the color and coverage. covers the old color, but all the vinyl texture is all still there. the final test will be how it holds up in the long run.

AmeCfkS.jpg

I have been looking into this stuff since I got my car and just had a hard time biting the bullet to do it. is the SEM Palomino the closest color you could find I assume?

well, I wanted something in the natural leather spectrum of colors - light tan to brown. (bmw modena is my favorite) i read good reviews about the SEM for vinyl materials, so I ordered up their color sample chart and picked the best option.  my second choice was Saddle Tan, which is a brown.  you can certainly borrow the color sample chart if you want!

update #1. almost done with the interior re-dye. all that's left is the drivers seat, which was still doing duty as a drivers seat but can get pulled now.

to get every nook and cranny, i completely disassembled the front seat. its an easy job, there are some guides online that detail everything. only special tools needed are a snap ring pliers and hog ring pliers to put it back together. don't forget to check for breakages, and regrease all the pivots, gears, etc while you are in there.  luckily this seat had not broken anywhere, yet. i did use a different set of sliders as the ones on the seat were very rusty.

8JQ5H7l.jpg

this was my first experience with hog rings for upholstery work. i found a pliers/rings set on amazon for cheap. they worked well.

qSjEY41.jpg

just located the replacement rings near the originals.

O0y2ldO.jpg

looks comfy!

dApjVAF.jpg

i also reglued the edge of the door panels that were separating. a couple of methods were used. clamp/glue to glue it back.
TFqzTn1.jpg

some locking pliers to 'stretch' the material back in place while gluing.
o0uViFd.jpg

all the various plastic pieces done!
BQm8ojs.jpg

getting close!

update #2

so when i bought my racing helmet for the ice rallies, well, i obviously saw an empty canvas. i couldn't not modify it.

so i had three goals: 1)try and get a little 80s styling   2)scream BMW   3)design had to work with vinyl graphics for ease of install/removal.

a big shout out to Dave (bassboy) who does great work creating vinyl graphics. they turned out great! we have other projects in the pipeline which are equally as fun.

here was the final prototype after a couple of different versions.

AAdKYHc.jpg

converting the handmade pieces to vector graphics
Km8oYly.jpg

prototype and test print
AnSvtqt.jpg

final product
WxpUMfA.jpg

CYjcyUH.jpg

jpm2gZd.jpg

OsoURlb.jpg

7 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Great updates! 

7 hours ago, m42b32 said:

That seat looks incredible, I can't wait to see it all put together in the car!

thanks!

6 hours ago, Jdesign said:

I would love to borrow that chart. From what I have seen online, I always thought buckskin was the closest to what my interior was.

That seat looks amazing BTW. How long do you have to let it set before you can uh.....sit?

sure thing. next time you are around town just give me a buzz.

SEM recommends 24hrs before heavy use. From experience, I recommend waiting until you can't smell the paint/dye anymore. Complete flashing took a couple days, in this case.

On 3/13/2017 at 9:47 AM, Jdesign said:

Dan that color looks so nice. Ugghh now I am reconsidering the Buckskin.....

i agree, but what about the color of your top? personally, I couldn't mismatch them.

well, I'm all done with the interior, just have to install it when we get better weather. officially, the paint booth is disassembled and I can have my room back (and also have women over without them thinking I'm a weirdo).  I have somehow lost one of my memory cards (i think the cats stole it) and therefore a few pictures of the bolster replacement and vinyl repairs are AWOL, but i still have some pictures to show.

driver's seat had one crack in the frame, at the bolster.  i had dave weld this up for me

t7vU6ec.jpg

driver's side seat also had very seized mechanisms (but not broken) so a good 2-day soak in PB blaster, followed by silicone lube, followed by white lithium grease and they are all back to good.
OnwaobK.jpg

driver's outside bolster was f'd, but i replaced it with a brand new vinyl bolster and a good replacement foam. no pictures of the replacement piece before dying, for now.

5VvpEh4.jpg

and the final result! the pieces are not actually this shiny, the light in the room is super intense from the paint booth setup, so it appears that way (2x100w bulbs)

Cm0YM2Y.jpg

11 minutes ago, RobZR said:

Nice work.  Quite the transformation.     Ohh!, the single life,  turn a spare room into a paint booth and here nothing but silence. jealous!!

oh, don't be jealous of my situation.  i'm just making hay while the sun shines.

also, you own like 12 bmws and have a couple of them in pieces, so I think you're doing OK in that department B)

and thanks, everyone.

to quote brian

On 3/18/2017 at 3:55 PM, Snap said:

Four steps forward, three steps back.

got the carpet pulled today.
lZt7dtU.jpg

discovered a couple things:

1)there is water getting in the cabin somewheres (wet in passenger rear footwell)

2)my heater core is leaking

3lWfrZK.jpg

3)i think the radio is just DED dead. does that happen that one day a radio just doesn't turn on anymore? i thought it was from the aftermarket stereo/old alarm wiring that I cut to the battery, but I traced all the wires and none of them actually went to the radio, besides some rca subwoofer cables.  pictures for my further investigation.  EDIT: Just crossed check the radio/car wiring charts, and everything is in order. Also double checked for a blown fuse, did not find one. Just need to confirm the violet and red/green indeed have power.

eGgkyM1.jpg

nQC0jxD.jpg

4)there are remnants of an old keyless entry/alarm system which I have to weed out. not looking forward to this.

5)i did some work on the central locking.  when I got the car, central locking wasn't doing anything. as well, the drivers lock cylinder didnt work, and there was a separate key for the ignition. well, the PO had removed the microswitches from the door locks and they were just bouncing around in the door.... so, i rebuilt the drivers side lock, greased up all the latches/handles, and reconnected the microswitches.  luckily, that's got me half way there. central locking will lock the doors from the drivers side, but not unlock, so i think the actuator is dying or a wire is corroded on that side. passenger microswitch is dead. trunk lock seems 100% OK.

• straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I shadowlined
  • straight6pwr changed the title to Hello. My name is Dan, and today I doomsday prepped