WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
HipMF

Shop Life 2.0

12 hours ago, snap said:

Very impressive ingenuity as usual!

Perhaps these may be helpful?

its not the way its usually merged for a turbine flange but it may prevent a headache or two

https://caautoparts.com/products/2-25-4-4-1-exhaust-merge-collector-excol-225-4-ss?variant=40443660105&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8bGJ4IPg3gIVhbjACh1EFQBcEAQYCSABEgJpxPD_BwE

100FF888-7DB7-4AC0-B466-DD60719539A5.jpeg.376ebf31e94b9a9e79b19adc82ad2f3f.jpeg

If I fail at DIYing one, I could do something like that, but I don't accept defeat easily...

There isn't really a need to transition to a round tube, because the turbo inlet is kind of square-ish anyway. I planned on cutting the turbo flange to the shape of the pipes to make life easier.

IMG_20181119_145840972.jpg

IMG_20181119_145922902.jpg

6 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Might I suggest a band-saw? No really, You work a few blocks from me and I should have everything you need here besides your car. Mark what you need cut and shoot me a text and come cut it. ;D

This could be an option.

The problem isn't as much the tool that's being used to do the cutting as it is holding the tube in the proper position while it's being cut. Even if I had a nice bandsaw, I would still need a "sled" to hold the tube at the correct angle, and a way to rotate it exactly 90 degrees before making the 2nd cut.

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

This could be an option.

The problem isn't as much the tool that's being used to do the cutting as it is holding the tube in the proper position while it's being cut. Even if I had a nice bandsaw, I would still need a "sled" to hold the tube at the correct angle, and a way to rotate it exactly 90 degrees before making the 2nd cut.

That's very true, but I find it hard to imaging that Frankenstein clever set up you have not shaking you into a seizure while trying to make a precise cut. ;)

6 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

band saw for sure. I ended up getting the portaband from Harbor freight. Slapped a Milwaukee blade on it and welded up a stand for it as well. Works wonders for these kinds of things. 

Was checking these out and they look pretty decent actually. The porta-bands I've used have been way better saws than any of the cheap band saws I've ever used.

harbor-freight-portable-bandsaw-stand-ma

Merge collector saga continues...

I came up with a jig to use the sawzall contraction to cut the tubes (piece of angle iron, some door shims, and electrical tape). Tried it out and was not satisfied with the results. After that, I came up with a different plan to make a jig with the CNC router and the mill at work. However, in the interest of actually getting something done, I changed my mind and just did it the way I usually do things. The hard way.

Everything needed to build a merge collector:

V060Y13.jpg

Many hours spent on this. Will just buy a collector next time.

I forgot the camera at home, and didn't take any in-process pictures. The results turned out okay though. Some small gaps, but shouldn't cause a problem.

UHZZOUD.jpg

0J3jxch.jpg

Next step is to make a turbo flange. After that I'll finally be able to do the fun part.

Mill-drill sending a 1.5" holesaw cup through 3/8" steel like it was butter.

0CYmNj_PB8E2NOMswDRA2iu9iBg1fYbbZoEzfOcv

The trick with hole saws is to set the RPM as low as it will go and leave the belts loose to act as a clutch in case things go south. Very little heat generated, and the cup is still sharp. Could probably do this all day without wrecking it, compared to using a drill press which will burn it up trying to up drill through sheet metal...

Did some precision sawzalling

dGnIcQDpFrBlfmSXvz7RuGRzv-vKxxkRE9T0eSoV

Finished up with the grinder.

pMcUlB69rVHNplM6xiTBOin7YejO-bRi2ENCF9QQ

Flattened out the top of the collector and tacked that on.

VlUwW45qWoFtUb37JU80zxBKLcCnKfwc7V7_RcWO

And started running some tubes.

vaYyEC3L_wVsC8FMtfWLnyJiS4NR8Q2g1-RfjmSO

Looking good so far. Unfortunately it will have to come back apart to get welded. I'll have to pull the collector apart to weld 360 degrees around the tubes that connect to it. It'll be a challenge to get at everything that needs to be welded. Will definitely have to sit down and practice on some scrap before I start on this.