WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Shop Life 2.0

HipMF

12 hours ago, snap said:

Very impressive ingenuity as usual!

Perhaps these may be helpful?

its not the way its usually merged for a turbine flange but it may prevent a headache or two

https://caautoparts.com/products/2-25-4-4-1-exhaust-merge-collector-excol-225-4-ss?variant=40443660105&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8bGJ4IPg3gIVhbjACh1EFQBcEAQYCSABEgJpxPD_BwE

100FF888-7DB7-4AC0-B466-DD60719539A5.jpeg.376ebf31e94b9a9e79b19adc82ad2f3f.jpeg

If I fail at DIYing one, I could do something like that, but I don't accept defeat easily...

There isn't really a need to transition to a round tube, because the turbo inlet is kind of square-ish anyway. I planned on cutting the turbo flange to the shape of the pipes to make life easier.

IMG_20181119_145840972.jpg

IMG_20181119_145922902.jpg

6 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Might I suggest a band-saw? No really, You work a few blocks from me and I should have everything you need here besides your car. Mark what you need cut and shoot me a text and come cut it. ;D

This could be an option.

The problem isn't as much the tool that's being used to do the cutting as it is holding the tube in the proper position while it's being cut. Even if I had a nice bandsaw, I would still need a "sled" to hold the tube at the correct angle, and a way to rotate it exactly 90 degrees before making the 2nd cut.

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

This could be an option.

The problem isn't as much the tool that's being used to do the cutting as it is holding the tube in the proper position while it's being cut. Even if I had a nice bandsaw, I would still need a "sled" to hold the tube at the correct angle, and a way to rotate it exactly 90 degrees before making the 2nd cut.

That's very true, but I find it hard to imaging that Frankenstein clever set up you have not shaking you into a seizure while trying to make a precise cut. ;)

6 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

band saw for sure. I ended up getting the portaband from Harbor freight. Slapped a Milwaukee blade on it and welded up a stand for it as well. Works wonders for these kinds of things. 

Was checking these out and they look pretty decent actually. The porta-bands I've used have been way better saws than any of the cheap band saws I've ever used.

harbor-freight-portable-bandsaw-stand-ma

• 2 weeks later...

Merge collector saga continues...

I came up with a jig to use the sawzall contraction to cut the tubes (piece of angle iron, some door shims, and electrical tape). Tried it out and was not satisfied with the results. After that, I came up with a different plan to make a jig with the CNC router and the mill at work. However, in the interest of actually getting something done, I changed my mind and just did it the way I usually do things. The hard way.

Everything needed to build a merge collector:

V060Y13.jpg

Many hours spent on this. Will just buy a collector next time.

I forgot the camera at home, and didn't take any in-process pictures. The results turned out okay though. Some small gaps, but shouldn't cause a problem.

UHZZOUD.jpg

0J3jxch.jpg

Next step is to make a turbo flange. After that I'll finally be able to do the fun part.

Mill-drill sending a 1.5" holesaw cup through 3/8" steel like it was butter.

0CYmNj_PB8E2NOMswDRA2iu9iBg1fYbbZoEzfOcv

The trick with hole saws is to set the RPM as low as it will go and leave the belts loose to act as a clutch in case things go south. Very little heat generated, and the cup is still sharp. Could probably do this all day without wrecking it, compared to using a drill press which will burn it up trying to up drill through sheet metal...

Did some precision sawzalling

dGnIcQDpFrBlfmSXvz7RuGRzv-vKxxkRE9T0eSoV

Finished up with the grinder.

pMcUlB69rVHNplM6xiTBOin7YejO-bRi2ENCF9QQ

Flattened out the top of the collector and tacked that on.

VlUwW45qWoFtUb37JU80zxBKLcCnKfwc7V7_RcWO

And started running some tubes.

vaYyEC3L_wVsC8FMtfWLnyJiS4NR8Q2g1-RfjmSO

Looking good so far. Unfortunately it will have to come back apart to get welded. I'll have to pull the collector apart to weld 360 degrees around the tubes that connect to it. It'll be a challenge to get at everything that needs to be welded. Will definitely have to sit down and practice on some scrap before I start on this.

More progress.

t0Gk5k4ECN3gGSQ7SyKe1Wpj6OBynf0jis42Vay6

After figuring out where to run the last two pipes I decided to take it back apart and start welding stuff. My welding isn't pretty but it should be good enough.

3Rs4SwqaSwZwHvIHAzdFBRtmHsM4dMCpBqq1BQkd

Where I left off tonight.

TS7yaDOeXif1J2tD2_lMiyLOECEVvoBKIhzKCjf6

Test fit in the car. It's snug.

CtqpPdhn8saO6xW-7z1HMteO5DbzaTqZAjqrRXMo

I've still have some more welding to do, but I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up. It was a pretty ambitious project, so I'll be happy when I'm at the point where I can cross "manifold" off the to-do list.  Hopefully I'll have some time this week to make a flange for the downpipe. That will be the next project.

15 hours ago, snap said:

Great work, Mike! 

Im enjoying these updates

Thanks. The goal is to have the car running by April. It's hard to believe the engine has been out of the car for 7 weeks already, so if anything I'm probably a little behind schedule. The header is obviously the most complicated and difficult part as far as fabrication is considered, so hopefully things will start to come together faster after I get the exhaust sorted out.

I'm also planning to build a legit ECU harness from scratch, so that will take some time. Sustained progress will be the key to meeting my self-imposed deadline, so you can look forward to weekly updates until spring.

Thanks @patsbimmer1 for getting me nice discount on a big box of stuff from ECS.

Ro9rLiggZZOcS9OyWeTxMmZHin65ODwJYuW5dfO0

Didn't accomplish much this weekend, but the manifold is nearly done. I just need to get a longer burr to clean up some of the welds inside the collector.

xeyoG8-_SsRzz6hyJ-6DjcoGNKRLbH9scLgKIQM3

My intercooler also arrived, so if making a downpipe isn't enough to keep me busy, I can try to figure out how to get that mounted up.

CladbY0DgjklVaPuLlOmTr5YcG-SBXWITaOg_-tC

3 hours ago, Jdesign said:

What is this out of? It looks like a F30/32 intercooler?

2 hours ago, suspenceful said:

I'm also curious...

I have a stock N54 intercooler that I would've parted with.

It's from an ecoboost mustang.

An N54 intercooler is twice as thick. I might have used one, but I wanted something with normal slip-fit connections instead of the weird clippy things that BMW uses.

Ecoboost intercooler is too wide. I've only got 26" between the frame rails and I haven't been able to find anything that will fit nicely in there. This one is about 28". I was thinking I'd just do some sweet mods to core support to make it fit, but it looks like I still wouldn't be able to get it to fit where i want it. Back on the hunt for an intercooler...

Got a longer burr and finished up the grinding I wanted to do on the manifold. Back to my hobby of making artisanal turbo flanges (aka: still doing things the hard way):

The last one was easy because the shape was mostly straight lines, so it was easy to cut out with the sawzall. This one; not so much. I should have had it laser-cut like the header flange, but it's too late for that now.

6YaIihvTPIT_KDL9nRDG9k8b1cMIOky_oH_ZZPKr

D1AygxQigsOD-9EhjYxOKQ8plYyvSM6LvAy3mjg1

The dream:

S-NEaehUWv9G4hB6nnFAO5jkURmOGcKrqqZrtD24

After a lot of cutting, grinding and filing, it was on to the mini-lathe to cut a shoulder to match the turbo's flange.

nXRLs1QZaGKXn3k0RxfKMfkz-swKQRdGgtcCwb_h

fZlvyij73PApdWDL5WIp5GVjPTRcm_qCZQLO7KX0

Finally putting down some decent welds. Filets are a lot easier to make look nice than butt-welds.

QdN08FA_2FdaPWPX6oWChXlYRcqNV2fPylgc8BeB

And where I left off:

vUGCztNZrEK8SIbyRFLpjnunTO1aEiw0TIsRW_te

I was hoping to keep the existing exhaust unmodified so that I could drop a stock motor back in without having to change anything. That's not going to happen. It's a really awkward number of weird bends that need to happen in too small of a space. If I cut it back 6 or 8 inches from where it is right now my life will get a lot easier. Brake line will have to get moved somewhere less hot...

On 12/31/2018 at 4:38 PM, YoungCR said:

Keep the exhaust section you cut off and then make a matching flange, then you could just swap the turbo downpipe section out still. 

That's pretty much what I was planning. Hopefully the turbo works out and I won't need it. 🌮