WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

No home, no destination.

HipMF

Okay, not really, but I always wanted to start a thread with that title.

Not sure where to begin this story, because it's been a long time in the making. Basically, my life has gotten to a point where I've been stuck in the same rut for far too long. I've always suffered from anxiety and depression, but the past 5 years or so has been particularily hard on me. I've lost touch with some good friends, been through a crap-tastic relationship. My job was boring me to death, and being on 2nd shift has a way of sucking the life out of me. The time that I've spent hanging out at the shop has helped get me going again, so I decided to follow one of my old dreams.

I quit my job, put the car back together, packed everything I own into a storage unit, and hit the road. I'm planning to end up in Colorado, to surf an old friends couch for a while, but right now I'm in Kentucky on my way to Deals Gap (tail of the dragon).

I've got the e21 loaded with gear and I'm going from one campground to the next. I would have posted something earlier, but this is the first time I've had reception at a campsite.

Photobucket are suck, as usual, so I can't upload any pics right now. This post is getting pretty long anyway, so I'll save the travel-log stuff for another day

When I left on Friday, I wasn't sure whether this was going to be the best thing ever, or the biggest mistake ever. So far it's been awesome. This morning I found an awesome road that winds down into Red River Gorge in Kentucky. It was like a rally stage, except without the co-driver, so you have no idea what's over the next crest. Even at legal speeds I feel like I'm driving at about 70% of my abilty. Once you get off the main roads, everything is like that out here, except with houses and traffic (and churches... lots of churches)

Stopped at a mediocre Mexican resturaunt (the best kind of Mexican resturant) and had one too many dos equies. Life's good. Data reception is still crap, so no pics yet...

Okay, as soon as I crossed into Tennesee, I finally got some data. My laptop battery is dead, so I can't get the pics off my camera, but it's mostly landscapes, and those pictures are never as impressive as being there anyway.

Here's the first day at Kettle Moraine's Whitewater lake campground.

IMG_20150731_201545_zpsgjlca7cj.jpg

Nothing too special, but there's a nice scenic overlook there. When I got up there, I talked to an older couple for a while, and they suggested Brown County State Park in Indiana, so that's where I went the 2nd night. Very nice place. Great scenery, hiking, lots of things to do there. Highly recommended if you're looking for somewhere to stay in Indiana.

Last night's campgrounds was... interesting. High Knob campground in Virginia. Very quiet. Super quiet. Almost had a deserted feel. Grass growing on the beach, moss growing everywhere. I found a bag of garbage that was apparently dragged out in the woods by a bear. Not recommended at all. The road up there was super steep.

On the way out of there I went the opposite way I came in, because it went south, which is where I'm heading. After a few miles the road turned to gravel. A couple miles later it turned into a nice descent with lots of switchbacks and such. I was having a blast, so I just kept going. Made it to the bottom, and drove until I got to the next crossroads and parked at a produce stand, where I discovered.....

IMG_20150804_084706502_zps30kejupf.jpg

Yep, broken oil pan.

IMG_20150804_112610167_zpsj2upxzil.jpg

Luckily, I brought a spare pan and oil. Got it changed right there in the parking lot. The owners were very nice and helpful. I tried to clean up as best I could, but i felt bad leaving a big mess behind. If you're ever in southeast Virginia, stop in, get some fresh produce, and tell them you know the guy who changed an oil pan in the parking lot.

IMG_20150804_112921_zpswz3rckz6.jpg

From what I hear, even the brand new one have a tendancy to break if you sneeze too loud.

Stayed at Dennis Cove last night and hiked the trail this morning. Cool creek crossings amd waterfalls. Chalenging enough hike for me. Nice spot for a day trip.

IMG_20150805_100734387_zpsaw2biy4f.jpg

IMG_20150805_094333772_zps77qnmyzh.jpg

IMG_20150805_090602541_zpsd3rm0c0i.jpg

I was thinking about doing exactly that. I like your style Pat.

Found some nice twisties on hwy 221 heading west out of Blowing Rock, NC.

IMG_20150805_170232_zpse2cqfy6b.jpg

Currently I'm stuck in a tourist trap called Maggie Valley in the Smokey Mountains, and it's rainning pretty hard. Looks like this will probably be my first hotels stay of the trip. I need a shower...

I was going to recommend hitting up Lynchburg, TN and visiting the Jack Daniels distillery then heading back into Kentucky and visiting Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Bulleit, Makers Mark and Jim Beam bourbon distilleries but that's not really "on the way" to Colorado and heading back into Kentucky is definitely back tracking... and I didn't want to look like an alcoholic.

I was going to recommend hitting up Lynchburg, TN and visiting the Jack Daniels distillery then heading back into Kentucky and visiting Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Bulleit, Makers Mark and Jim Beam bourbon distilleries but that's not really "on the way" to Colorado and heading back into Kentucky is definitely back tracking... and I didn't want to look like an alcoholic.

A trip about finding yourself.....and finding booze!!

Drove from Chicago to Colorado as a kid. Pretty boring ride.

The worlds largest truck stop is on 80 just into Iowa from Illinois.

Missouri is pretty scenic. Drove thru on my way to Az a couple years ago.

I ate at that "Iowa 80" truck stop a year ago. I cant help but think that all the truck drivers get so excited to stop there. Giving credit where credit is due: its probably the coolest place in Iowa

Dubuque isn't a bad town.  There's a great burger place there called Lot One that has bison burgers and a decent beer selection right downtown.  Other than that, Iowas sucks.