WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

No home, no destination.

HipMF

News flash! The southern United Stated is hot in the summertime.

Spent a night in Alabama (hot), New Orleans (hot), Texas (hot). Sunburt on the left side, dehydrated, and bored with the scenery and roads, I passed into New Mexico (hot) and found a campsite. As soon as the sun started to go down a strong wind came through and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees. It was amazing. I sat up and watched a huge thunderstorm way off on the horizon, and then stared at the stars for a while. I'd say it was the best night of camping of the whole trip.

IMG_20150810_064329957_zpsp6vt3sll.jpg

After that I headed up to Denver. I hit a couple mountain passes on the way, and the scenery was nice, but I didn't find anything I liked as much as back east. 

IMG_20150810_081600407_zps75rhij57.jpg

Just hangin out for now. Haven't decided whether I'm going to stay here, go back to Wisconsin, or try my luck farther west...

It's been great. I think once I'm working again, I'll build a turbo engine for it. The engine that's in there now does the job, but I'd like to build one the right way. There are some other minor issues that need attention, but overall I have no complaints. It's served me well so far. Fun to drive as always.

Just hangin out for now. Haven't decided whether I'm going to stay here, go back to Wisconsin, or try my luck farther west...

You HAVE TO go through Arizona and Utah. I've been to most parts of the country and that is my favorite place in terms of beautiful, unique, and spectacular landscapes.  We drove from Phoenix to Salt Lake City, and stopped various places along the way, so fucking awesome. Couldn't imagine how much more fun it would have been in the bimmer.

If I had to name one place you can't miss its Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ. Go at noon for the best experience.

Page also has Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon Dam, and Lake Powell.

Grand Canyon obviously.

Bryce Canyon and Arches in UT.

sorry I'll shut up.

A few years ago I drove out to Mesa Az in my E39 to see some family.

On the way home I took this route.

cb1f4bbd512ac177a39086faa959ab55.jpg

If you open it in your map app/google maps/etc it does not look as straight as you see here.

38068aa9dedd1814de40fddbcc048c6d.jpg

Some of THE most beautiful roads I'd ever driven!!!

Switchbacks, canyons, scenic vistas, barely any traffic. I sound like a travel agent!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight6dan knows whats up listen to him! (And if you pass through UT I can be your tour guide or potentially help you out with some connections if you find yourself in a jam).

Chris is correct about Yellowstone but im going to disagree with him on mesa/phoenix. Very nice freeway to drive on but not much to do besides melt in the summer. In the winter its awesome for the fact that your testicular region isnt frozen to your inner thigh and you can pick oranges n stuff, its relative beauty is low on the totem pole for southwestern standards

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the road! Ate some good food in Denver and drank lots of good beer, but it's time to get going again. Had an interview over the phone for a lab technician job at ETC in Middleton Friday morning, and the took off. Did Pikes Peak, which I was super stoaked about, and it didn't dissapoint. Some people don't seem to realize they're on a racetrack though. They drive like it's some tourist destination or something. :lol: Also did Skyline Drive in Canon City which was pretty cool. It's a one lane road that runs over a long narrow crest, so it drops off on both sides. Even though I can't really afford it, I've decided to head west to see some redwoods and drive highway 1. Should be fun.

IMG_20150829_131952_zps3ynye9ei.jpg

Shortened strut tubes with shorter VW Golf inserts and ground control. I'm jealous of the way his car looks for sure. Someday I'll do coilovers. It's been on my list from the start, I've just had other priorities so far.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2167915-When-a-one-month-swap-turns-into-a-half-year-project-Christine-will-rise-again

Taking forever to get through Utah. There's just too much too do and see. I did Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and Bryce Canyon. The terrain surreal and otherworldly and it changes constantly as you travel through it. Tons of great pics on my camera, but not much on my phone. Here's a couple quick snaps from two of the campsites I stayed at:

IMG_20150829_193711221_zpssr1fonhv.jpg

IMG_20150830_195357006_zpshcmyjsvl.jpg

Arches and Canyonlands are right near Moab. First pic is from the colorado river canyon right behind arches, and the second is from in canyonlands. Hiking myself to death. Did a 2.7 mile trail with 1400ft of elevation change straight down (and then back up) a canyon wall yesterday, so driving/resting mostly today Looking to camp in or near great basin tonight.