WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/7/2015 at 7:06 AM, DrLeadFoot said:

Not much going on lately. Trying to figure out if I should mill down my S52 block to make it perfectly straight, o-ring it and run a thicker MLS gasket. Do the putty thing in the combustion chamber to make sure I'm okay.

Or..

Build up one of these m52s that I have been slowly collecting.

Positives for decking the S52:

- Use the parts that I have

- cheapest route

- more torque

- I can learn megasquirt on a used motor

Negatives:

- there was some detonation so my rods and pistons might be shot (I really don't think they are)

- thicker head gasket makes for a weaker seal.

Build M52 positives:

- take what I've learned from the s52 build and make this one super solid

- Better head gasket seal

- can run more boost in future

Negatives :

- $$$$$$$ (house projects and getting the M3 back on the road are priority.)

- Would also like to buy a Blunttech T4 tubular manifold and a big turbo for a lot of boost. $$ (I would sell my turbo, t3 manifold, down pipe and exhaust to compensate)

- 4 in downpipe and exhaust to be made $$$

- Did I mention $$$

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I interpret this as the eternal plight of every car enthusiast except for Jay Leno.

I finally drained the oil or, should I say water, out of the e30...

After being in the S54 world for a little while it is very refreshing just to be under the e30 and gaze on its simplistic setup. 

Making good progress on the S54/M3 stuff.  Getting excited to rip that motor out and get it to the machine shop.  Sitting in the shadows are 2 good m52 heads and a m52 block if anything catastrophic happened with the s52.  I have to put some cheap oil in the s52 to start it and turn the car around so I can use the cherry picker out of the garage door.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd rather take the money to build a stroker and put it into S54 turbo parts. S54 stuff is expensive and maximizing the dollar per horsepower ratio is a priority.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how I can run a traction control set up while using a stock DME. Boost, spark or fuel cut? I have some research to do.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My thought process is having a more reliable 500 to 600 horsepower set up instead of maxing out the s52 platform.

Traction control is going to be needed so I have to figure out how to do that with a stock DME.

Not too much time to sit and do research. I am working with 7 hot buyers and have another 12 who are slowly starting the house hunt. Price ranges from $90,000 to $1.3m. I keep teasing my wife saying that once we take care of all these buyers I'll have broken down bimmers as far as the eye can see!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 4/17/2016 at 10:34 AM, DrLeadFoot said:

My thought process is having a more reliable 500 to 600 horsepower set up instead of maxing out the s52 platform.

I can't imagine that 600 is maxing it out, especially how you have it built. 
You can push an m52 to 600hp on a stock bottom end (upper limit from what I understand) 

Rebuilding and boosting a completely different motor seems like way more time and money again to potentially have the same headaches.
Beyond that I don't know your inventory of motors etc. to have input lol.

Glad to see that the garage is being used again! 

• 4 months later...