WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

Still burning coolant.  Guessing that the deviation in the block didn't come out with the block prep...  I'll get in there this weekend to see what the spark plugs look like. 

Getting to drive it was still fun.  It rips pretty good while laying a smoke screen.

WTB:S52 motor

Thinking that I'll get new rings on my Imagineering pistons.  Swap those and the K1 rods over to the new crank.  Drill and tap the head studs out to a bigger size (I think Boris with the 8 second e30 is running RB26 ARP studs). Punch out the bore to 87mm then machine down the block surface.  Slap the head on with a cut ring gasket and try to blow it up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The m52 that I picked up for $380 is shot.  Cracked head and the cylinders need to be bored out due to rust from a head gasket leak.  I could use the block and bore it out to 87mm for my pistons.

Anyone have a m52 or s52 from an automatic car?  Preferably owned by a grandma who had a 50 mile daily freeway commute in a 55mph speed zone.

• 1 month later...

Not much going on lately. Trying to figure out if I should mill down my S52 block to make it perfectly straight, o-ring it and run a thicker MLS gasket. Do the putty thing in the combustion chamber to make sure I'm okay.

Or..

Build up one of these m52s that I have been slowly collecting.

Positives for decking the S52:

- Use the parts that I have

- cheapest route

- more torque

- I can learn megasquirt on a used motor

Negatives:

- there was some detonation so my rods and pistons might be shot (I really don't think they are)

- thicker head gasket makes for a weaker seal.

Build M52 positives:

- take what I've learned from the s52 build and make this one super solid

- Better head gasket seal

- can run more boost in future

Negatives :

- $$$$$$$ (house projects and getting the M3 back on the road are priority.)

- Would also like to buy a Blunttech T4 tubular manifold and a big turbo for a lot of boost. $$ (I would sell my turbo, t3 manifold, down pipe and exhaust to compensate)

- 4 in downpipe and exhaust to be made $$$

- Did I mention $$$

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Swap in an L*.........

Just kidding

I vote option one with the s52 since it is the cheapest route and you can enjoy the car while doing option 2 if you so please=) 

I'm leaning this way. Thank you for the input!!

If I do a LS it would be in a Datsun 240/280z. I have my eye on a mint 280z at a buddies just getting dusty in his barn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Usually o-ring and MLS isn't recommended as it's a metal layered gasket. O-ring and factory gasket is what people do it O-ringing. Do you know how much you would be milling down? With low compression pistons MLS usually isn't needed. Unless you think your going to be increasing the compression that much which I wouldn't think the issue would be. Eitherway run e85 and you won't have an issue. If you think your pistons or rods have issues send them out to get analized. They can tell you with doing an xray on them. Better be safe then sorry.