WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Back story is that I was interested in the oil filter housing he posted. I told him I would do cash and a stock one. When I got his I knew it wasn't right and wanted to send it back to him. So I wasn't going to send him the one that was part of the deal, as I wanted to reverse the deal.

No replies are missing from me, that's just how he sent it lol, check the timestamps on each post.

173cc19e2f1c3c5d400c494eb3fa1c52.jpg

I think the correct terminology is a check valve. It's holds oil in the filter housing to prevent a dry start. A coworker recalls buying them online somewhere for like $5 but doesn't remember where. It looks like you are missing some material there. What motor is this off of? The housing I posted is from a M54 for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The housing is from an S52 Euro, or S54 as they both use the same housing and a factory oil cooler.
It is not a check valve, it is a thermostat. It lets ~10% of the oil past it when the oil is not at temp. and once the oil gets to temp it opens the thermostat and diverts ~90% of the oil through the cooler. 
The check valve for these is right under the actual filter. 
Edit: is that a picture of the block? M54's don't have metal OFH's to the best of my knowledge. I have only seen plastic ones on them. 

Well it's a deal.  I am leaving the great state of Wisconsin.  Moving to Austin, MN area.  I am now a senior electronic technician for our Engineering R&D group.  I think this will be a fun job, basically a junior controls engineer. 

Now to sell my house...  Anyone want to move to Platteville?  Everything redone on the house, nice warm garage with 60A 240 service...

What prompted the switch?Sent from my potato phone

A good majority of the work I do in the door industry would be considered ironworkers work.

Rolling doors, high speed doors, fabricating, dock equiptment, etc.

The carpenters and ironworkers unions both recognize that there aren't enough of either to do all the work. "Composite crews" (one of each) are allowed. Hiring guys out of the union halls can be hit or miss when it comes to door experience....more miss honestly.

With me having 20yrs experience and approx 20 more years to work it makes good sense to switch and be a "company" iromworker.

Hope this makes sense.