WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

So, I dropped my car off yesterday for $1500 worth of work (IMS, RMS, AOS). Today I got the great news that my flywheel is fucked, and my clutch is about 200 miles away from being fucked.

They quoted $1800 for parts (very reasonable actually). I found the parts with some crafty shopping for $1200, so I'm looking at nearly a $3000 bill with my exhaust bypass included. Surprisingly I'm not even upset, car should be good for at least the next 5,000 miles 1shifty.gif

Is the car overheating?What do the solenoids actually do?

No temp gauge on cluster, and Vanos-ie stuff.

No signs of overheating, no warning lights or anything to alert of issues. They cleared the codes at the dealer... And no CEL since?!? Car has been on/off 3 times, about 50 miles... And nothing indicating any issues?!?

Is the car overheating?What do the solenoids actually do?

Vanos selonoids control the cam timing via oil pressure.

The seals in the selonoids that came factory installed from the fatherland are said to slowly lose their sealing ability between 60-100,000 miles.

The dealership will replace the entire selonoid assembly with the same seals. There are aftermarket companies that make replacement seals (Besam Systems) for approx $100. It is a diy project from what I understand.

I finally contributed something useful to the forum!!!