WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Well they offered me the job and I countered that I would like to see more or a signing bonus to help with moving expenses.  So we shall see what happens tomorrow.  It is more of a lateral move as far as pay but has potential for future growth.  Now I am maxed out so it would be a good move in that regard.  Or is anyone here looking for a controls engineer?  Lots of Allen Bradley experience.

How much have you bargained for when moving to a new position/job? 

Ive never asked for more money than the position was advertised for. it might be a loss on my end but I really dont haggle numbers on anything. If a glass sea turtle in mexico, 1993 camry on craigslist, brand new car at the dealership etc seems to be a fair deal to me, I pay asking price and go on my way.

Maybe i suck at life

Ive never asked for more money than the position was advertised for. it might be a loss on my end but I really dont haggle numbers on anything. If a glass sea turtle in mexico, 1993 camry on craigslist, brand new car at the dealership etc seems to be a fair deal to me, I pay asking price and go on my way.Maybe i suck at life

I don't think that means you suck at life.

I'm sure you also do plenty of research before your sea turtle, Camry, new car, etc purchases and know that what's fair is fair.

Karma also comes back to bite you if you "act a fool" when haggling......

Well they offered me the job and I countered that I would like to see more or a signing bonus to help with moving expenses. So we shall see what happens tomorrow. It is more of a lateral move as far as pay but has potential for future growth. Now I am maxed out so it would be a good move in that regard. Or is anyone here looking for a controls engineer? Lots of Allen Bradley experience.

How much have you bargained for when moving to a new position/job?

I have bargained every promotion and lateral move I have ever had and a couple merrit raises. There is usually room somewhere for you to get something especially if you were sought out for the position. Relo costs are usually more easily negotiated than salary because its a one time payment usually and the total relo price should be negotiated post-tax. Research the market ypur moving to and if its an increase in cost of living then try to negotiate that increase into a salary anf sell it as a hardship if you take the position. This is assuming benefits are all the same. You may find that there is nothing more they can give you but a chance at an increase/ptomotion later on and if thats the case then ask for a timeline.

Negotiating a guaranteed review after 6 months with an opportunity for a merrit raise is another angle you can try. Thats more of a win-win situation and your betting on yourself then.

one thing I always keep in mind when promises are made though... the guy making them isn't guaranteed to be there to follow through when the time comes. Get a signed offer letter.

Good thoughts, I did not bargain when I started here but I was right out of school.  Now it is for a different position within the same company and have developed relationships and reputation that I feel it is acceptable.  I was also referred to the position by someone visiting the plant for a project, who would be a close coworker in the new position.  Benefits, PTO are all nearly the same, my main reason to go would be that the job would be in line with my career goals.

Thinking about it now I have a much better idea of what i am getting myself into than going to a new company which is a huge plus.  I already know and get along with my potential new boss and have met most of the people I would be working with.  It is still hourly so overtime is compensated.  Downsides are relocating to the Austin MN area.  It's not really any closer or further from family (Wausau) but will be a decent amount of work to sell our house and move everything including my stupid e36...  Unfortunately being hourly the typical policy is that there is no relocation assistance.

If there is no relo assistance then I would SERIOUSLY think about the pros n cons. Thats a huge financial and emotional burden to take on for a lateral move. I would definitely aim for assistance. A u haul for that move is going to be around $600 plus the cost of a realtor and gas/food/hotel to take trips to find a place to live, etc. I would say the move is going to cost at least $1500 and more if you have to get storage until you find a residence, stay in an extended stay hotel or throw money at rent.

Longevity is great and the opportunity for growth is wonderful but fuzzy feelings aside for the co-workers, if your 2 year plan doesn't recoup your investment plus a return in 5 then the move is a hardship and unnecessary.

Thats my devils advocate piece for the day.

Sometimes you just gotta swallow the pill to get in the door.

That's what she said?

If there is no relo assistance then I would SERIOUSLY think about the pros n cons. Thats a huge financial and emotional burden to take on for a lateral move. I would definitely aim for assistance. A u haul for that move is going to be around $600 plus the cost of a realtor and gas/food/hotel to take trips to find a place to live, etc. I would say the move is going to cost at least $1500 and more if you have to get storage until you find a residence, stay in an extended stay hotel or throw money at rent.

Longevity is great and the opportunity for growth is wonderful but fuzzy feelings aside for the co-workers, if your 2 year plan doesn't recoup your investment plus a return in 5 then the move is a hardship and unnecessary.

Thats my devils advocate piece for the day.

It isn't a completely lateral move, about 2$/hr.  But that isn't a huge amount.  The big thing is that the job is a junior controls engineer which is the direction I want to go.  Currently I am a controls and instrumentation tech.  It is good that my wife is insistent on what you said about needing to pay off in less than 2 years.  We balance each other :P .