WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

Thanks! Have to give credit to one of my friends, you may know him. He was with me at the last meet I was at, he really knows how to run all of our metalworking equipment!

We are working on that yet, may just end up with a DC motor for load, or an exercise bike flywheel.

Sent from the future. Or my phone, who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I don't update this thread often enough.

I got my oil pan, and got the 12an return welded to it. Local shop did it all for 30 bucks!

IMAG1758_zps7b295a2e.jpg

So I worked on some body work in the meantime, having ordered almost everything I need to drop the engine in.

remember those pieces I was working on? Well they got trimmed up and I worked on welding one it today

IMAG1761_zps846d0de3.jpg

added a bit of JB weld to the side that is normally spot welded to hold it in place for easy welding. Starting tacking it on, now mind you I am using a 90 dollar harbor freight special flux core welder.

IMAG1763_zps23ed0c91.jpg

Got a bit hot in a few areas and went through, not a biggie, turn down the wire speed a bit and carry on.

IMAG1765_zps8b83349c.jpg

Got the wholes patched up and lots of tacks in (especially for a non structural piece)

Then grabbed the die grinder and started working the welds down a bit

IMAG1767_zpse7dc78d7.jpg

Looks so gross this whole time, but then you take some sandpaper....

IMAG1768_zpsa72809ed.jpg

And make it look decent! Needs more sanding to rough it up again, and to feather out the surrounding paint and then start taking the body putty too it. Pretty happy with how it is turning out (especially for one of the first times doing this)

Tomorrows challenge is staring at me... and this one will be very visible from the outside of the car.

IMAG1762_zpsb023d626.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From the first tacks

IMAG1770_zps159f2ce1.jpg

To full tack

IMAG1779_zps5fc91e4a.jpg

Sand/Grind

IMAG1783_zps7fc681ef.jpg

Few layers of body putty.

IMAG1786_zpsb0797f41.jpg

And paint time, the car is VW Tornado Red from 09-13 so I ordered a can of that from automotive touch up paint (base-clear) and sprayed it

IMAG1828_zps8ca4feac.jpg

The clear coat didn't fade well and that was right after unmasking it, so I wetsanded it a bit to try to blend that a little better. End result.

IMAG1833_zps98928b62.jpg

And from a distance

IMAG1836_zpscbc56c53.jpg

The paint is impressive for being a spray can, this is how it lays without touching it.

IMAG1829_zps8006f60b.jpg

Also touched up the spots in the engine bay

IMAG1826_zpse98e5e43.jpg

IMAG1825_zpsd73b92f8.jpg

As you can see got the new windshield in and the dash back in (that sucks...) 

In the process of putting the dash back in I decided to remove the PO's aftermarket Viper alarm system.

IMAG1830_zpsd3978b41.jpg

Honestly a two year old could have bypassed it, all it consisted of was a splice in the black/yellow ignition switch at they key. Needless to say the install was a hack job and there were a few untaped open wires which may explain my random short....

Got the new gauge plate and test fitted that, I like the way it looks!

IMAG1831_zps491e6d0e.jpg

MegaSquirt got assembled, and cased up

IMAG1809_zpsa474af4f.jpg

IMAG1817_zpsafe9ede0.jpg

Nice clean package! The two bundles going into the ECU got covered by that black ribbed crap so now it looks a bit better.

Now to get the motor in the car! Waiting on some parts from Pelican and Penske to finish up the motor!

• 2 weeks later...