WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

In lieu of having a snow day I decided to do some work!

Started off by fabing up a intercooler mount, it is a bolt on piece because I didn't want to weld onto the body for it, and it actually ended up being easier to mount it this way!

Posted Image

Looks simple but silly things like that take a long time to make! Will be painting all of it soon.

Then took out my windshield because I had some bubbling under the paint on the drivers side A pillar, which was really bothering me. I have never taken out a windshield before, but dang is it easy!

Was greeted by this!

Posted Image

Nice hole, and the bubbling is all still in there....

And then on the passenger side there was a bit of bubbling going on. It didn't look too bad, but wrong again!

Posted Image

I think I will be cutting these pieces out of good shells and welding them into the car, so I needed to do one more thing to ensure that it would be easy.

Posted Image

Bye Bye dash! Actually wasn't too bad to take out!

And here is another shot of the A pillar rust, from an odd angle of course!

Posted Image

More to come!

So got around to a bit of playing today, back when I had planned on the v8 I started to cut off brackets and other little stuff in the bay to clean it up a bit. Well now I wish I hadn't but oh well.

I was planning on just taking care of the spots I left with touch up paint from paintscratch but I have a bit to cover... and the engine bay is not body color (aftermarket respray on the outside, paint came back as tomato red which is a newer vw color lol)

But after bouncing ideas around with my pops I decided to just spray the whole bay in a single stage, so I will probably leave it how it is for now and do some putty in it to make everything smooth again, but then wait till it gets warmer out and just spray it!

Posted Image

That was after some masking and priming, kind of gives an idea of how much stuff is ground down.

And scraped more paint off the A-pillar :(

Posted Image

Plans for that so far is to cut it all out and jb weld/ weld patches in from the inside and then body putty the difference.

S'all for now folks!

Two things,

So my sunroof is very rusty, bubbling style and it needs to be replaced. Problem is that my car in not painted with OEM paint, and the CLOSEST match is vw tomato red from '10-'13 cars but it is not necessarily a perfect match and would be pretty pricey to paint so my thought was to do the 3m Di-Noc carbon fiber. It is a textured carbon fiber vinyl that is quite wonderful, but I am trying to decide if the black patch would look okay up top so I was wondering what other people think, I was thinking of doing it in either flat black or spraying it with a gloss clear coat to make it look more realistic and have the gloss. Thoughts?

Also, would anyone be interested in any cosmetic Carbon Fiber parts or even fiberglass parts (if you like the look of CF you can get fiberglass that looks like CF). I have had some experience with fiberglass and would like to try to make some basic parts to start and then maybe work my way up! Parts could not be full circles and that is about the only complication.

• 1 month later...