WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

Got the trans off the motor today, took the clutch and flywheel off and stuck it on the stand!

Also was looking into clutches a bit, I think I will end up getting a clutch masters stage four setup. This would use the stock dual mass flywheel, a six puck rigid ceramic disc and an HD pressure plate. Called them up, guy was helpful and said it would be a great setup for up to 620 flywheel torque, and that the stage three would only be good to 425hp so that would be lame. The pricing is the same between the stage 3 and the stage 4 kit, so why be concerned about not being able to hold the power when its the same price?

$585 for the pressure plate and disc..... shit, this is going to get expensive real quick!

Edited by GunMetalGrey

Alrighty, so I did some cleaning yesterday!

The motor was gross, as most motors are.

Posted Image

It all looked a bit like that to begin.

Posted Image

ignore the valve cover, that is getting special treatment :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the pile it left on the floor was ridiculous, filled up a dust pan!

Other than that, looking at MS setups, I think I will end up with an ms3x setup!

Got the head off recently, nice easy process without VANOS! I was a bit concerned about how the inside of the motor would look, but I was greeted by this!

Posted Image

Honing is still there, no ridge where the piston stops, no wear on the cams ect. Super happy with it!

Ordered new piston rings and rod bearings and am currently saving for ARP and MLS!

Anyone have recommendations on how to get the rest of the stock gasket residue off?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it just got new rod bearings, rod bolts, head bolts, all piston rings replaced, the head is going to be decked the smallest amount possible to make sure it mates well. Bore is beautiful, and you can has wiring harness and ecu if you need it.

Not sure what you had in mind for price, would you need the e36 oilpan? Because I still have that hanking around.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice that I suck at build threads? I do!

Got the head redone, looks real nice and shiny!

Got ARP studs and a .14 MLS gasket, painted the block a lighter gun metal grey (ha, get it?) and put it all back together, along with new piston rings and rod bearings and all new bolts. I have the turbo, its a holset HX35, ordered an intercooler.

Got a ZF, lots of stuff. All good fun!