WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

Quick fun story. Went to stance with Tim in the m50'd e30. Had a blast, but on the way back the highway didn't agree with our oil pan....

IMG_20130825_162704_917_zpsc511c4c5.jpg

IMG_20130825_163644_997_zps077c2c9d.jpg

The car got taken via tow truck to a friends nearby college were it sat overnight while we arranged a way to get it back to Appleton (pan blew out about 5 minutes away from the stadium.)

IMG_20130825_184223_570_zps9df0729a.jpg

Got a race trailer from a friend and headed down with his dads truck to pick the car up. Got there and he went to get in the car to move it, he pulled the handle and it was locked, reached into his pocket for his keys and just gave me that look. He had forgotten the keys to the car... So the drive back to appleton started. Luckily a friend grabbed the keys and met us in Fondy so we could save some time. Drove back down and got her all loaded up.

IMG_20130826_172106_533_zps1f72cced.jpg

Brought her home safely! 

Update time!  

Finally got MegaSquirt to work, was having issues with getting the fuel pump to turn on. Turns out that I solder in r39 instead of r40. Duh. So that works now.

Have been getting more little things done lately so there is no large visual differences. Got my injectors for a steal from a guy on r3v, got my front calipers rebuilt.

Put in one of my last orders for parts before she should be on the street! 

IMG_20130913_175616_zpsae2e0df7.jpg

And before it gets asked why there is another motor in the garage I will share! 

Tim (deadskittles) had my m50 swap in his car, and a friend had an s52 in his e30 and the s52 was burning a german ton of oil per hour. Tim jokingly asked if tyler would trade him. And he did. So tim obtained an s52 burning tons of oil. Time to tear it apart. 

Things were odd (other than the fact that oil seeped out from the intake gasket when we pulled off the intake manifold, everything was suuuuper clean on the inside. Like, oddly clean.

Friend of ours eric notices something stamped in the cam, we take a peek.

IMG_20130901_113101_532_zpseb299a53.jpg

Well would you look at that, schrick cams! Thats insane, s52 is awesome, cams are even better. 

So we continue pulling it apart when we notice something else.

IMG_20130901_124729_945_zpsd7d48d5e.jpg

Stamped into the head, hmm.

Google led us to find out that Bavarian CNC does CNC port and polishing and oversized valves..... Holy hell, she was turning out to be a very interesting motor.

Kept working and got ready to pull the head. Popped it off and sure shit she had more secrets inside of her. After meticulous cleaning...

IMG_20130830_121050_466_zps64de63fd.jpg

CNC'd pistons, custom of course.

This thing had a history for sure.

Started looking into the pistons and noticed that some were sitting oddly in the cylinder so they got taken out. The findings were less than desirable.

IMG_20130903_184311_993_zps41782c40.jpg

IMG_20130903_184726_845_zpsb8542974.jpg

All of the pistons were toast... Looks like someone never upgraded the stock injectors and just overheated the cylinder walls. 

After much deliberation he decided to drop the money and get the block bored out to 87mm and get new pistons (similar to what was in it) but raise the compression to 11.5:1 while in the process. Make the thing really rip! 

So that is the story on that for now!

That's all for now!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, got spark working on megasquirt after realizing that I never plugged in the motor to body harness connector  <_<

Have some pipes with a friend to get bungs and fittings welded into them for my sensors and ICV and BOV. 

Got the 3" stainless exhaust, came with a 4.5" exhaust tip! I had planned on running that this year yet but I decided to just turn an elbow out of the turbo and run the exhaust right out of the hood, screw trying to make a full exhaust work for a few days! 

Got the e36 M driveshaft in, quite a bit larger than the e30 driveshaft. And the input seal on the diff leaks.... magical. Looks like that will just slowly drip until I feel like taking the damn thing out again.

All is well, things are progressing, slowly but I am still planning on getting it broken in before snow.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20131004_234854_zpsc458a482.jpg

Know whats cool? When you get your oil in, then start pouring in coolant and find that it is flowing out of the front timing cover! F*ck 

Everything was ready to go, and then that happened. Tried to crank it to make sure it had rpm signal, didn't have that either so I guess it will be awhile again.

There went the though of getting it out before winter...

Alright! Got this bad boy!

IMG_20131015_161908_224_zps82aa12f5.jpg

The fancy dancy BMW crank holding tool! Remove all of your crank bolts without feeling like you are going to snap the f*ck out of some random part! Beast is beautifully crafted with a 1" shaft for the handle, 1/2" mounting surface and a beautifully penetrating weld. Top stuff right there boys!

Assemble your crazy ass setup,

IMG_20131015_180528_112_zps05bf0d8d.jpg

I opted for the harbor freight jack handle on a craftsman 1/2" ratchet, some may prefer the snap on variety, but whatever you have will work. 

Then simply pull on that sucker pretty hard and you will hear a nice loud crack, now if you are young you will know that it was not your back giving out from the pressure, but much rather the 22mm jesus bolt cracking loose (stretch bolt) 

Pull that noise out, remove your tool and slide the front timing cover off, realizing that you left a bit of old oil pan gasket hanging around (oops) 

Inspect your gaskets, and find things like this.

IMG_20131015_181547_397_zps0ace1030.jpg

Note the orange area, there was no gasket there, at all. just gone. some sort of small bmw demon came late at night and ate it all up. This causes leaks, ask me how I know.

New gaskets come in tomorrow, and maybe if there are no other gremlins running around it will be started.

Also, never follow anyones wiring diagrams, I have had to chance many aspects of mine for megasquirt to get it to work which all could have been avoided if I would have made my own diagram. Live and learn, and learn I have!.

October 24th marks the 1 year date from when the motor was pulled out of this, and I hope to have the car started before the one year mark! 

More breaking news tomorrow!

• 2 months later...

Damn its cold out! 

I never really updated this, as usual lol.

I got the car started a few months ago, and it was running hella rich (MS tuning time!) and it was pushing oil into the turbo (added a restrictor to the feed line)

After I idle'd it up to temp while playing with the idle and tuning it, which was fun , zach walked in to help me get it out and tune and pointed to the rear of the car and it appeared that about half of my gas was on the ground.

I dropped the tank and found the filler hose rusted almost completely out, so I got a new tank put that bad boy up in there.

I started putting some of the front end back together, and need to do some other small things before it will be able to get on the street, but it is way to damn cold to work on it as of late!

More later!