WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

It was a total bitch to get it started, due to the simple fact that MS will run absolutely anything so getting the values set to what you need is a chore. I cannot wait for all of the benefits that come with it though! I started just by tuning the VE table and warmup enrichment to get the AFR's to come closer to where they needed to be. Tuning the car while driving is the only way to do it effectively so I have to wait for spring! 

http://s756.photobucket.com/user/gunmetalgrey/media/VID_20131028_154202_114_zpsaa0c7570.mp4.html

Don't know how to embed in here lol

It was a total bitch to get it started, due to the simple fact that MS will run absolutely anything so getting the values set to what you need is a chore. I cannot wait for all of the benefits that come with it though! I started just by tuning the VE table and warmup enrichment to get the AFR's to come closer to where they needed to be. Tuning the car while driving is the only way to do it effectively so I have to wait for spring! 

http://s756.photobucket.com/user/gunmetalgrey/media/VID_20131028_154202_114_zpsaa0c7570.mp4.html

Don't know how to embed in here lol

Did you input stock m50 AF ratio numbers(??) into the MS or just shoot from the hip?  Is there a source that tells you what they are? 

Once you get it on the road you can log in/adjust all the AF ratios at 23% throttle from idle to redline.  Then move to 24% and do the same?  I think Snap answered me on this but I need it to be beaten into my head to understand. 

Lastly, lets say you went on a 3 hour tour through stop and gos, hwy cruising and rage drift stretches.  You can park the beast and lay in your bed and go though all the mapped throttle angles and AF ratios and smooth them out?  Wake up after endless hours of adjusting, plug the labtop in your car and upload the new tune and do the process all over again?

Thanks for guiding the blind man.

Shoot from the hip really lol, I have an AFR gauge that is wired into MS and has a standalone gauge, it runs off of MAP and has no MAF.

RkkyS.png

That is the table that tuning is done on, given the values on the Axis are different than mine, but it is the same idea. I can tune on the fly, all changes are immediate and once they are burned to the ecu (which you can do while driving) they are set. 

The tuning is all just shooting for the AFR you want, and there is a assisted version to help smooth out large areas (automatically tunes to values that you set) 

I am the god of my engine in short, there are more options and settings and I/O's than I know what to do with !

how can you possibly expect me to read a post thoroughly before replying?

sheesh. 

well thats good to hear then. That VE table is too rich and too lean between columns (averaging out to the desired AFR during interpolation) and could be smoothed considerably.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So when I last fired up the e30 it was leaking oil from the front part of the engine and needed to get that taken care of. I looked at it and saw that there was a gap in the gasket, which happened to be the old gasket still on the block. What the hell Ben. 

So either I pull the engine, or drop the subframe.

IMG_20140411_161622_264_zpsee80b424.jpg

I went with the drop the subframe route, and bought the engine holder dealio, pretty slick deal.

IMG_20140411_161503_848_zpsaf627b6f.jpg

How low the subframe will go!

IMG_20140411_161518_314_zpsa1c7e250.jpg

Amount of blurry space between the subframe and pan.

IMG_20140411_162106_380_zps2946f1be.jpg 

PAn out!

Problem is here....

IMG_20140411_162745_417_zpsce70278d.jpg

IMG_20140411_162801_383_zps1e6dee65.jpg

Disappointing that I missed this

Cleaned it up and just waiting to get the pan back on till the morning! So far so good.

Got the new toolbox in the spot I want it, and still haven't cleaned up around it ;) 

IMG_20140411_161633_205_zpsff099a84.jpg

And a picture of my tweaked out eyes for fun!

IMG_20140326_170719_203_zps5854c3dd.jpg

More for later!

So I finally got the gasket all off, it was like someone used grey gasket sealer back in the 80's and it sat and got melted to the block. Total PITA to get it off, but it is all gone now so that is good. I added a few dabs of non hardening gasket maker to the timing cover and rear main cover to seal the gaps well and put the pan back on. 

I then started pulling the engine harness apart, because 88pin connectors are dumb. More on that later!