WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

HipMF

• 2 weeks later...

Got the wiring all hooked up today. Turned the car on and heard that annoying door buzzer for the first time in months. All of the indicator lights and what-not seem to be functioning properly. The previous owner had run new wiring for the old fuel pump, but once I found the ground that wasn't connected, the original wiring worked fine. I jumpered the relay and ran the pump to flushed out the fuel line. Everything's looking good so far. I've still got some things I need to do, but if everything continues to go well I could be firing the car up tomorrow. Super stoked.

Haven't found the source of the leak yet, but it's something on the lower front of the engine.

I wanted to see if the awful exhaust note was because of the muffler, or the long straight pipe between the muffler and the header, so I did what any teenager would do. Pulled the muffler off and went for a spin. Still sounds like crap. Lot's of crackly, raspy things happening. Will probably put the cat back in, or maybe a glasspack, depending on which looks easier.

M42's sound terrible without a resonator in the system. My girlfriends e30 sound exactly like your e21 currently and it js terrible lol. The gasket between the upper and lower timing covers in the most likely suspect to leak on m42's=/

The oil was being pretty sneaky by running down the crack between the timing cover and the upper oil pan over to the passenger side, but it does appear to be coming from the oil filter housing. Hopefully that will be an easy fix.

The way that I ran the exhaust makes it hard to put the cat back in without redoing a lot of it, so I'm looking at getting a tiny muffler with the inlet and outlet on opposite side that will fit in an 8" by 12" space. Surprisingly I was already able to find one at Summit.

The gasket between the block and the lower timing cover.

When I was assembling the engine, I grabbed the gasket and bolted the cover on without thinking anything of it. Then when I got done, I noticed that I had an extra one of those gaskets... odd. By this time I'd forgotten that the other gasket was a different style, so I assumed they had just put an extra one in the package by accident.

Needless to say, they weren't the same at all. The one that I put in the first time was for an M44 engine. The gasket set that I ordered was only listed as fitting M42s, so I had no idea that there were any M44 gaskets in the set. Luckily nothing was blocked off by the gasket, and everything that needed to get oil was getting oil. I guess it's my own fault for not paying closer attention.

IMG_20150722_154623975_zpschqd5my3.jpg

Thanks Earl.

It's back together now. No more leaking fluids that I can see. I also got the resonator installed and the exhaust sound a helluva lot better now. There are still a couple small issues that I need to track down, and some things that need to be buttoned up, but it's a runner and a driver now. I haven't gotten on it too hard yet, but the M42 definitely pulls harder than the M10. It's been so long since I've seen it with a hood on, it actually makes me double take when I walk past it. Hopefully I won't have to take it back off again for a while.

IMG_20150725_170333384_zpsvthwzcpz.png