WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

HipMF

A heated shop in the dead of winter is the best thing ever.

Sunroof? No thanks.

IMG_20141130_102340419_zpsfb184982.jpg

Mice...er...mess under the intake... being dealt with..

IMG_20141130_193943851_zps0eb02a78.jpg

PITA? Yes. Does it make the car go faster? No.

IMG_20141204_021145011_zps015323d4.jpg

The most phallic automotive accessory ever? Probably. Does it make the car go faster? No.

IMG_20141204_021152975_zpsdf53f01e.jpg

Tenacious rear springs...

IMG_20141204_021208571_zps355578ef.jpg

shit to do.. (STDs?)

IMG_20141204_021258515_zpse25ba80c.jpg

What the hell is in your airbox? 0_o

Insulation. Looks like the blown-in type as opposed to the stuff that comes in rolls. Also helicopter seeds. Probably from a Maple, although there are other trees that produce them as well (Box Elder for example...)

Trunk carpet.. can haz??

PM if you're interested. Normally I'd give something like that away, but I have a heated shop space to pay for now, so $10.

The wheels are Rikens. They were on my e21 when I bought it and they are e21 offset so they stick out a bit on the e30. So far they're the only set I've come across, but I haven't really been looking. They look good on both cars, but right now I like them better on the e30. They'd look better yet on snaps car, but I don't have any interest in the 17s. I would like to to find some 14" or 15" BBS RAs for the e21 though....

post-3449-0-09245100-1398879420.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas E30!  Got some H&R "super sport" lowering springs. They're supposed to be the same rate as the sports, only a half inch lower.

IMG_20141217_232602802_zpsbcd9e92f.jpg

So, as long as I had the struts out....

IMG_20150103_194454611_zps454fe23a.jpg

I figured I'd freshen up the suspension a bit. New LCAs, strut tops, sway bar bushings, end links, dust shields, etc....  Cleaned up some rust and added a little paint.

IMG_20150108_240738472_zpsef72ab1b.jpg

And the winter-bimmer is back on the road.

IMG_20150112_205437556_zpsbb4dc365.jpg

The old-ass tires are horrifically bad in the snow. So I think I'm going to put some winter tires on the IS meshies and run them. Lots of things that still need attention, but I just want to drive it. If there's something that annoys me too much it might end up back in the shop, but for now I have other projects to work on.

Feels good to back in a bimmer.

Super sport is a much better choice than the regular sports. The regular sports are a nice upgrade from stock but much too short for how relatively soft they are.

Ignore the wheelgap informants. I think you are someone who understands the ill effects of significantly lowering the roll center.

Very low cars look cool but are often a burden to drive

I couldn't find any solid info on the spring rates for the different springs. The assumption is that the super sports would be between the regular sports and the race. Seems odd that the "race" springs are more expensive...

No plans to get crazy with the low. I want the car to be a practical daily driver. As is it already attracts a little too much attention for me (the good and the bad kind).

Bust.

IMG_20150121_011339704_zps471658ce.jpg

Luckily it was just me in the car, and there was no other traffic. I'm fine, but the car is not.

I'm a bit wary of posting too many details on a public forum, but suffice to say that bad decisions + bad driving + bad road conditions + bad tires = shit-damn-fuck. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the sheet metal, but I smashed the hell out of the oil-pan too, and then tried to drive it home without realizing that there was no oil in the engine. Just got the engine on the stand today, and it's not pretty.

I've been in denial for almost a week now thinking that I'd get it back on the road, but it might be time to throw in the towel on this one.

Bust.

Luckily it was just me in the car, and there was no other traffic. I'm fine, but the car is not.

I'm a bit wary of posting too many details on a public forum, but suffice to say that bad decisions + bad driving + bad road conditions + bad tires = shit-damn-fuck. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the sheet metal, but I smashed the hell out of the oil-pan too, and then tried to drive it home without realizing that there was no oil in the engine. Just got the engine on the stand today, and it's not pretty.

I've been in denial for almost a week now thinking that I'd get it back on the road, but it might be time to throw in the towel on this one.

I saw it at the shop today. My heart ached. Rear quarter is pretty fucked. Sucks that the motor had to go with it.

Throw a motor in and beat the piss out of it. Feel free to hit me up if you need a hand with anything (I'm talking about the car).