WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

HipMF

That's cool. I'm from Menasha, so you're not that far from me. I might have to take you up on that some time.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the you need to keep the tube the same size as the port, but it's probably not a bad idea to do it that way. To do it right though, you have to look at the area of the opening, not the perimeter, as well as the length of the runner from the valve to the end of the tube.

The engineering concept that you're looking for is called "Helmholtz resonance". The wikipedia entry does a good job explaining it. The mass of the air in the runner causes it to have inertia, and the atmosphere outside the tube essentially acts like a spring. Putting some mass on a spring gives you a resonator. Changing the diameter or length of the runner changes the mass of the air inside and tunes the resonator to a different frequency (rpm).

The bolt pattern is the same but they're a little wider. If i switch to vented rotors I think they'll bolt right up. Otherwise I may have change the spacer between the two halves. I'm confident that they can be made to work without too much work.

I've heard that they're used as an upgrade for air-cooled 911s too, so I feel lucky to have picked them up for a reasonable price.

Full size Chevy ftw! I don't think I got a picture of it but the last E28 shell I scrapped was hauled on a uhaul 6x12 utility trailer with the tailgate down because it was 14 ft long. I also dragged the shell out of my garage on frame with the burb.

Edit found the pic! Luckily with the snow I was able to rotate the shell by myself and then winch it on the trailer. Which leads me to the question on how you lifted the shell into the truck bed? Haha

post-2724-0-41944400-1425235677_thumb.jp

I was surprised, the empty shell of a car is actually pretty light. Three of us lifted the front up by hand, and then used the engine hoist to lift the back up and pushed it in. Sounds simple, but it was a bit of work. I think it took about an hour start to finish.

Aside from the damage to the fender, core support and quarter panel, it was also pushed in maybe an inch at the B pillar. Also needed an engine, gas tanks, rear subframe/suspension refresh, the diff had a little bit of growl... I wish I could have done something with it, but I just don't have the time or the money right now and don't have anywhere to store it long-term.

The upside is that I can focus on the e21 now. Before Ben stopped at the shop with a z71 and a crazy idea to shove an e30 shell in the bed, I was working on getting the subframe cleaned up and removed the part where the drivers side motor mount was. The m42 motor mounts are farther back, so I have to weld new pads onto the subframe where they come down. Also dropped the suspension and started cleaning, cleaning, cleaning....

no_horn_zpsmggxrurq.png

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled a sting to see how straight the driveline was going to be. It's attached to the diff flange in the rear, and I used the height of the output flange of the transmission to set the height of the string at the front of the car.

string_zpszy4u4w2o.jpg

I put a pipe across the frame rails so that I'd have something to measure off of after I put the engine and trans in.

string_pipe_zpslqu0upvk.jpg

Whoa... that's not good. The front of the engine about an inch and a half low. Not a huge angle, but enough that I think I'm going to make a new transmission crossmember to compensate.

low_zpsjur4rxvb.jpg

After I was happy with everything I welded up the crossmember and bolted it up to my mock-up engine. It's been a long time since I did any welding, but it turned out pretty good.

subframe_zpstaaxsemw.jpg

mount_zpsseickxon.jpg

I was going to work on mounting the center support bearing today, but I forgot to order the the little dust shield that goes on the driveshaft, so I put some candy-colored bushings in my LCAs instead.

candy_zpsqvy3gq8f.jpg

Making progress, and it feels good. thumbup.gif

Ah... hard to say. Still have some work to do in the bay before I can paint it. The block is still at the machine shop waiting for pistons. Hopefully they will come this week. Then reassemble the engine, put it in the car, wiring, exhaust, fuel pump and lines, 10 other things that I forgot about and will probably have to wait on parts for.... hopefully early May? Late May is probably more realistic though.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice!

I've been in a bit of a lull lately. Took me a few tries to get the center support bearing mounts for the e30 driveshaft done right. I finally got my pistons and dropped them off at the machine shop. Hopefully I'll have the block back by next weekend. It's been a long time since I made any visible progress, so I decided to put the front suspension back together and put the car back on the ground.

fullspeedahead_zpseqvi900e.png

I wheeled it outside and rinsed a couple months worth of accumulated dust off of it and now I'm totally stoked about getting it back on the road again. Spent a few hours today scrubbing down the engine bay. Will probably put some paint on it this week.

This is what I like to see. A small forest of unused jackstands!

unused_zpsikoogpor.png