WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Totaled my 135i

i_love_cars

Monday night was a bad night for me. I don't usually drive in the rain, and coming home from soccer I usually take 45 S until i get to Capital DR, then take that west all the way to hwy 16. If I had done that, I would have avoided the rain that night, but alas I promised a coworker I would string her guitar so I went to Brookfield to guitar center and as a result took I94 home. Well, until I got to about Springdale overpass, made a lane change, and spun out (traction control wasn't on and it should have been - i rarely drive in the rain and by habit I always turn it off when I start the car) and crashed into a median. Luckily I didn't hit anybody, and the cops cited me for not controlling my vehicle. They gave me the optional court date and I just said "you don't really think I'm gonna fight that one do ya?" lol. 

Wife was with me, we are both ok - I lift and she doesn't, so quite honestly my upper body absorbed it a lot better (according to the doctors anyway) so I have 0 after effects and am totally fine but she has a lot more soreness. Took her to the chiro today and her xrays showed that her spine up by her neck was crooked and angled towards the front of her head. Luckily it's not permanent, and with 6-12 weeks of treatment will be okay again, but in the meantime it's like she's constantly aggravating pinched nerves whenever she isn't looking down at the ground. 

So overall, considering we crashed into the median at 60 mph, we got damn lucky. BMW did a hell of a job with safety. The front end is smooshed but it completely stopped pushing in by the front of the wheel - the bumper absorbed a ton of the impact very well. All airbags deployed. The cabin area was completely intact, however, other than the radio faceplate popping out. 

As for what I do now - well, I got my beater 1999 Corolla working so I have a car to drive, but I'm not sure. If anybody has a beat on a 135i with a stick for sale, let me know. I'm not fully convinced I want the car payment right now, but I certainly am not ruling it out. I had the car towed to my garage today so I can swap out the LSD from the back which is still intact of course, and that is tempting me to look for another 135i and put the LSD on that one and start over. I've got the car for a few days before insurance takes it to the scrapyard, so I will try to inspect downpipes and see if they are salvageable as well. If I decide NOT to buy another 135, I will sell the LSD and start saving for an M2 whenever they come out. 

Without further ado, here are the photos: not for the light-hearted. It's a travesty to see. 

DSC00087_zps24ca2329.jpg

DSC00100_zpsa480a7b2.jpg

DSC00088_zps0043b832.jpg

DSC00089_zps5014ca24.jpg

DSC00090_zpsd7569cba.jpg

DSC00091_zpsa2e633fa.jpg

DSC00092_zpsf4b8d02b.jpg

DSC00093_zpsd91f7e43.jpg

DSC00094_zps452296b5.jpg

DSC00095_zps33fccdc7.jpg

DSC00096_zps549e96cb.jpg

DSC00097_zps82e4e76d.jpg

DSC00098_zpse0ce26b6.jpg

DSC00099_zpsb4826572.jpg

Whats important is that you are okay, hope the wife has a speedy recovery with no long term aches.

Now thats out of the way.

ARG! I love(d) this car! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to experience it. Hopefully in a while you can say "in a way im glad i had an accident in the 135 otherwise id have never gotten into my new (insert awesome vehicle here)"

Snap texted me a pic the other day and I was surprised how well the front end absorbed all of the crash.

Hopefully your wife recovers quickly. Whiplash and spinal injuries are no joke. Luckily you guys didnt sustain any other injuries.

I vote for you to get a compact, buy the car back from insurance, and then swap the n54 into the compact. That would be one insanely fun and fast car=)

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the good thoughts.  :)

I've been chatting with a guy in VA who has a very clean 135i for sale and as long as it's still available by tomorrow and insurance doesn't screw me over, I will be putting a deposit down. 

however, if it falls through and I can't find another suitable 1er, then susp I will definitely hit you up about the LSD - I already uninstalled it last night and it's all good. I got a screamin deal on it for 1700 bucks (pre-2007 335i bolted-on ring gear, complete with pumpkin) and I could easily sell it for 2k+ but I'd obviously just sell it to you for what I paid for it. 

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the good thoughts.  :)

I've been chatting with a guy in VA who has a very clean 135i for sale and as long as it's still available by tomorrow and insurance doesn't screw me over, I will be putting a deposit down. 

however, if it falls through and I can't find another suitable 1er, then susp I will definitely hit you up about the LSD - I already uninstalled it last night and it's all good. I got a screamin deal on it for 1700 bucks (pre-2007 335i bolted-on ring gear, complete with pumpkin) and I could easily sell it for 2k+ but I'd obviously just sell it to you for what I paid for it. 

I sent you a PM :)

That's a good looking car!  You should swing by Lustine Toyota and look at a sparkling graphite metallic 335i for me while your in Virginia lol

i will literally be driving right past that dealer on my way home. If you are serious about it I could take a look. 335 is not an easy car to find with a manual trans. 

i will literally be driving right past that dealer on my way home. If you are serious about it I could take a look. 335 is not an easy car to find with a manual trans.

Well shit! I was kidding but of its not too much trouble I would really appreciate it! Let me know when you will be out that way and I will make sure the sales guy I have been talking to has it for you. I have been putting some serious hours into finding a sport package 335i 6spd sedan with decent miles.