WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

I've decided I'm pushing my luck running 16"x9" ET5 wheels on wheel bearings of unknown age/wear, so decided I need to do them ASAP.

Anything I'm missing for rebuilding the rear wheel ends?:

-Wheel Bearings/Races for rear.

-E-brake shoes, hardware, e-brake cables.

-Rear rotors/pads.

I'm assuming the front bearings are pressed into the hub, any local shop should be able to press out/press in?

Going to Harbor Freight to get the bearing puller everyone says works well for the rears.

I've decided I'm pushing my luck running 16"x9" ET5 wheels on wheel bearings of unknown age/wear, so decided I need to do them ASAP.

Anything I'm missing for rebuilding the rear wheel ends?:

-Wheel Bearings/Races for rear.

-E-brake shoes, hardware, e-brake cables.

-Rear rotors/pads.

I'm assuming the front bearings are pressed into the hub, any local shop should be able to press out/press in?

Going to Harbor Freight to get the bearing puller everyone says works well for the rears.

I just went through this same ordeal. Check you bushings, brake lines, and sway bar links too while you are down there. I swapped my diff, but once I started pulling things apart I noticed that I just needed to buy new everything  :mellow:

I just went through this same ordeal. Check you bushings, brake lines, and sway bar links too while you are down there. I swapped my diff, but once I started pulling things apart I noticed that I just needed to buy new everything :mellow:

I already did all the bushings and brake lines - forgot about sway bar end links tho!

Anyone have a good source for a 16" electric fan? CATuned has 16" straight blade SPAL fans for $100, but I thought the straight blade fans were "louder" then the tornado fans.

Also - while driving this past weekend occasionally if I hit a large bump the car would "die" for a 1/2 second (engine and all electronics off momentarily). I'm thinking its a loose ground or power wire. Other then the battery and grounds in the trunk and behind the PS strut tower, any other grounds I should know about?

I would replace all the parts in this diagram as that's what I did this past weekend on the E34.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E30-2-doors/USA/325i-M20/1990/browse/front_axle/wheel_bearings/

Procedure looks like it should be the same and I was able to use a standard puller.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Suspension/WheelBearing.htm

Got it up in the air and started taking the rear apart. Original axle nut had some crazy locking plate I didn't understand... So after much help from Earl... I didn't listen and just reefed on the nuts with an impact till they bent the washer thingies.

All things can be fixed with an impact.

Didn't get a ton done tonight, but it's in the air and in process so hoping to bang this out over the next couple nights. Where I left it:

0F8E9474-0D5E-4C72-8217-1CE4255EC243.jpg

Not enjoying doing these wheel bearings one bit...

Stuck now on the rears and not sure how to keep going. Rear axles are out, brakes are all apart... And the DIY says to remove the bearing circlip... Which I can't seem to locate.

From the outside of the car looking in: there's just the hub with open center splines... When looking from the rear I just see the back of the bearing and hub - no big ass circlip. Do I have to pull the hub off and the bearing circlip is being that?!?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally feeling well enough to get back out into the garage!!!

Exhaust is off, rear is all apart except the snap rings/bearings and 1 hub... Looks all downhill from here!!!

All new shift linkage bushings arrived this week as well, so gonna do a quick and dirty shifter rebuild while the driveshaft is out.