WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Sure - looking to make a solid version?

Yup! I also like to have cad files on all the parts I can!

We are putting an extra m50 head under the rover arm tonight and will be measuring the intake and exhaust flanges, and possibly the combustion chamber as well.

I don't always build things just to save money or whatever, I like the experience of building it, and I often learn much more about the part by doing so.

Thanks for supporting my enthusiasm :)

Yup! I also like to have cad files on all the parts I can! We are putting an extra m50 head under the rover arm tonight and will be measuring the intake and exhaust flanges, and possibly the combustion chamber as well. I don't always build things just to save money or whatever, I like the experience of building it, and I often learn much more about the part by doing so. Thanks for supporting my enthusiasm :)

Which Romer arm do you guys have? They're excellent measuring devices. The thing that sucks is they're only accurate to +/- three thousandths, unless you have a newer arm=) We have the Stinger II at work

Sorry for the thread jack Collin. Keep up the good work=)

Which Romer arm do you guys have? They're excellent measuring devices. The thing that sucks is they're only accurate to +/- three thousandths, unless you have a newer arm=) We have the Stinger II at work

Sorry for the thread jack Collin. Keep up the good work=)

Holy crap I was told it was accurate to +/- a thou! Not sure, but I know it is a stinger! 

My cousin said he would be willing to help me romer arm the engine bay of my car :) Not that would be cool! designing manifold on solidworks hmm....

Really sorry about all this thread jacking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report on lately. Ordered a poly steering coupler from Ireland Engineering - that came in mid last week but haven't had a chance to install. Just ordered new motor mounts and trans mounts from Condor last night, hopefully those arrive soon.

Trans mounts might be a bit much in the NVH department, but give em a go and let us know.

I read through the R3V thread on them over the weekend and got mixed feedback. It seems a lot of people daily them, but Condor and some others don't really "suggest it". I had BFI mounts in my Jetta and loved them, hoping throttle response is similar with these.

Anyone know how the UHMV mounts do over time? Are they affected by heat at all (my mounts in the mk3 were significantly more "harsh" in colder temps) and do they "break in" after a period? I'm not too worried about them, as the car isn't a daily and because Racekor.

Theres no breaking in, 

One item of comfort is that you will have less vibration than the Jetta had right off the bat with it being an inline 6  vs non-balance shaft 4cyl.  Colder temperatures will cause them to vibrate more. The effect is exaggerated in rubber mounts since their hardness vs temperature change is much larger. 

These last 2 weeks slipped away from me, I was hoping to drop off a bunch of parts for paint before Scooters (front valance ducts, DS mirrors, etc...). Summer is always alittle crazy for us.

We're starting our "summer hours" this week at work, which means I'll get one afternoon off a week on a rotating schedule. Hopefully those afternoon/evenings can get a lot accomplished on the car.... If I can keep my wife from making me do house projects.

Repost from the E30 tech thread - thoughts?

To those who have installed solid trans mounts in an E30. I just finished installing my solid engine mounts and trans mounts, and took the car for a quick test drive (1989 325IS, fairly stock M20). Engine/trans vibrations are fine, throttle response is great.... but under load between 3k-5k I feel a "rumble" from the driveline. I'm not sure if it's a "trans vibrating tunnel/chassis" rumble or a "Might lose a driveshaft" rumble. Any experience with a similar noise/vibration from others? I'm well aware I'll be feeling more vibrations and such through the car, but this one immediately had me going "uh-oh".

Also - are the OEM trans mounts a "straight through" design? When I removed my original mounts, one mount had the studs a good 1/2" or more "off alignment" from one another. Not sure if the new trans mounts "corrected" this misalignment and is causing a vibration - or if that's totally acceptable.

Alright, I'm calling the vibration "not okay" and blaming it on a driveline. I'm gonna pull the driveshaft to get balanced, and get a new guibo and CSB. Having never done either, any words of wisdom.

Still debating on doing before scooters or not. I can likely have parts on Wednesday, but that's cutting it alittle close to reassemble (in case I run into any issues).