WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Alright... I've got acouple big "things" I want to get done before next weekend when a friend is going to shoot some pics of the car. I'm alittle over budget on the car stuff this month so trying to find some relatively "cheap" fixes for the following. Hoping for some insight:

Fog Lights: My drivers front fog light lens is cracked and broken apart - and I don't want to spend the $160 for a new assembly when I only really need a lens. I can't find anyone - anywhere selling the replacement lenses. Anyone have one laying about - or know of a super secret place to get a set of lenses?!?

Taillights: I would like to change the existing orange corners to red. I've found acouple DIY ways, which all appear promising... But having never seen in person I'm alittle afraid of the outcome. Has anyone done it or seen in person to give opinions?!?

IS trunk spoiler: The original spoiler is sun cracked and faded (looks like crap). I've seen people say "repaint it", but being a semi-pliable "rubber" I'm not sure how to prep or if it's a good idea. I'll eventually get a replacement, but for the time being need the current one looking better.

Any help or insight would be great.

I've sanded down an iS lip spoiler before and used a filler primer followed by black trim paint. Don't know how long that would last as I sold the car shortly after. Looked great for the time being.

The DIY all red tail lights look pretty good in person. Not sure how well that paint stands against UV but I'm sure you'd be fine since you garage your car.

Perfect - If the spoiler doesn't turn out great I'll happily replace in a month or 2, just want it looking better then it does now! I'll pull it off the car and see what some light sanding and filler does. I guess my worry is the filler flexing/cracking since the spoiler isn't rigid.

Trying to get random exterior things cleaned up by this Saturday so a friend can shoot the car. So I apologize in advance for the random questions I'll have:

-What is supposed to go in the center front bumper "knockout"? (The long horizontal slat openings in lower front valence). My car had the lower plastic intact - but nothing in the upper hole.

-Anyone know where I can find a front bumper towhook hole cover for the bumper? Missing mine and tried ordering from GAP - they called me back and said they're out - and bmw is out.

-Anything I should know about ordering replacement front/rear emblems for the trunk/hood? Are they always OEM - or should I know anything about knockoffs/printed/etc...

Didn't know about GutenParts - I like that they have their stock levels on the website! Thanks John!

As I'm looking at the bumper valence inserts - they only show one (which appears to match the one I have currently). Is the top slot supposed to be empty?!?

Getting my order together for Guten right now - I'm assuming others have purchased from them? Pretty quick order turn-around?

Been crazy this past week trying to get the car tidied up! Got a foglight, new colormatched roundels, painted some trim and re-did the trunk spoiler, and dyed/painted the rear parcel shelf and rear speakers/grills.

Reassemble tonight, hopefully adjust the ride height a pinch, and do a wash/detail before Saturday!