WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Thanks guys! I'm just anxious to get it back together and get in some wheel time! I'm not doing nearly as much cleaning and coating to everything as I wanted - but given the compressed timeline before good weather *should* be arriving... I'm okay with it.

Now I just can't wait to get the wheels back with the centers colormatched - and the shaved centercaps!!!

Thanks - They are essentially a 1-piece "remake" (knockoff) of OZ Turbos.

Here's my dilemma: went to install the subframe and the camber adjustments plates are hitting the under side of the body. I kinda went overkill and installed the subframe riser AND the weld in camber adjustments - I believe the risers are causing the weld-in adjustments to hit because they're now 12mm higher. Here's my options:

-Buy the "standard" height subframe bushings and hope everything fits.

-Cut off the tops of the existing weld-in camber adjustment plates

-"Flip" the existing subframe riser bushings and reinstall subframe (flipping the bushings should gain me the clearance - but I'm worried about "lowering" the subframe and offsetting my camber adjustment - and what it might do to my driveline angles).

Open to suggestions: leaning towards cutting off tops of current weld-in subframe risers, or flipping subframe risers. Not crazy about ordering $160 bushings, waiting for them to arrive, and hoping those don't hit too.....

886A5D21-DF74-4F69-A446-C49F17704D62.jpg

B42CF732-9C45-4CFE-93ED-D45F8C9858E8.jpg

61AB1C7B-290D-4CE0-BD37-BEA2D631FD11.jpg

Well - had another good night in the garage last night. Pulled subframe back out, flip-flopped subframe bushings and removed subframe spacers and reinstalled. We had some issues getting the metal sleeves that run through the subframe bushings into the underbody "pockets", but half an hour of wiggling and "adjusting" with a BFH they finally slipped in.

The weld-in camber plates clear the underbody now.... But not by much. I do have acouple questions:

-Do I reinstall the original large washers that were sandwiched between the subframe bushings and body? I did - just wasn't sure if I was supposed to.

-When I drop the big rear suframe bolts through the holes/bushings about 1/2" is sticking down through the bushings. I was expecting more - so tried tapping the bolt down with a socket extension but it didn't seem to want to go down. Does 1/2" of thread sound about right? When you tighten down the nut from below, does the splines of the bolt seat down and gain me more thread?

-I've seen 70ft/lbs for the subframe nuts - and "get tight as possible". Thoughts on torque spec?

on mine, I torqued them to 70 lb-ft ish or whatever the spec is and it didn't seem quite right to me so I snugged them down by feel. 

I couldn't find anything on the trailing arm torque specs so I checked for free motion without the shock attached and snugged it down until it started to bind just a bit, then backed it off to where it still freely rotates, I used nylock nuts and loctite.

Also, yes, the washers get re-installed, otherwise the shear area on the bushing will be reduced and will wreck the bushings sooner 

Well - had another pretty good night!

Subframe is up and bolted in, rear coils are in, ebrake and driveshaft are bolted in, rear seats are in, new front sway bar end links and steering boots are in, new front tie rod ends are in.... Didn't install the new swaybar bushings though when I ran across this:

DE57DF74-5598-48F1-9970-AE1D69FE8DDC.jpg

Apparently the passenger front sway bar bushing mount was broke/stripped at some point and a PO or shop did this. I'm going to leave bushings "as is" until I can replace the front substructure.

I've always had a "thing" for wood wheels - but I do have to admit I'm undecided on if this one is gonna stay. The same wheel with brushed silver center - but wrapped in black leather - could be on the "to do" list.

I've got a long list of stuff to do though before I get to that point!