WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

I'm LOVING that intake mani above!!!

I wonder what the power band would feel like to run a intake mani like that NA, with the intention if running boost in the future? I'm assuming a slight lose of low end torque, but possibly a slight gain at higher end (depending on runner length and size). I'd want internal full bell radius stacks integrated into design....

Very easy to do with m20! Especially if you aren't incorporating itbs. But I bet you 50$ that intake manifold won't flow better than stock NA.

Very easy to do with m20! Especially if you aren't incorporating itbs. But I bet you 50$ that intake manifold won't flow better than stock NA.

Stock NA? You're probably right. With some standard bolt-ons tho (cam, chip tuning, bigger injectors, etc...) I wouldn't be as confident.

A log manifold will have much nicer acoustics/induction sound than the stock M20 manifold. I would do a custom log manifold before ITBs, you will still gain awesome sounds, especially when running MS with a map sensor. 

A log manifold will have much nicer acoustics/induction sound than the stock M20 manifold. I would do a custom log manifold before ITBs, you will still gain awesome sounds, especially when running MS with a map sensor. 

So you believe ITB's with boost wouldn't be really worth it? I could build a regular manifold this weekend... hmmm. 

I can swing buying the materials and labor for a good log mani in fall - I don't think ITB's and everything to do it "right" are my budget for this fall. :(

Here's what I would like to see:

-Tapered plenum that clears stock brake booster

-Velocity stacks (preferrably full bell radius that protrude "into" the plenum - but brake booster clearance could be an issue)

The main issue I see is the brake booster - clearing it restricts the runner lengths.

Velocity stacks are always beneficial. 

Instead of removing the brake booster, I would probably opt for runners that are angled forward so that the runners and plenum clear it just fine.

Im thinking buy some aluminum 130 degree mandrel bends and do a bundle of snakes like the M5, though all the snakes would be pointed towards the back of the drivers side headlight instead of all over the place.  This would not only help with the clearance issue, but it would also allow you longer runners to keep the mid-range happy

m5_intake_stacks_copy1.jpg

He means a runner angle like this:

B85EC324-8042-4EAE-940A-FAC078BE8052.jpg

Which would work best for NA if you can clear the booster (or delete it). Longer runners will give more torque in lower RPMs.

I love this idea - I'm not sure it's a "whack it up and weld" kinda job - but I don't know your fab skills either. Regardless - if I stay M20 this is most likely course of action in fall!

If you keep the M20 carbs would be a unique look. http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67286940-NA-M20-with-TK-goodness

If you're going for big power go 24v.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mention of ditching EFI for carbs  and ditching M20 for 24v  

all in one post.

I cant handle this.

If you keep the M20 carbs would be a unique look. http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67286940-NA-M20-with-TK-goodness

If you're going for big power go 24v.

Mention of ditching EFI for carbs  and ditching M20 for 24v  

all in one post.

I cant handle this.

Haha. That post has Snap written all over it!

He means a runner angle like this:

B85EC324-8042-4EAE-940A-FAC078BE8052.jpg

Which would work best for NA if you can clear the booster (or delete it). Longer runners will give more torque in lower RPMs.

I love this idea - I'm not sure it's a "whack it up and weld" kinda job - but I don't know your fab skills either. Regardless - if I stay M20 this is most likely course of action in fall!

If Anyone has a CAD drawing of an m20 manifold flange, I could CNC a flange, and not use the stock stuff at all, but then I would also have to build injector bungs, and then it starts getting costy(for you guys). 

I was going to use the stock manifold, and cut the flange, to try and keep the cost low for the people. And its damn easy. 

But I do have material for 3 Intake manifolds for supercharged m50's currently

I am adapting a gen 3 eaton m90 to 24v's, but I am also thinking about doing it to an e30 :) 

But I do not have velocity stacks yet(wasn't going to use them with the supercharger) and I don't have those little bends. 

But why did you say 130* snap? 

Started replacing front tie rods last night - didn't know BMW used a lock plate to hold the inner tie rods.... Which apparently needs to be replaced since you ruin them removing the originals.

So dealership will have some for me tomorrow - car sits until then. :( So no alignment before Saturday. No happy about it - but not super concerned either. Rear toe looks good, car tracks straight, camber is alittle off side-to-side but not enough to worry me for 200 miles.

After the GTG.... Time for some painting and coating in the bay before Scooters.

E36/Z3 does not use lock plates. 

I just used blue loctite on my Z3 rack and have had zero problems with it.

Ask anyone about what a sane and gentle driver I am and you will take comfort in knowing its kosher :D

My compact uses them 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG53&mospid=47505&btnr=32_0630&hg=32&fg=25

It also looks like other e36's use them

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG13&mospid=47485&btnr=32_0630&hg=32&fg=25