WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

None on the Z3 though

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CJ33&mospid=48094&btnr=32_0630&hg=32&fg=25

I
 am using E30 tie rods with the Z3 rack, there is nothing special about the Z3 rack that would aid in tie-rod retention. 

The primary reason for the lock plate from my own observation is to keep the inner tie rod from loosening during an alignment. 

But take what I say as typical forum hearsay, I was not present in the ZF steering rack design meetings to be able to know the exact reasons why. 

Im not from here. 

Yeah, I don't think it'll be a big deal. I'm more upset I'll have zero wheel time to troubleshoot any issues before hoping on a highway tomorrow AM. We're having both sets of parents over tomorrow night for a birthday dinner for my mom - so can't get wrenching until after that...

If it wasn't for the last minute - nothing would ever get done.

162 miles on the car Saturday.... Drive quite well.

Steering rack has some play in it, just enough to vibrate the steering wheel and be annoying, so putting that on my short list of stuff to do before Scooters.

Current list to accomplish before Scooters:

-Paint/Replace exterior trim pieces (vents under windshield, etc...)

-Get windshield replaced

- Install stereo system (replace deck, get sub/amp in, etc...)

-Tear apart engine bay and paint/coat/remove/replace so it's more gooder looking.

Also promised my wife I'd get re-started on finishing our basement.... So gonna be some long nights and weekends this month again!

If the steering rack has slop in it and it is not related to tie-rods, loose mounting hardware, loose steering shaft collar nut (airbag cars only) or worn steering coupler, then you could try adjusting the gear lash in the rack by tightening the 22mm screw on the bottom of the steering shaft housing. Something to try before going for a whole new rack

If the steering rack has slop in it and it is not related to tie-rods, loose mounting hardware, loose steering shaft collar nut (airbag cars only) or worn steering coupler, then you could try adjusting the gear lash in the rack by tightening the 22mm screw on the bottom of the steering shaft housing. Something to try before going for a whole new rack

Or get z3 rack

Excellent - I'll give it a try!

I do have a spare steering joint with good u-joints that would be a perfect candidate for a flex disk replacement in case you find its the u-joints that are sloppy.  The steering joints pull a premuium, new or used anytime before or after race wars.

24/7