WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Hit up Harbor Freight tonight - picked up their biggest pair of snap ring pliers which look like they'll be perfect for the rear wheel bearings! Also a multi pack of the bitch clip style "hooks" which will hopefully help get the clip off easily.

Had a very productive night tonight... AC is all removed, all the power steering is deleted except 1 line, radiator is pulled.... Not too shabby for 3 hours work with the help of Josh.

Hopefully can have another good day/night tomorrow on it!

All the stuff not going back into the bay:

628CA6CB-AAB9-4282-83DC-37BB452F7BC3.jpg

Hey any of that AC stuff still work? Specifically the condenser. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say for sure. PO thought it worked just had a freon leak somewhere in system. System was empty when I removed, everything is intact and in decent shape though.

Rear bearings are out!

Called the local AutoZone who assured me they had a bearing press kit to rent (had them check to make sure it had a bunch of round dies). Drive up there... It was a race driver kit (essentially round dies with a hammer attachment for hammering bearing races into place). Went to hardware store and bought a threaded rod and some washers/nuts and tried to make my own press.... And couldn't get enough pressure on the bearings. Finally bit the bullet and went to Harbor Freight and bought their kit ($96 after 20% off coupon)

5 minutes later they were out.

I broke my Craftsman impact in the process - cant remember the last time I abused an impact that bad. Drained and refilled my compressor like 3 times while beating on the bearings. Actually started to cross thread the big ass threaded rod in that kit in the process!!!

Was pressed for time tonight so didn't get a lot done - however I got my power steering delete plate from Condor installed and started mocking up fan mounts for the radiator. Still got a TON to do before Scooters:

-Install new rear bearings and re-assemble rear end.

-Finish dropping forward portion of exhaust and heat shields, then yank driveshaft.

-Drop shift linkage and rebuild, install Giubo/CSB/driveshaft/exhaust

-Install and wire in new radiator with electric fan

-Pray all this work will fix my driveshaft vibration.

Gonna be some busy nights, if anyone is local and wants to sling wrenches LMK. Garage is warm and beer is always cold.

What rebuild kit did you go with for the shifter?

I wasn't really thinking when I ordered everything - I wanted to get the order in so parts could get shipping ASAP and should have done more research. I ended up going through and ordering all the original piece-parts to rebuild. Didn't do a short shifter or Delrin parts.

Alright - could use some advice on what to do. I've been thinking through this drivetrain vibration issue and wondering if I screwed something up:

When I pulled the rear subframe, I did the weld-in camber and toe adjusters AND the Condor subframe risers. Upon installation of both realized.... You can't really do both; raising the subframe pushes the newly welded in toe and camber adjusters into the underside of the car. In a rush to finish the car and get it road worthy - I flipped the subframe bushing upside down and installed (essentially lowering the subframe slightly?).

When you install the subframe bushings - they also send some spacers to mount between the subframe and diff to space the diff down (to compensate for raising the diff and changing your driveline angle). Those spacers essentially lower the diff as well.

I'm thinking I should remove those spacers between the diff and subframe?!? I think I essentially lowered the subframe AND the diff.. Which should have dropped my driveline angle quite a bit off from stock orientation.

I have no idea how much "play" there is in driveline angles to know if this is totally fine - or if my lowering the rear threw off the angle and caused my driveline vibration (or prematurely killed the rear u-joint of my driveshaft?)

I don't recall exactly when the driveline vibrations started - but 90% sure the vibration wasn't noticeable when I reinstalled the subframe. I remember feeling the vibration right after I installed the condor motor and trans mounts. I'm assuming the newly firm mounted tyranny made the vibration more noticeable?!?

Side note: I'm doing all this work because I had a nasty driveline vibration above 2.5k-3k RPMs - which is why I'm replacing the giubo and CSB. Just trying to cover all scenarios to ensure I can get this fixed and enjoy the car again ASAP.