WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Are you keeping the oe aux fan? If not it's super easy. Replace the fan switch on the passenger side of the radiator with an 80/88c one (stock is 91/99c) from a 318, its plug and play. The hook the large wires that go to the oe fan to your new one.Sent from my potato phone

Was the old electric aux fan JUST for the A/C system, or was that thermo switch there as a "safety net" to the fan clutch (if the fan clutch failed and the thermo switch hit its temp - it would kick on the elec aux fan?!?).

If so - what you're describing makes perfect sense. Swap to a lower temp switch, and it'll treat the old aux elec fan as a primary cooling fan. Then it's just splice in the new fan and call it done. I'm just confused by if/what I need to change with the thermo switch (if at all?)

wiring is my least favorite thing to work on in a car. Eventually I'll need to bite the bullet and wire up a JB4 and meth kit so I can spray, but definitely not looking forward to it.

The above instructions make perfect sense to me, however, it doesn't sound like you have exactly the same parts/setup. Without a way to visual what's what, I can't be of much use. If I could see what wires run where and how they are connected to the sensors it would make more sense :(

Swing through Oshkosh tonight - drinks are cold.

Was the old electric aux fan JUST for the A/C system, or was that thermo switch there as a "safety net" to the fan clutch (if the fan clutch failed and the thermo switch hit its temp - it would kick on the elec aux fan?!?).

If so - what you're describing makes perfect sense. Swap to a lower temp switch, and it'll treat the old aux elec fan as a primary cooling fan. Then it's just splice in the new fan and call it done. I'm just confused by if/what I need to change with the thermo switch (if at all?)

You got it. The aux fan was for both. But when you have just an electric fan you want it to come on sooner. No cutting of anything except the actual fan power wires to connect them to the new fan. You can verify your thermoswitch is correct, it should have stamped on one of the hex flats "80/88". If you were really fancy you could get a 2 speed electric fan. I will try to look at a diagram tomorrow to see if the low speed relay turns off when the high comes on. If they are just both on in a high temp condition you would wire it to the low speed circuit. I just kept the oe aux fan on my e36 so it had low/high. But the e36 aux fan is way better than the e30 one.

Sent from my potato phone

You got it. The aux fan was for both. But when you have just an electric fan you want it to come on sooner. No cutting of anything except the actual fan power wires to connect them to the new fan. You can verify your thermoswitch is correct, it should have stamped on one of the hex flats "80/88". If you were really fancy you could get a 2 speed electric fan. I will try to look at a diagram tomorrow to see if the low speed relay turns off when the high comes on. If they are just both on in a high temp condition you would wire it to the low speed circuit. I just kept the oe aux fan on my e36 so it had low/high. But the e36 aux fan is way better than the e30 one.Sent from my potato phone

Perfect - Thank You!!!!

Took this afternoon off work to go home and hopefully get the car up and running. Looking good for having it running tonight as long as I don't hit any major hiccups. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Well.... Took a one hour break for dinner and some play time with the kids - other then I've been wrenching since noon.

She's back on the ground, oil changed, coolant system burped and working, elec fan works, front lip is on.... Only thing left to do is get the hood on and drive it - neither of which I can do because I don't have a helper at 11pm and it's raining outside.

So after work tomorrow will be its test drive... All I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best.

541367A5-D96B-4C00-BFD8-59EED225C7D3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Backed the E30 outta the driveway in Saturday, and noticed a nice drip line from under the car on the pavement. As I sat contemplating what it could be for a second - I slowly watched it evaporate.....

"Oh crap..."

Straight back into the garage.

Found the culprit - and got it replaced tonight:

5D43C72C-6702-4A0E-ADA5-6EB3EBEE6675.jpg

Replaced the filter and both lines running to/from it. PO at some point apparently thought a kinked straight line would be fine.

Is that to slip over the velocity stack?

Yup! Unfortunately, the velocity stack I got does not match the dimensions given on the website I bought it from (it's a 6.5" OD, should have been a 7" OD) so hoping they just sent me the wrong one.... But doubt it (They don't offer a 6.5").

• 2 weeks later...

Well Collin I decided to read your build thread today and it made realize all the fun moments that have been had so far. With many more interesting fun times down the road.

Heck yeah - putting air on your car at some point in the future will be awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Any words of wisdom for removing the forward-most lower intake manifold nut? It's directly behind the heater core hose, and I'll be damned if I can find a way to get to the thing. My assumption is I need to drain the coolant system and heater core - but it's a huge PITA to do so looking for any other ideas. I've used every combination of box wrenches and 1/4-3/8 drive swivel/extension/sockets and it just seems impossible to get to. Absolutely infuriating.