WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ClassE 1989 325IS Build Thread

ClassE

Your subframe is lowered and your diff is lowered quite a bit. That is bad news bears for your U joints and driveline angle. 
Even the lowered subframe is not great
It's not a CV joint so it will throw some serious vibes if it is outside of its allowable range. 
I still have the back half of a good shaft if you need it. 

Your subframe is lowered and your diff is lowered quite a bit. That is bad news bears for your U joints and driveline angle.

Even the lowered subframe is not great

It's not a CV joint so it will throw some serious vibes if it is outside of its allowable range.

I still have the back half of a good shaft if you need it.

I think the current plan is to swap the CSB and Giubo onto the original driveshaft - and bring it in to be balanced. If it balances out good it'll go back in... If not - I'll have to address then.

Shift linkage is rebuilt and back in.... And it was a monumental PITA. Thankfully it was worth the headache because the shifter feels fantastic.

Electric fan is mounted and radiator mounting is done. Gotta figure out fan wiring and figure out what I'm gonna do for an upper rad hose.

Hopefully tonight I can yank those rear diff spacers and remove the no longer needed accessory crank pulley. I'm assuming I should get shorter bolts to replace the existing ones - or add washers?!? Will have to figure out tonight.

I retract my previous statements - I did not install those diff spacers when I put the subframe bushing in (josh and I both thought we saw them up there - but went to pull them out last night and realized they weren't in there after all!)

Driveshaft is back in now, and got front studs in.... Just gotta get exhaust up, figure out elec fan wiring, torque axle nuts all around, and get an upper rad hose sourced/spliced.

Lots of detail work - but if things go smooth hopefully I'll be rolling tomorrow night?!?

My "Holy crap..." Moment of the evening though was when I was getting out from under the car and noticed the rear subframe bolts didn't have as much thread showing as I remembered. Threw a socket on them to check tightness.... And got another 4-5 turns out of them both!!!

They are now loctited.

It's truly pathetic how bad I am with wiring. Need to get an electric fan wired into car, and just can't wrap around how I am supposed to do this. Spent more then an hour looking at written directions - then the wiring in the car - and got nothing accomplished. So frustrating.

Are you keeping the oe aux fan? If not it's super easy. Replace the fan switch on the passenger side of the radiator with an 80/88c one (stock is 91/99c) from a 318, its plug and play. The hook the large wires that go to the oe fan to your new one.

Sent from my potato phone

Are you keeping the oe aux fan? If not it's super easy. Replace the fan switch on the passenger side of the radiator with an 80/88c one (stock is 91/99c) from a 318, its plug and play. The hook the large wires that go to the oe fan to your new one.Sent from my potato phone

I removed all the original A/C stuff including that electric fan in front. This is the write up I was following:

This is for 88 cabrio (late model wiring) you may be slightly different

Stock AC Fan wiring:

Brown = Ground

Black (at the fan) or Black/Green (after fan connector) = low speed positive feed

Connect your new electric fan Ground to the brown wire, if you cut off the connector connect the positive from your new electric fan to the Black/Green, if you still have the wiring after the connector use the Black.

Thermo switch:

Green/Black = power feed (must be connected)

Black = Low speed relay feed (the one you want to connect to the new thermo switch)

Black/Brown = High speed relay feed (do not connect)

Since your stock themoswitch in the side of the radiator has 3 pins we need to figure out what one will trigger the low speed fan relay to supply power to the new electric fan. You need to put on some spade connectors and connect the Green/Balck to either of the two posts on the back of the new thermoswitch. Then connect the Black line with a spade to the other. Tape off the Black/Brown it is not needed anymore.

The wiring is done in this fashion to allow the stock relays to control the new fan, also if you push the AC switch inside the cabin, you can force on the electric fan anytime you want

Here's what I gathered from this:

-Cut off the original wiring that was connected to the elec aux fan (3-wire harness with a black, brown, and red wire that was "part of" the fan).

-Connect the brown wire to my new electric fan ground.

-Connect the black wire to my new electric fan power.

-Cut the red wire off?!?

After that I'm a lost. The original thermo switch has a 3-wire harness leading to it as described above, am I cutting wires going to that switch? If so - what am I connecting them to?!? It sounds like leave the black/green wire alone... So cut the other two wires and do what with them?

If someone could dumb down the next steps to a kindergarten level id be eternally grateful.

I didn't order a different thermo switch. My original radiator has one in it (obviously) and the radiator I got from Earl had his orginal one in it. I was planning to leave the orginal thermo switch that was in the radiator in it (since Earls car is a 318 I should be fine?)

wiring is my least favorite thing to work on in a car. Eventually I'll need to bite the bullet and wire up a JB4 and meth kit so I can spray, but definitely not looking forward to it. 

The above instructions make perfect sense to me, however, it doesn't sound like you have exactly the same parts/setup. Without a way to visual what's what, I can't be of much use. If I could see what wires run where and how they are connected to the sensors it would make more sense :(