WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine e30 progress/build thread

m42b32

6 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

can you enlighten me on m3 calipers? are you going 5-lug?

Yup! I am in the middle of an e30 M3 5-lug conversion so I'll be running the stock M3 brakes all around as it is required by the swap. I'm also changing to an e32 750il brake master cylinder (slightly larger bore than the OEM M3, but with the correct threads for non-m e30 brake line fittings) to compensate for the bigger calipers.

Picked up a new core support from Umansky to replace the bent replacement (also I cut that to pieces getting the new frame rail section out haha), these things are pricey but knowing it's straight is worth the premium. I'm hoping to finish fitting all the patch parts and start welding things back together this weekend! My overall goal is to have the body repair done by the end of April. 

33991036856_81c0f9ce11_b.jpg

Got some good work done with the great weather this weekend!

I was able to massage the inner bumper shock support back into shape. It's not pretty but you can't see it once everything is back together. 

34043669326_6cc2075054_c.jpg

Finished fitting the new bumper mount and got everything mocked up. Everything seems to be lining up really well. Next step is to lightly tack it all together and check the panel fitment. Hoping to have that done this week so I can weld everything up for good! 

33272668993_839d676079_b.jpg

Got the differential mount reinforcement plates welded in:

33927216292_b1aedd406b_b.jpg

The three exhaust heat shields were looking pretty gross so I cleaned them up with a wire wheel and sprayed them with some high-temp silver paint:

33953962581_caf68d6b12_b.jpg

Opened up the medium case 4.10 LSD that I'll be using. Its got a bit of sludge inside from sitting around for a while, but the internals seem to be in great shape. Hopefully all it needs is some new fluid and it's good to go. 

33927221882_32886e5099_b.jpg

Here is an example of hairline cracks forming, from a build thread on r3vlimited (JGood's m60 swapped e30). I recall seeing it once or twice more in other random build threads too, but it's not very common.

diff1.JPG

I will be running subframe riser bushings that require spacers to lower the diff back to it's original location. I wanted to add the reinforcements to compensate for the increased stress the mounts will see (less contact area, increased distance between the diff and subframe). Its definitely overkill for a stock m42, but with more power planned in the future I figured it was good to do while I was in there for added peace of mind. 

14 minutes ago, Snap said:

That example was overtorqued, but that is understandable since there isnt any way to get an accurate torque on those with te subframe installed anyhow

Thanks for the info

Hadn't thought of that but it's definitely a possibility, I read a little more of that thread and he did mention that he had the diff bolts come loose at some point so that could have also contributed. Either way, got some welding practice and it doesn't hurt anything haha

Made some great progress the last two days after work. 

In the middle of installing the UUC rear sway bar and reinforcements, had to do a lot of adjustment to get the brackets to sit just right but I finally got them where I wanted. Drilling holes in the trunk floor is a bummer, but it seems like the only/best way to prevent issues. 

I also started started welding the front end together. The metal is very thin so it's going to take about a million tack welds to get it done, but it's moving along quickly which is awesome. On the bumper mount, I missed a cut by about 1/8", so I will have to make a filler piece to close the gap, but that's no big deal. 

33754522160_1923a295d0_c.jpg34139531375_541c8192d1_c.jpg

With the parts securely tacked in place, I fit the core support and mocked up the front end to check panel gaps/fitment before I weld everything together for good. Looks like I'll be able to get decent gaps all around which is great news. Everything is just loosely set in place in these pictures so things are a little off, but there is a good amount of adjustment in everything. 

33754506880_f8260d6398_b.jpg

34009052181_15af5482f7_b.jpg

Definitely a huge motivator seeing it starting to come together!

Thanks guys! It was kind of a bummer taking it back apart haha, but I'm hoping I'll be assembling it for good in the very near future.

31 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

What could possibly go wrong between now and the E30 picnic

Well, there are somewhere in the neighborhood of a million things to do before it's roadworthy, but I think I have a good handle on what still needs to be done which is half the battle. I'll be pushing hard all the way to the 20th!

17 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Sweet jesus, I didn't realize you cut the end of the frame horn off. Bold.

Fit up is looking good! 

It was a bit scary initially, but it seemed like the best route given the damage. Thankfully, hitting a deer is much different than hitting a wall or a car, the deformation is much more localized. 

1 hour ago, Earl said:

How is the paint match of the parts off of the "parts car"? I see that car was pinstripped. Is it paint or just vinyl?

The paint match looks pretty good. The new panels are very dull and not the straightest but I think I'll be able to polish them up and it will be good enough for now. I think the pinstripe on that fender is vinyl, but I'm just going to leave it for now haha. 

I worked on the car last night after work, got in a groove and was there till almost midnight. The front end repair is completely welded and the seams are all primed (finished it after taking this picture). I'll be applying the seam sealer and some sealer primer to the joints this weekend and then the 'final' front end assembly can begin! 

34047159491_2b8bd8586e_b.jpg

During the fit up I did a few days ago, I found that the rail on the driver's side that the top of the fender bolts to was twisted outwards about 1/2" at the end. I got creative with a come-along and some rope and was able to pull it back into place before welding everything up. I did the pulling with the core support removed, this way I could account for spring back so that the rail was resting in the correct place afterwards.

34178321315_22950f404c_b.jpg

I decided to skip making the core support removable and just replicated the way it is welding by the factory. The M42 has so much room in front of it that it didn't seem necessary to add all the extra work right now.