WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

A purists nightmare - E46 drift build

Tkuhn

Mounted the lip to the bumper after work today 🤘

20190405_174631.jpg

Also got my parts in to rebuild the passenger side axle so I got that done and ready to go in the car. Once I get the axle in all I have to do is throw the exhaust back on (although I'd like a new one in the near future) and shes ready to put on the ground 😁

Also I dont think I shared this, not super exciting but I did replace the shift selector joint as well the other day.

20190404_175818.jpg

52 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

Looking good. Always liked the Arqray lip.

After staring at the Musk one that I got and pics of the arqray one the musk one is more drastic. The curve inward is deeper and the bottom goes out further. Musk stuff is like that, they make a csl style trunk that is more aggressive as well. It has a taller sweep.

UPDATE

Installed the Hold Fast steering wheel my girlfriend got me for christmas.

20190406_161513.jpg

Wrapped and installed the rear roof extension.

20190406_163720.jpg

And I am soooo hypeddd to share this with you guys, first might I add! 

20190406_133110.jpg

20190406_133230.jpg

20190406_135753.jpg

20190406_150513.jpg

Quite a few more loose ends to tie up but soooo excited to see this thing on the ground!

UPDATE.

Some bad news today.

Last night we found out there was a problem with my clutch. After trying a few things including removing and installing the slave, rebleeding it and making sure the clutch fork hadn't fallen off or anything we found the problem. (Clutch pedal was hard as a rock immediately).

My new pressure plate was the same as the old one which is a LUK self adjusting one. And after reading these can be flawed from the factory, the plate is fully adjusted which is bad. (The springs are fully extended)

Sooo I was forced to pull the trans, again. 

20190407_121520.jpg

20190407_121555.jpg

Here you can see the difference. New one is on the right and the old one is on the left. Notice the difference in the self adjusting springs. 

20190407_121651.jpg

Luckily things went pretty smooth and I had everything out in just under 2 hours.

I will be contacting the company I ordered through but I have little faith that they will resolve anything due to their lack of replying to emails after my order. I may end up ordering a sprung disc with non adjusting pressure plate like I should have in the first place.

I didnt let this get me down completely so I continued on to other things. 

I wanted to have the rear decklid covered last year but never got around to it, I ended up interior painting the old faded and nasty grey decklid cover.

Then made covers for the speaker area and other hole in the top out of some plastic. 

20190407_144913.jpg

Turned out pretty well.

20190407_145926.jpg

That's it for now until I figure out what my plan is with the transmission/clutch situation.

13 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

MAN this looks sooooo good. Bummer about the pressure plate. Seems like it wont be that big of a set back though, just annoying.

100% annoying. Lol also seems that you can reset the pressure plates. Sooo I suppose I should try that.

Aight boyzzz. I devised a way to reset the pressure plate back to the install position thanks to a YouTube search. Some say to use a 3 jaw puller but the way I did it worked like a charm!

First step was to make a hole on my work bench and then support the pressure plate mounting spots. I used some m8 nuts. Next was to devise something the size of the throw out bearing with a hole in it to allow a large bolt to be put through the bench and the pusher (which I used one of the old shipping locks from the pressure plates with the tabs cut off). 

Here's a pic of the hackery I set up.

20190408_175400.jpg

Then I set the pressure plate on the nuts, sent the bolt through the bench and set it up to pull the fingers on the pressure plate down. This is a pic of the fingers pulled down.

20190408_175015.jpg

Once it's to a certain point you can move the self adjuster with a screwdriver. I moved it all the way back into the install position.

20190408_175027.jpg

Then while holding the adjuster in the service position I backed off the pinch bolt set up and BAM! Shes back in the install position.

20190408_175129.jpg

So I did this to both pressure plates and ultimately I opted to put the old pressure plate back into the car with the new carbon kevlar disc.

Here it is all installed back in the car, as you can see the springs are pulled all the way back which is how they should be.

20190408_184507.jpg

Soooo I could have put the trans back in but I decided to not be a lazy sack of shit and I ordered the detent pin rebuild kit for my trans. (I totally forgot that they should be replaced when we had it out the first time.) Hopefully that shows up by the weekend so this large step backward can be done by Sunday night lol.

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

why do you want to have a stripped interior but then start covering random things back up?

It's not really stripped. Cant run back seats because of the subframe bracing but I wouldnt want to run rear seats anyways because they are heavy. I have no carpet but that's because the carpet was junk when I got the chassis(thus the floor plates), wouldnt mind putting carpet back in just the front. I wanted to cover the rear decklid last season just never got around to it and I reinstalled door cards because it looks nicer lol. 

It's a difficult balance between keeping it comfortable since it is a street car but also trying to save weight where possible since I am stock engine mostly.

I'd like to remove the sunroof and install a delete panel to get all that weight off the highest point of the car, just cant get myself to spend 250+ yet hahah

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

This thing looks so bad ass.  I fucking love it!

Thank you! I cant wait to get past this clutch ordeal and get it back on the ground. Detent fix kit shows up today hopefully. I ordered a blind hole plug puller kit which showed up yesterday. So replace the detent stuff then the trans and everything can go back on. Then I need to finish wrapping the rest bumper and the wrap is complete until I can order a rear lip which I really want and I think will complete the look for now Haha. 

Also not sure if I should do clear reflectors on the bumper or red still. Red would hopefully get me out of some tickets for the clear tails lol but I think clear would look so much better haha.

5 minutes ago, Tkuhn said:

Thank you! I cant wait to get past this clutch ordeal and get it back on the ground. Detent fix kit shows up today hopefully. I ordered a blind hole plug puller kit which showed up yesterday. So replace the detent stuff then the trans and everything can go back on. Then I need to finish wrapping the rest bumper and the wrap is complete until I can order a rear lip which I really want and I think will complete the look for now Haha. 

Also not sure if I should do clear reflectors on the bumper or red still. Red would hopefully get me out of some tickets for the clear tails lol but I think clear would look so much better haha.

Let's be honest here, you're getting pulled over at every opportunity they have.  Go clear.

13 hours ago, Tkuhn said:

I dont want just a panel that rivets in though. I want it to fit flush with where the sunroof was.

And I agree. Buy some fiberglass or carbon and just lay a mold over the old sunroof. 

8 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Let's be honest here, you're getting pulled over at every opportunity they have.  Go clear.

This. Clear 100%