WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

Good news, everything appears to be kosher. 
Fired it up last night and it ran fine, no missing like it did last time, and nothing weird going on. 
Couldn't run it long because I had a huge air bubble in the radiator again lol. Got that taken care of though. 
More on this story tonight when I can drive for a bit!

Well once again it was bad news. After letting it cool down overnight I opened the radiator cap slowly and was greeted by a huge gush of coolant and air and gurgling and other great things. 
Just ordered the most expensive gasket set I have ever bought. Will start taking the head off tonight, I just can't decide if I am pulling the motor for the occasion or not. 

In good news I survived another trip to Copper Harbor! Some awesome biking up there! 

Umm. Things
Coolant drain plug on the block is convenient with a turbo manifold. 
I have gotten way too fast when it comes to taking apart my motor. 
I made a magnet rail to hold lifters into the cam trays when removing them. Extremely convenient.
I have to heat cycle the new headgasket and then retorque :/ that means putting the motor all back together, and then promptly taking it back apart. I can't tighten the head bolts without taking the cams out. 
I want to drive my car? 

Took it to the shop that did mikes motor due to the fact that they were the only automotive place locally that had a belt sander that could do anything to my manifold. I now realize I should have just taken it to a machine shop (non auto) and waited the extra time to have it done. I was hoping to have it shipped off to brian yesterday, but what I ended up with wasn't going anywhere. 
I brought the manifold in because I could see it was slightly bowed on the mounting flange that goes on the head. It wasn't off by a ton, but if I am getting it ceramic coated I want it straight. I told the guy that I wanted both mating surfaces flat if they were at all warped. I called them later in the day and he said he had been working on it all day and it was finally done. I headed over there and he handed me the manifold saying it was still hot. This is what I saw.
IMG_20150715_155049280_HDR_zpslg3rf4zb.j
IMG_20150715_155055802_zps4qdaqtru.jpg
IMG_20150715_155342217_zpsakhvdfbb.jpg
IMG_20150715_155001989_HDR_zpsjevhnbch.j
IMG_20150715_155012357_zpsazhr8b3b.jpg
Not only is the turbo mounting flange practically gone, the side that mates to the head now is .05" low instead of the inside being a tiny bit high when I brought it in. The guy said "thats how it went in the machine" , "if it is chinese the metal isn't great" "I've never seen material come off like that" "it was getting really hot" and then blamed the center being low on how hot it got when he was grinding it. 
My question, what kind of idiot looks at that manifold and says, "looks good!" 
They will be buying me a new manifold 
Ninja Edit: the turbo mounting flange used to be damn near 1/2" thick. 

My problems with a new flange :
The flange is the collector, so all 7 pipes are welded right to it. 
Welding on welds
Trusting that the flange would be in the same spot 
The side that mates to the head is still super messed up, and by the time it's straight the turbo will be further into the valve cover and I can't clock the turbo further than I have already. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good news, the owner of the company is pegging it on shipping, and said I had to file a claim with UPS.
I am going to take another look at it and see if I feel comfortable with pulling the material back where it needs to be, and if not will be ordering a new one and hoping that UPS covers the insurance claim that I filed. 
He doesn't have any in stock either, so I get to wait for that if I don't like the way this one turns out.

We are going on 4 weeks of no progress due to outside companies.