WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

http://vid756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/gunmetalgrey/Mobile%20Uploads/VID_20150524_171956_645_zps4mv4dej8.mp4
Oh boy do I miss this noise.
Got it started, but it was running like crap. After much headache and many days spent trying to figure out what was going on. Today we noticed something coming out of the exhaust, that seemed to be a bit "clothy" it all came rushing back
I had test fit the manifold on the motor and figured I would take it off later, well a few weeks went by and I realized that I had no reason to take it off, so I bolted it down. I completely forgot about the fact that I had paper towel stuffed in all of the intake ports to keep things from getting in them. She was chewing up the paper towel and spitting it out. Here is what it looked like when we opened it up.
IMG_20150524_161757_645_zpsxu4tcogd.jpg
No wonder it ran like crap. Feel a bit like an idiot, but oh well! 

Edit: you can see a piece fly out of the exhaust in the video lol

http://vid756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/gunmetalgrey/Mobile%20Uploads/VID_20150524_171956_645_zps4mv4dej8.mp4

Oh boy do I miss this noise.

Got it started, but it was running like crap. After much headache and many days spent trying to figure out what was going on. Today we noticed something coming out of the exhaust, that seemed to be a bit "clothy" it all came rushing back

I had test fit the manifold on the motor and figured I would take it off later, well a few weeks went by and I realized that I had no reason to take it off, so I bolted it down. I completely forgot about the fact that I had paper towel stuffed in all of the intake ports to keep things from getting in them. She was chewing up the paper towel and spitting it out. Here is what it looked like when we opened it up.

IMG_20150524_161757_645_zpsxu4tcogd.jpg

No wonder it ran like crap. Feel a bit like an idiot, but oh well! 

Edit: you can see a piece fly out of the exhaust in the video lol

Don't feel too bad. You're not the only one this happened to, lol.

Battling with overheating right now, I bled it two different ways today with no luck. I took the radiator out, and thermostat housing along with the water pump. Everything was fine and didnt have blockage. When running the car with the radiator cap on the thermostat won't open (upper hose hot, radiator cold) and the car will overheat. I had the cap off when bleeding one way, and the thermostat opened but when I stuck the cap on later to drive it didn't open again. I grabbed a new thermostat, but am going to run it without a thermostat first to make sure I don't have some other issue going on. 
I decided to put the OEM headlight covers on, and it seems like BMW knew that I wanted boost.... the hole lined up perfectly.
IMG_20150531_112519_653_zpslyumwtlv.jpg

The other side required some trimming, but I like how they turned out! 
IMG_20150531_112542_210_zpseg9ap0wk.jpg

Merica! Red white and blue! 
IMG_20150525_183233_967_zpslkqjpngz.jpg

Thanks! I don't know when scooters is lol, but maybe? I need some tuning love.
I need to pull the thermostat and see if it overheats, I lost daylight and didn't feel like driving it at night. I have used this setup before without issue, but man this time is being a pain. 
The thermostat tested fine on the bench, but who knows, it may act up and be the culprit anyway. 

It's not the rad size that's the issue. I was fine before this year, it's either the thermostat or an air pocket. 
It's the e30 M42 Rad, so probably the same as the e36. 
I don't remember what upper it is anymore, I went through a ton of hoses trying to find one that fit well, and I had an m20 upper hose at the shop that may actually fit better. I shall try that tonight! 

I went through a bunch before finding one I liked.

Overheat fixed, it burped last night and I got more air out upon startup. Drove around for 20 minutes after getting to temp with no overheat issues. Oil temps stay in check now as well, hovers around 200 degrees.

I have a lot of little oil leaks to track down next!

I also drove it under a bridge at WOT, man oh man.

I am going to try an m20 upper rad hose soon, to see if the bend into the radiator works better for my setup. 
I will be honest in saying that anyone that has been near it has either been more motivated to finish their current car, or edge towards an m50...
It is only on 7psi on a crappy tune, which snap and I (more him than I....) will be improving. It still scoots real good though!

Sometimes I feel like I went full VANOS at some points during my engine build. I had an oil leak from the passenger side of the motor. Turns out that I forgot about some of the gasket that was left on the VANOS delete cover...... Why?
Cleaned the old stuff off, added a dab of sealer to the new gasket and stuck it back on. I would have tested it, but I am trying out this new thing called "following directions". Seems a bit odd, but they say 24 hours to dry/set. What do I have to lose! 
All oil leaks have been tracked down thus far, including my alternator leaking quite a bit of oil!