WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

• 2 weeks later...
Finally motivated myself to get something done yesterday. 

I wasn't liking how the trans was looking with how clean I could get it so I decided to paint it with high temp flat aluminum paint. 

I got everything as clean as I could and masked everything off. 

CAM01416_zpsgyfyecdw.jpg

CAM01418_zpss2zjdizz.jpg

I then sprayed two coats of paint after waiting about 15-20 minutes in between the coats. Turned out pretty decent=)

CAM01420_zpshcmkzx41.jpg

CAM01421_zpslfxrjz27.jpg

CAM01422_zpskl6t1eil.jpg

CAM01423_zpsljvjorhf.jpg

I will paint the detent spring plate when I remove it to go the springs and I will clean up the output flange as well. Now I just need to swap out the seals and springs and it should be good as new. 

More trans progress.

Removed the input shaft seal

CAM01428_zps1giyhppl.jpg

I was able to pop a hole in it with a pick, thread a wood screw into it, and use a slide hammer to pull it right out. 

I wrapped the splines of the input shaft in electrical tape to prevent damaging the seal when I reinstalled it. I tapped it in with a long brass drift and it seated nice and straight

CAM01426_zpsnmpmacrf.jpg

I also installed the pivot pin as you can see. I cleaned up and reinstalled the throwout bearing guide tube after the new seal was in.  

CAM01427_zpszacakcop.jpg

I really wish I could get it cleaner in the bellhousing but I would be basically sanding off all of the corrosion haha

After that I removed the selector shaft seal

CAM01430_zps8qzujow1.jpg

That little guy is tricky. Mine happened to be pressed in farther than they should be. You  have to be really careful not to scratch the shaft or outer bore in the case. I was able to get a pick in between the shaft and seal and then lever it out slowly. 

After that I installed my selector rod joint

CAM01431_zpsjca65spk.jpg

I was able to sand it to fit in my DSSR nice and tight as well. The spot you see at the end of the groove is on both sides. Must be something during the plating process since these have a very light bronzish colored plating. 

That is currently where I am at. The last things to do are the output shaft seal and the detent springs. My detent springs are in the mail and I need to source the proper 30mm socket to remove the output shaft flange. It needs to be deep but have a thin wall. I have heard you just need to grind down a normal 30mm socket. The seal should be simple if I remove it just like the input shaft seal.

CAM01432_zpsnkup6afn.jpg 

I ground a socket to fit the output flange, make sure you torque it properly. I didn't do it properly and the back of my transmission shat out while my wife was driving with her mom on the morning of her sisters wedding. It was pretty cool.

Sent from my potato phone

db76b8e0b23c8976a011c624cf784f97.jpg

?

Started on the output shaft seal last night. 

I had to grind down a socket to fit but got the nut off with an impact fairly easy after that. The flange pulled right off without needing a puller. 

CAM01438_zps8dhcom2v.jpg

CAM01439_zpsgrnx7xbd.jpg

I then used a slide hammer with a hook attachment at the end to pull the seal out. 

CAM01440_zpsib2tci8j.jpg

CAM01441_zpsa03ceord.jpg

I then lubricated the new seal and started it in the bore with my hands. I used a brass drift and drove it in about 3mm from flush (the thickness of two pennies)

CAM01442_zps0zh9pf7t.jpg

CAM01443_zpsxn3wqljw.jpg

At this point I put the flange back onto the output shaft and tightened the nut, seating the seal the rest of the way. The next step is to torque the output flange nut in two stages. First torque it to 140ft/lbs, then remove the nut, add loctite (Bentley specifies 242 but I will be using 271), and torque the nut to 89 ft/lbs. I could not find any way to hold the flange to 140ft/lbs at home. I grenaded a screwdriver in a failed attempt. I brought the trans into work today so that I can take a piece of angle iron and bolt it to the flange. This way I can clamp that in a vice and it should be easier. The only thing I am afraid of now is the ground down socket breaking. Hopefully it holds up. 

Replaced the detent springs yesterday evening. I freshened up the holding plate and installed new bolts too (yes they're stainless=P) 

What I started with

CAM01446_zpsowouf860.jpg

CAM01447_zpsm8fapsq8.jpg

The springs looked a hair compressed more than the new springs. By hand the rates didn't feel much different. There really was nothing to take a picture of for the new springs, so here it is all done=) 

CAM01450_zpsyzfqoqqi.jpg

CAM01449_zpsun53ovqz.jpg

Now onto find what to refresh next=) I have an e34 steering coupler on the way and more parts from Germany=P