WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

Ahh, the e30 4cyl cars had a different trans.  So the one that is 215mm-ish is what came out of your car?  Are you getting it from UUC?  Call them up and he should be able to tell you the right one.  Also what the correct selector rod joint on the trans would be.  If you need a new stock size one for some reason I have one that would be great to get out of my garage.

I have actually been talking with UUC and he said they haven't looked into what works on compacts. Haha I have a bend in mine that was to clear the vibration dampener but that had been removed before I got the car. I'll probably get the e30 m3 one and see how it works out. Why do you have a new joint just floating around? Lol

I measured mine and it is about 214.3125mm center to center. The e30 m3 uses a 215mm selector rod so it would be perfect. Not quite sure why mine would be that much different than yours

This is a totally BS number lol, two decimal places when measuring in MM is pretty nuts let alone four places! 

Pedal is looking good, ya know, as far as brake pedals go!

I find power steering to be overrated. Maybe it's just because I've never driven a car with power steering that had a decent feel to it. I'll take being able to feel what's happening at the front of the car in a corner over being able to park effortlessly any day. I've only driven one car with manual brakes and that was my first car, a 1963 Chevy Nova. You had to stand on them pretty hard (both feet!) if you really needed to stop. Going from that to power brakes was never really satisfactory though. The cars were easier to stop, but the pedal felt mushy and I never felt like a had as precise of control. For me the pedal feel on the e21 (with power brakes) is perfect. It's firm, but you don't have to stand on it to get the car stopped. I think if the brakes are large enough, and the ratio between the master and slave cylinders was right you could get away with manual brakes, but it's not something I'd do to a car I was expecting to put a lot of miles on.