WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

hahaha

Yesterday I took the time to remove the old stickers from my side moulding badges and install the new "Touring International" badges that I had made up. 

The hardest part was cleaning up the old sticker residue before applying the silicone and new badge. I found that applying WD40 and letting it sit for a few minutes allowed it to be rubbed off fairly easily with a cotton swab. 

CAM01038_zps0deyxwre.jpg

CAM01040_zps17zduri3.jpg

CAM01042_zpsm8nklxr9.jpg

I really like them. There is a reflection under "Touring" in the picture that looks like a scratch but I assure you it isn't=) One of them has a really small bur that I only noticed once they were installed. I am going to try being careful with a razor blade and scrape it off. Otherwise they turned out awesome.

Nothing too exciting got done this weekend. 

I pulled the car out of the shop so that I could clean my area and the unoccupied section next to me in preparation for my new shop mates. I also did some rearranging. This took up my whole morning. 

CAM01045_zpsbfgryqrc.jpg

After that John and I went to Jakes to get some parts. I got one of his m20 flywheels so that I can do the m20 single mass/ lightweight flywheel conversion. I will be sending it off for machine work shortly. I also grabbed the front clip harness from his e36 parts car so that I can extend my harness and get it routed properly. 

Other than that I took the doors off because I was trying to make some fasteners work for converting the final four fender mounting locations to m6. I found out that the hardware that I was trying to use wouldn't work. I tapped the old cage nuts for m6 instead and they work great. I should have thought about that before taking the doors off. 

I also got my metal work/paint quote. If everything falls together properly the car will be heading to paint in about two weeks=) 

My interior should also be here within the next week to two weeks=P 

CAM01053_zpswdypxxb5.jpg  

• 2 weeks later...

AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW YYYEEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

So back from paint before snow right?!?

Definitely. The fun part will be getting it together before then. With this whole shop situation that might not happen. 

exciting news!

what are you going to do when the first rock chip happens?

I havent put paint high on my priority list because I dont know how I would react in that scenario. 

I will probably kick in the header panel and bash my fenders with a bat

Roughly half of my interior arrived yesterday and it far exceeds my expectations=) I didn't get any good pictures of it all but I will be sure to snap a few today. 

CAM01082_zpsbzeodbh9.jpg

The seats I have gotten so far are immaculate besides the wear I knew about on the drivers thigh bolster. I should be able to get the alcantara replaced and use the foam from my current drivers seat to cut down on time and cost for the repair. 

The steering wheel just needs some leather conditioner rubbed in. There is only one ring mark that caused little marks in the leather. The others are just light lines that should disappear when the conditioner is massaged in=)

Other than that the car leaves tomorrow evening for the body shop. They should be starting on it next week or the following week and they estimate it will be done three weeks out from then=D 

It isn't magic obviously, but my seats are much softer than they were when I got the car, and the spots where the shiny black coating is worn were penetrated the best, scuffs and light spots do darken from it.  Since it will be a while before you use the wheel you could use a bunch of mink oil for boots too.  That wouldn't be good to use if you had to drive the car right away as it is greasy, but you could let it soak in for a week and then wipe off the excess.  That should also moisten and darken the scuffs.

Last night I decided to swap my rear bench fabric. There are so many hog rings that this took forever. 

CAM01084_zpssq4j6wnb.jpg

My old fabric was sticky underneath and just looked gross. The foam and frame was luckily nice and clean. 

CAM01086_zps9seurw4p.jpg

I think this took me 4 hours or so to do. I was half watching Netflix and eating supper for part of it too. 

CAM01090_zpsiqn8ktzr.jpg

Now I just need the rest of the seats to arrive and I will be able to disassemble my passenger seat and put the "new" seat together. I also need to source someone to repair my drivers thigh bolster for a reasonable price.