WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

I got my Ground Control rear shock mounts installed Saturday.

Here is the set of e46 m3 vert mounts that I replaced (less than a years worth of driving on them)

CAM00724_zpskjlqjosc.jpg

CAM00725_zpssf64xe1g.jpg

New versus old

CAM00727_zpsvgljydy9.jpg

CAM00728_zpsshrvdgx1.jpg

CAM00726_zpsibsrjiv2.jpg

fc368f76-f202-4ebf-905f-704d7de4397b_zps

Installed top plates

CAM00730_zpsycg5wq9r.jpg

CAM00731_zpsxhdoohr8.jpg

CAM00737_zpsmtczmhmd.jpg

Then installed the shocks with the mounts

CAM00736_zpsluhokaqa.jpg

CAM00732_zpsbr3fd1ee.jpg

CAM00733_zpskytrmz9r.jpg

CAM00738_zpspce7sldq.jpg

CAM00739_zpsmwwoczv6.jpg

Also installed the new lower shock mounting bolts

CAM00734_zpsxl0jnh6l.jpg

CAM00735_zpsa46zqu14.jpg

After that I removed the rear sway bar to sandblast, repaint (not happy with how it looks from before), and then to prepare for the new bushings, brackets, end links, and hardware.

I noticed that the under side of my diff surface rusted through the rust reformer/paint and that my trailing arms are starting to do the same around the edges. I have been thinking of dropping the sub frame again to replace all of the bolts with new and this has me wanting to repaint it all again. I am not sure why said rust reformer would not have neutralized the rust like it looked like it had=/

After that I got the thermostat and housing installed with the gaskets, as well as the water pump pulley

CAM00740_zpswpcjnspv.jpg

The pile of scrap from the end of the day

CAM00741_zpsetolllf9.jpg

After that I cruised up to Oshkosh for Collins BBQ=)

CAM00747_zpsy0ptry4v.jpg

CAM00743_zpsw19ijvpd.jpg

CAM00745_zpsqc2etsab.jpg

CAM00744_zpslpuldbnw.jpg

I now have an m44 crank pulley on the way and will have my new steering wheel and misc parts within the next month.

After that I removed the rear sway bar to sandblast, repaint (not happy with how it looks from before), and then to prepare for the new bushings, brackets, end links, and hardware.

I noticed that the under side of my diff surface rusted through the rust reformer/paint and that my trailing arms are starting to do the same around the edges. I have been thinking of dropping the sub frame again to replace all of the bolts with new and this has me wanting to repaint it all again. I am not sure why said rust reformer would not have neutralized the rust like it looked like it had=/

3349304+_eaaec8b8577210efc5fd70b9afeb86d

also

I spy an engagement ring

A while back I was working on getting some vinyl cut to make my custom "Touring International" badges. A guy on Instagram saw my idea and told me he could make me a set of badges from lexan. He told me that he made a "BMW Compact" set by hand painting it from the back side and painting black over the top. I asked how much he wanted to do them and said he would make my "Touring International" badges and send two "BMW Compact" badges to me for free. I was excited. He never sent me any teaser pics but he mailed them from Europe around a month and a half ago. I was excited for them but lost hope because we both thought they got lost in shipping. The mailman came yesterday and dropped them off and I couldn't wait to open them. 

CAM00754_zpsi6d5zr2g.jpg

They turned out amazing. I thought he simply hand painted them from the back but it is much more than that. He actually machined the letters out from the back and then painted them in. This makes them 3D just like the OEM badges. I will take pictures of the backs when I get home and also some of the "BMW Compact" badges. 

More front and back pictures of the badges

CAM00765_zps7fwnyjne.jpg
CAM00766_zpsqz7wszoy.jpg

Saturday I started by installing my m44 crank pulley
CAM00757_zpsa2bo6gv9.jpg

I was very happy to see that the trigger wheel was the same as the m42 pulley. I never even thought to make sure before switching over. 

After that I threw the intake manifold on temporarily to get it off of the bench and to see how it is all coming together.
CAM00761_zpsfvtnpryx.jpg

It is much bulkier than I would like but it is about as good looking as it is going to get without making a log style manifold. 

After that, John arrived and decided to attack the rear wheel bearings. These were a nightmare. Getting the hubs out was pretty quick and simple. The inner races were on them pretty tight and pounding them out wasn't working. We set them to the side so that we could work on getting the outer races out of the trailing arms. 

We were having a terrible time removing the snap ring for holding in the bearings. We ran to Napa to get a snap ring pliers in hope that they would work great. Well the pliers design for holding the tips wasn't exactly up to par and they kept turning when we were removing the snap rings. I ended up getting fancy with a straight pick and two screw drivers to work them out. 

After that, we figured the outer races would come out with brute force. That wasn't working. We then tried multiple ways of pulling them out of the arms with no luck. 
CAM00758_zpsaznacjpv.jpg

The piece of uni-strut bent before the race even budged. 

We went off to the hardware store and bought a dremel, figuring it would be our saving grace. It worked excellent for removing the inner races from the hubs. We moved onto the outer races and couldn't quite reach all the way through. 

The new neighbor to the shop then came home and upon introduction, recommended we use his air chisel. He walked on over with it and zipped them out in a matter of seconds........I should have introduced myself sooner. 

After all of that, John pressed in the new bearings. I brought the hubs to work so that they can be sandblasted and repainted. I will install them Saturday afternoon.

How the car currently sits
CAM00763_zpswpwjepxn.jpg

Yep rear wheel bearings suck, I got one out on another e36 by cutting the outer race with a die grinder which took hours.  On mine I took the whole control arm to my neighbors shop and he pressed them out no problem.  Way easier to remove the control arm than fight with that bearing on the car.

Lets see how this holds up on the sway bar

CAM00782_zpsmho36yng.jpg

The bar seems to be made out of either a very dimples piece of stock, or it just got that corroded over time. The surface texture plus the gloss black paint has a sort of hammered/wrinkled look. 

CAM00783_zpsqgemxpxf.jpg

Fine by me=)

You'll never be able to see them anyways man. It lays frame ffs haha

Only in front though=P lol I agree no one will see any of this and that it doesn't need to look perfect, but it will bother me if I paint something half ass or leave it rusty haha

Also, this is the smallest diameter sway bar I have ever seen lol

I got out to the shop after work today.

I started by installing the wheel bearing snap rings with a thin layer of anti-seize so they don't seize like my last set was

CAM00784_zpss3sal8h7.jpg

As you can see, some painting was in order.

I started by scuffing the rust and flaking spots with a scotchbrite pad. I then masked everything off.

CAM00785_zpsm37cgyrm.jpg

I then sprayed them. I am really happy with the outcome.

CAM00789_zpsy6usgu4v.jpg

CAM00790_zps3xhyptjq.jpg

More progress will happen tomorrow afternoon