WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

I know. It blows

Just placed the ECS order yesterday for my front hubs and related bits, as well as all brand new hardware for the front suspension/steering and the chain tensioner cap with washer.

Once all that comes, I will be able to put together my front hub assemblies and get my motor together hopefully.

Greaser Kyle will be at the shop Saturday to do more work on the bay as well=)

Did you get it from AKG?  For mine I had to pound in the piece that goes up inside with the holes, not sure if it's because my subframe was distorted when the mount ripped through, probably not bad to be so tight anyway.  Then the outside part with one big hole, weld the one side and pound it down to meet the engine mount ear, when finished the part has a compound curve and there is no way they would accurately manufacture it pre-bent.

I did get the AKG ones=) I'm not too worried. My subframe is actually in really good shape. That m42 torque must have been under control....haha

So akg is where it's at as far as reinforcements? I'm about to do mine. Not something I could just do myself eh? Well without spending too much time on it.

AKG has really good pricing compared to some of the others I have seen. I got mine because of their Cyber Monday sale=)

If you can weld, this is a super easy install. I can weld, but am too lazy and would rather have a welder at work do it for free.

Here is the install instructions for you sir: http://www.akgmotorsport.com/rfsp36install.html

AKG has the best price I have found, they seem to be permanently on sale, and the parts fit good.  I have some pics of the subframe ones and the rear sway reinforcements installed on my build thread if you want to see.  Very easy to weld in, I used my Hobart 110 flux core.

I just checked it out. I'm not sure if I will actually need any of them... I will be reinforcing the front myself, and I 90% sure I will be tying my cage into the rear subframe... Hmmm.  And I won't be using a rear sway bar either. Yup. Nevermind guys!

Here is how far the welder got yesterday. Should be done today or Monday=)

CAM00483_zpso8slmfbo.jpg
CAM00484_zps74yzwjqn.jpg

My CA Tuned front brake lines and clutch line came and they look great. I forgot to upload a picture to my photobucket though=/

I assembled my calipers last night. All of them except for one went together great. There is one that I cannot get the piston past the o-ring and it is frustrating the hell out of me. I will be trying at it more today.

Carrier bushings in
CAM00485_zpsqbkgk5vr.jpg

Inner seal in
CAM00487_zpsvbxir3q5.jpg

All three that are done
CAM00489_zpsa5qt8chn.jpg

Here is how far the other front goes in
CAM00490_zpsul0r3nzu.jpg

I tried doing it all sorts of ways and then finally managed to get it stuck. I will hopefully figure it out but I know for sure the o-ring is the issue.

Side note: one of the axles gave out on my daily as I pulled into work today so I am both unsure of how I am getting home, how I am getting to the shop tomorrow, and what I am going to do for a daily in general.

I pulled the o-ring out yesterday and made sure the piston fits in the bore and it is smooth as butter. Something with the o-ring is keeping it from nicely sliding in=/

The axle went from being no issue, to clunking very quiet intermittently, to clunking under load very audibly in under 5 minutes...lol I am thinking an engine or trans mount wore out and made an intermittent vibration that I have been having and after it doing it a few times, caused the axle to wear out

Not much was done this weekend. John and I spent Saturday trying to fix my daily. We assumed it was the passenger side axle, due to axle grease being spun around by the inner cv. After replacing it nothing has changed. The issue has to be something diff or trans related and since the car got hit by the semi, it isn't worth fixing. Hopefully we are either missing something easy, or something pops up for sale at a reasonable price instead of all of the over inflated crap currently.

Anyways, onto the car that matters. Subframe got finished Friday=)

CAM00491_zpsrlpapraj.jpg
CAM00492_zpsaqwptco9.jpg
CAM00493_zps9umus8ds.jpg
CAM00494_zpsyxaeabdc.jpg

Then primered
CAM00495_zpsfyyoioat.jpg

And then painted
CAM00496_zpsanxmtccf.jpg
CAM00500_zpsnfkfodzf.jpg

My ECS Tuning order shipped out Friday as well and should be here today or tomorrow. Once that comes I can assemble my front hubs, attach my caliper carriers, and get my calipers finished with their new bleeders.

I was looking through my phone pictures Saturday morning and happened across this one. Eventually the car will be finished...

IMG_20140302_092652_zpskl55orur.jpg