WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

I got out to the shop yesterday. It felt great to be back at it.

I started off by fitting the latest batch of stainless hardware. All of them fit great except for one of the alternator bracket bolts. The one that they gave me is way too short=/ I will be ordering it when I pick up my oil filter housing bolt today or tomorrow. I didn't get any pictures because my engine is in a dark corner.

I also test fit the modified oil filter housing bolt with the temporary head.
CAM00321_zpsgjlp1ox4.jpg

It will fit right in when the stainless bolt is there and sealed in.

After I got all of those in I decided to mount my trans bushings for now.
CAM00326_zps5b5udbyz.jpg

While I was doing all of this myself, my friend Greaser Kyle was in the bay. He started by patching the indent behind the drivers side tower.
CAM00331_zpsppdw1jvu.jpg

There are these indents on the inside of the strut towers.
CAM00330_zpsyerieaf7.jpg
CAM00329_zps2xpixq0j.jpg

Originally I had planned to use black plastic plugs in the holes to clean them up, but Kyle was in a patching mood.
CAM00327_zpsw7ei1ecb.jpg

He then filled in the seam along the bottom of the tower.
CAM00333_zpsqamkn2eo.jpg

Since that patch went so well, Kyle wants to patch a lot of indents that I was just going to leave alone. He is the artist here and it will lead to a much cleaner look. That is completely fine by me=)

I will be back at it this weekend. Hopefully I will have a good update

Usually welders want women.  Thats why I'm not so quick to hire them.  Might want to prep the GF.

hahahahaha He is a good friend. Hopefully he wouldn't try and pull that=P

Looking good - spring is gonna be here fast!

I know=( Being one handed really kills productivity.

Since I am going through the trouble of making almost everything new, I am going to tackles front hubs.

I have been looking around to see what's available and have seen a few interesting things.

The cheaper ones use a rougher casting that requires less machining. I am unsure of the bearing quality, but I am sure they aren't as well made as the more expensive ones.

I am stuck between these two on ECS Tuning:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2091579/

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES10373/

The top one is an example of the cheaper casting, but I am unsure of how well it does the job.

I am thinking I should play it safe and buy the more expensive SKF assembly. The thing that gets me is the $80 price difference for a pair. Are the SKF assemblies going to outlast and out perform the MTC assemblies enough to justify higher price tag.

I never cheap out on bearings, especially on something that might see -69 degrees of camber. 

You CAN however, find quality bearings for a decent price if you look hard enough. 

but,

YOLO and you may have good luck with the MTC stuff so this whole post is pointless. 

what exactly needs to be machined.

Nothing. I am just talking about how they were manufactured. You can tell by the back of the hub.

I never cheap out on bearings, especially on something that might see -69 degrees of camber. 

You CAN however, find quality bearings for a decent price if you look hard enough. 

but,

YOLO and you may have good luck with the MTC stuff so this whole post is pointless. 

My thoughts exactly. haha I may get the SKF just for the peace of mind=)

Just ordered my rotors from Adams Rotors. I cannot wait to see the quality and I hope they last a long time.

I need to pull together another parts list to combine with the front hub order. I will take care of that this weekend. I cannot wait to have both hands again=)

Didn't get much of anything done on the compact this weekend but I do have pictures.

My friend wasn't able to make it out to work on the bay so I decided to just quick stop by Sunday.

I got this guy installed:

CAM00342_zpsamq1qf4l.jpg

I also rounded up a few things I want to get powdercoated:

CAM00346_zpslcleacoi.jpg
CAM00347_zps9qpifxhu.jpg
CAM00351_zpsadlpdohd.jpg

The dust shields are coming off of the knuckles because they are shot and I won't have much use for them=)

I also took some pictures of being aired out on the 15's. It just looks funny with how sunk they are.

CAM00349_zpshgq7bofu.jpg
CAM00348_zpssiaklifp.jpg