WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

And you did it one-handed too!  

Nice work

hahahaha

How much more work do you have to do to get this badboy on the road?

My buddy Kyle has a good amount of fabrication to do in the bay and a few holes on the body need to be shaved yet. Other than that I need to reundercoat the front wheel wells, paint front knuckles, paint all calipers, install all of the front suspension, replace rear wheel bearings, reroute the front air lines, extend the headlight harness, route the connectors for the fusebox delete under the dash, run air lines for/and wire in air gauges, install air tank/wire management/complete trunk setup, run cable for battery relocation, fit front edges of rear bumper to the now pulled fenders, bend rear brake lines, install timing chain on the m42 (need to order a few more stainless socket head bolts) and finish assembling motor. Other than that the car needs finished bodywork and paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy 2014. Hand is healing and should be good to go early February =)

I placed an order for what I believe are the remaining stainless bolts to finish off the outside of the m42. They will arrive for pickup on Friday. I am hoping to get to the shop Sunday to swap my rear wheels out to keep them from flat spotting. I didn't really think about that until now. I am hoping to get some slow progress here shortly=)

I picked up my order of stainless bolts yesterday=)

IMG_20140106_173023_zpspwzugihs.jpg

While I was there I dropped off the bolt for the oil filter housing to see if they can make me one out of stainless with a socket head. We have another idea if they cannot make one.

I also dropped off one of my fender screws to see if they can find a stainless socket head screw that would work. I want to run some Downstar fender washers, but BMW decided that a metal screw was better than the usual m6 hardware......

I got the oil filter bolt modified today.

To me it looked terrible with it being the only non stainless socket head bolt. After thinking of a few ways to do it, this seemed the easiest and made the most sense.

CAM00311_zps1jahvpeo.jpg

CAM00312_zpsm5fenizh.jpg

CAM00317_zpsvp79fobg.jpg

CAM00314_zpsswrexng1.jpg

CAM00315_zpsxeghgcwp.jpg

The head of the bolt was faced off and a hole was drilled down the center. We then tapped the hole to 5/16-18. The socket head bolt threads in, acting as a new head.

The black oxidized bolt is just for mock-up. I have a 5/16-18x3/8" stainless bolt on order. Once it arrives I will use a strong thread sealant to essentially make the bolt one solid piece.