WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

Well I now own the secret, so here is the story.

So I have been looking at the car and wondering what would even look right for mirrors anymore. I have had the mirrors off so long that the flag mirrors just look to big, bulky, and stick to far away from the body.

I thought no mirrors, but it would look a tiny bit odd. So I remember a while back I was offered a set of AC Schnitzer Cup mirrors. I was willing to buy them but the seller started to not respond back and I never heard from him again.

I told my german friend Kitty that I may want to find a set of AC Schnitzer mirrors. She ended up finding exactly what I was looking for and at a steal of a price. We anxiously awaited until this morning and she bid in the last few minutes. Now I just need to wait for them to get to her and then they will be coming stateside=D

T2eC16NHJIIFHJVVFtBSMsr1YZQ60_1_zps2902c

They sit tight to the body and flow better than most mirrors I have seen. Some may wonder why I just didn't get ///M3 mirrors. I absolutely despise them and how they don't flow with the body in my mind=P haha

I ended up having a nice time yesterday installing all of my stainless hardware. The initial idea was to just replace all of the hardware you visually see. I now feel that is half assed and will be ordering all of the bolts I missed.

Before and after of the oil filter housing. Not sure why the wrinkle black looks shiny but it isnt in person.

CAM00116_zps0a14cc9d.jpg

CAM00117_zps75a4e712.jpg

I installed my TPS bolts

CAM00113_zps4efaa6ea.jpg

Threw the intake manifold together and put the valve cover in place to get an idea of how it will look.

CAM00114_zps1fa75b61.jpg

CAM00115_zps5070ea53.jpg

Those were also took before I did the oil filter housing bolts for some reason. I also took all of the timing cover bolts out of their holes and put the stainless bolts in place for now. I like leaving hardware in the holes it belongs when I can so I don't have to label them and guess later.

Good riddens to all this nasty hardware

IMG_20130920_154309_zpsbe2aa44d.jpg

Hopefully a tiny update from tomorrow will be posted later in the day.

IMG_20130920_164021_zps657d48c0.jpg

Spent most of the day yesterday at the 5er meet.

I didn't do a whole lot before Alex arrived besides a few little tasks.

I peeled the plastidip completely from one sideskirt, and got all the remaining bits off of my front bumper.

I threw my stock lip on just to get an idea of how my ACS style lip will look once I get it back.
CAM00120_zpsdc2c0ad1.jpg

It made me notice how uneven the floor really is in the shop. Front what I could tell, the ACS style lip will basically be sitting on the ground. That is what I would like to see anyways=)

I then took a picture of all the stainless hardware for the timing covers. I can't wait to get the cam tool so I can get the timing chain on and be able to throw the covers back on
IMG_20130922_112412_zpsece2b610.jpg
CAM00121_zps17b8ad5b.jpg

That is the boring update for now. I am thinking I should start grinding the welds out of the bay and working on my trunk setup this week.

Well I got nothing done on my compact Saturday. I did however work on a Alexs compact with him and Andy=D
CAM00124_zps76291edd.jpg

We spent the day doing trans mounts and replacing the csb. When we got it all apart the csb was absolutely destroyed. The rubber around the bearing completely tore and the bracket was also snapped. We installed the new one and buttoned everything back together.

We did this because when the car would be getting into torque, the driveshaft would slap right by our thighs. This was obviously the driveshaft moving more than it should at the csb.

Well when we went on the maiden voyage, the car still maintained the issue=( There are only two things I think it could be. Either the output shaft on the trans is garbage or one/some of the bolts attaching the diff to the subframe have become loose. Both of these are easy things to diagnose. I felt so bad having spent all day feeling that we had fixed the problem.

Anyways my build will resume Wednesday at the latest=D

CAM00126_zps0bae6668.jpg