WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

cutting your sidewalls with fender, smart choice. Should make for a real nice blow out on the highway. Come on earl. If you want that sort of fitment, stretch the tires more, don't do the whole," Check my fender cutting into my tire side walls" that shit is stupid unsafe.

Brian.....do you not know how air works? lol I'm not going to drive with my fender inserted in there. I am going to air up a bit. My driving height will be the fender sitting about a half inch above the lip. The whole point of going on air was to avoid chipping up my fenders=P

That's the whole point of air. drive slammed 24/7 until you need to pull into a driveway/over a speed bump.. lol

It is very true that a lot of people do that.....but it is retarded.   Ironically my setup will be exactly for that, however I'm not lowering to the extreme Earl is.

Well the compact got outside for the first time since November=)

I got the airline ran for the front struts and then rolled it outside to sweep out my spot in the shop. Enjoy the picture dump=D

IMG_20130703_131714_zps48386b64.jpg
IMAG1286_zps257b1997.jpg
IMG_20130703_132301_zps3831e59b.jpg
IMG_20130703_142004_zps67e2ce18.jpg
IMAG1284_zpsbe134970.jpg
IMAG1283_zps51d03796.jpg

The drivers rear somehow snaked the tire in more than usual and seemed like it was going to unbead. lol I need to pull the fenders within the next week or two.

IMAG1282_zpsc6b88122.jpg

I then pulled the car in and cambered the fronts to get the fitment down. Then I realized that the struts need to be spun down because it doesn't air down as far as I want. Here is where the front is at now.

IMAG1289_zps72467923.jpg

I also just love the insane toe in the rear......not

IMG_20130703_161456_zpsd909d025.jpg

Definitely getting my trailing arms modified this winter to correct that.

I also inspected the chain guides on my motor and they were all good except for the right hand side one. The plastic was separating from the metal. Now to order that, paint the timing covers, and get it all back together=)

Updates after Saturday=P

I decided to focus on the engine this Saturday.

I started off by cleaning up the timing covers.

IMAG1290_zps3a29569c.jpg
IMAG1291_zps3060b669.jpg

I had bought a can of VHT Wrinkle Black to do my valve cover and intake manifold, so I decided it would work well here too.

IMAG1294_zpsdc43b1a0.jpg

I cannot believe how well it turns out being from a spray can. After two hours had passed, I removed the old front main seal and installed the new one.

IMAG1299_zps65e9cf9e.jpg

Old:
IMAG1297_zps12a99836.jpg

New:
IMAG1298_zps386bae97.jpg

IMG_20130706_195920_zps04f07cfd.jpg

During the time that took to wrinkle, I completed some other quick tasks.

I cleaned up my head and installed new intake/exhaust manifold studs.

IMAG1293_zpsd75117e2.jpg
IMAG1296_zpsc33b1361.jpg
IMAG1302_zpsaa265813.jpg

I also cleaned and painted the rear portion of my timing case. I was going to just clean it up and leave it raw, but it was stained and just didn't look good enough to me.

Before:
IMAG1295_zps6d9a9581.jpg

After:
IMAG1300_zpsd2a91441.jpg

I also installed the coolant passage. (You can see where I painted the front on this side as well.)
IMAG1301_zps68c8c3fe.jpg

I then spent a ton of time cleaning up the oil pan and thermostat housing.

I painted the thermostat housing with the VHT Wrinkle Black as well. I left the shop before it cured so I do not have any pictures of it.

I then tackled the oil pan. The front was covered in oil and road grime. After I got it clean I was also going to leave it raw, but I was not satisfied with how it looked. I sprayed it with engine primer and then put on two coats of gloss black caliper paint. I didn't want to waste my VHT Wrinkle Black and the caliper paint can withstand up to 600 degrees so I am not worried.

IMAG1305_zps590ffae0.jpg

I am working on ordering the timing chain guide that I need. I have part number 11311247483 on my engine. The plastic is separating from the metal. I noticed that part number 11311247470 is also listed. That seems to be an all plastic version which would be superior since it cannot separate. I posted a thread on R3V to see which one to order and I have been told that 11311247470 is the one to go with. I am hoping to find one at Concours BMW or somewhere local so I can get my engine back together within the next few weeks=)

I am hoping to work on the valve cover and intake manifold this Wednesday. The car will be going to have the bay welded after I sort a few things out. I am also going to be borrowing a fender roller to get my rear arches situated.

I am happy with how things are slowly coming together. Updates to come after Wednesday=)

Love the attention to detail, especially on parts most would consider not to matter.  I do the same things and people think I'm crazy.

How much are the guides?  Due to the age and one starting to fail, it may be prudent to replace them all.

Thank you sir. All the little things count for me=) You're not crazy at all.

The guide I need is about $50. I inspected the others and they look almost new. The PO replaced the timing chain and head so I believe he replaced those too. Those are all solid plastic pieces too. The one failing was a terrible design where a plastic strip is adhered to a metal mount. The plastic is peeling off the metal on mine.

Guest ethirtysix

You will see it Saturday. Looks much better in person.

Two more pictures that look almost exactly the same (and close to picture one in my last post)

IMG_20130703_131559_zps4ba00a47.jpg

daaaaaaammmmnnnnn