WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

The resin for the fiberglass took a while to cure with the recommended mix, so we only got one coat on. We are repairing and ACS style lip that I picked up for $65. It looks like carbon fiber at the surface, but seems to be mostly fiberglass. Either way I was planning on painting it black since I dislike exposed carbon fiber. Here is the lip:

IMAG1210_zps9c953b47.jpg

The damage:

IMAG1211_zps1aa43fed.jpg
IMAG1212_zpsa575783a.jpg
IMAG1213_zpse57c58c4.jpg

There was also a decent gash towards the right hand side that I forgot to take a picture of. Here is is with the glass laid on:

IMAG1214_zps56abb977.jpg

At this we couldn't wrap it around the edge because it kept wanting to bubble and separate due to the stiffness of the cloth and the wetness of the resin. My friend just put a piece on the top and bottom and merged them together. We will then just remove the excess.

IMAG1215_zps777fbbf6.jpg

This work is mostly structural so that it doesn't crack. We will use flexible filler to repair smaller scrapes, gouges, and the imperfections in the fiber glass.

The only other work I got done was on the MK3. I finally put the drivers door card in, cleaned the dash/console/doorcards/ and I gave it the second wash of my ownership. It hasn't been washed since some time in November.

I plan on torquing the wheels tonight. This weekend I do not believe anything will get done on the compact. I have a local GTG to attend on Saturday. I'm running out of quick little things to do on the car. Most of the things left are large tasks.

I finished torquing the wheels last night=)

IMAG1225_zps34812158.jpg

I also took a rear for a ride to show my parents

IMAG1219_zps8c813a47.jpg
IMAG1222_zps1d74a35c.jpg

I decided that mexican blanket looks better than a stained beaver seat so I tucked it in nicely.

Speaking of the MK3, I had a can of plastidip laying around and black topped the bumpers, painted the grille, and did the mouldings (but didn't install them)

IMAG1220_zpsb342a1db.jpg
IMAG1221_zps4b530ad2.jpg

I hate the car, but I might as well show it some love so it stays happy.

I got the tires mounted yesterday. McAdams did a great job without any damage to the wheels. The stretch is perfect for how I need the wheels to fit.

Front (17x9.5 w/ 205/40 Hankook HRII)

IMAG1243_zps5f579c57.jpg
IMAG1244_zps8f06d07a.jpg

Rear (17x10 w/ 215/40 Hankook HRII)

IMG_20130612_142609_zps792e72c4.jpg
IMAG1241_zpsd7a1675f.jpg
IMAG1242_zps622177e0.jpg

My rear subframe isn't in, but I wanted to get an idea on how the wheels will sit in the rear. They will be a little more aggressive, so the wheels will come out more. This gives an idea of how it will look though.

IMG_20130612_154559_zps9342c31d.jpg
IMAG1246_zps664ec60c.jpg
IMAG1247_zps38bd3c06.jpg

I'm very happy with how it is coming together=) Hopefully I can get the subframe bolted up on Saturday. No need to run brake lines now since I'm running out of time. That can be done on the car later.

The tire stretch will be a bit much for most people here, but it is neccessary for me to achieve the fitment I'm going for=)

Good thing I'm not one of those people who cares what other people think about their car :)  This car is being built by me, for me=D I give no shits if anyone else likes how it looks.

I mean, who builds their car just to impress other people? That's just dumb

Not going off on you Robert. I just wanted to state I'm not doing any of this for scene point or to impress anyone. I'm just building it to make myself happy and screw what anyone else thinks. However, I do enjoy when people say good job and such=)

I compltely understand where you are coming from, and even the 'why' behind it.  I love seeing other peoples stuff, if it was all the same it would be boring.  Some of it I'll like, some of it I won't.

Regardless, all the work you are putting into your beast is impressive, and I love the updates.

Picked up these guys Friday night:

IMG_20130614_182447_zps5c6e1811.jpg

97' Mustang GT shocks. $60 from Autozone. Lifetime warranty=D

Reason for choosing them:

IMAG1251_zps3eafa9f5.jpg
IMAG1252_zps9f50e2ee.jpg

I was going to measure them, but forgot to before I installed them. The mustang shocks are shorter by about 1.5" when extended. The strut body is also shorter and has more stroke. This will give me more suspension travel and let me go more than low enough.

I also got this guy finally installed.

IMAG1253_zps8c7da3b1.jpg

Things are finally coming together.

Yesterday morning I ordered a 68mm stud kit from Motorsport Hardware. They shipped last night and I cannot wait for them to arrive so they can go straight on.

Stay tuned.

Haha thank you sir:)

I had a chance to stop by the shop for a bit today. I was going to mount the bags to the top, but I grabbed the wrong bolts from work. I'm also not sure how I will be measuring to get the holes in the right locations. I did get a chance to actually mount a wheel up and jack it into place to see how much work is needed. If I could adjust camber I would have no issues, but unfortunately camber cannot be adjusted. So a slight pull will solve my issue.

IMG_20130617_143010_zps3e7004b7.jpg

I managed to get nothing done yesterday. I was figuring out how to mount the top of the bag but couldn't find the right tools/bits to use. A package came however:

IMG_20130619_154713_zps6a3031ac.jpg

My airline also arrived today. I'll mount the bags Saturday as well as install the studs and hopefully a bunch more.

I am very pleased with the outcome of Saturday=)

I finally got the top of my bags mounted. The first side took two hours....the second side only took about 30-45 minutes. Here is what I did (before paint of course)

IMAG1258_zps69dbc245.jpg

There is one bolt up top and then a notch underneath for the fitting to sit in. The pockets were the biggest pain to get. The first one took so long because I was trying to use a countersink bit and other drill bits. Then I realized I had air tools that would make it a whole lot easier=)

Once that was finally out of the way, I bolted up my sway bar and bolted the bottom of the mustang shocks to the trailing arms. Everything went super smooth there.

I then installed my 68mm Motorsport Hardware studs. I am super happy with the quality of them. Installation was a breeze and I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to go studs versus lug bolts. The price tag for these is basically just giving them away=D

IMAG1258_zps69dbc245.jpg
IMAG1262_zpsd1e98639.jpg
IMAG1263_zps0f5d9aa8.jpg

I also painted the hats of my rear rotors during this time, but did not take a picture. I will be getting new rotors this winter, so this is just to make them look less shitty until then.

After all of this I cut air line for the bags, pushed on some valve stem fittings, and manually aired up the bags. I put the rear wheels on and put it back on all fours for the first time since February. I then aired it out.

th_VIDEO0006_zpsfa111bdc.jpg

I was being goofy. I actually have to do way less fender work than I had initially thought. That's fine by me=) I just need to get the fenders over the tire, but let the lip still poke. Right now it is literally sitting on the tire. Here are a few more of the wheels and being aired out on the Breytons.

IMG_20130622_174337_zpsde0c5953.jpg
IMG_20130622_174452_zps0b076247.jpg
IMAG1264_zpsf2370a88.jpg
IMAG1265_zps186788f0.jpg
IMAG1266_zps3565a44f.jpg
IMAG1267_zps338d34ce.jpg

I am finally seeing things come together and it is awesome=) The studs poke a tiny bit much for me, but they were the shortest I could get being black and bullet nosed. I think they will still keep the clean and subtle look without being too aggressive.

On a side note, my friend Kerry has been working on my rear bumper and I cannot thank him enough. I wanted the exhaust cutout shaved so I can have the exhaust hidden underneath. I am not a huge fan of DTM tips and this was the cleanest option I could come up with. I also don't really like the M-Tech rear bumper so I figured I would make the OEM one better.

20130613_133751_zps49f8e94f.jpg
20130613_142825_zpsd1fe77af.jpg
20130614_142204_2_zps8c757de3.jpg
20130622_210436_zps9ca41c33.jpg
20130622_210119_zps171d0b91.jpg

He did such an excellent job. He used no bondo and uses only the finest plastic repair kits. Bravo Kerry=)

More to come Wednesday. Maybe I will take a funny picture of how the rear is sitting right now aired out on stock wheels.

Looking good, and roll those fenders so you can tuck, and have this thing lay body!

Not a huge fan of tuck. Also, I have the car sitting at the shop aired out on stock 15's and it is about 2"-3" away from laying frame. That is with nothing holding it up besides the bag being fully deflated. You would have to do a ton of fab work (custom trailing arms, modified upper mount, ect.) to get it to lay frame in the back. I'll take a picture of it Wednesday=)