WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

No they for me=) On a side note. Just spoke with Shaun. He cleared the wheel yesterday, but it was his first time using this new powder. They ended up coming out like poop. He is now starting over. I offered to pay a little extra becasue I feel bad, but he kindly declined. They should be done tomorrow or this weekend I am hoping.

I got a little done on Saturday, but it doesn't look like much.

I started off by painting the other side of the block. Both sides turned out really well.

IMAG1010_zps3113f7a3.jpg

The color came out brighter and more silver than what I wanted, but it will work well with the rest of the colors.

Most of the rest of the day was spent with a propane torch and wire brush. I still have a lot of seam sealer to get out of little nooks and crannys. I'm really hoping I can get it out soon so that I can weld the seams up, grind them flat, and then smooth out the whole bay. I really want to be done with that so that I can just fit the wheels, and then send the car off for paint.

IMAG1013_zps0ffc7f8e.jpg
IMAG1015_zps63d4be10.jpg

I'll hopefully be ordering a ton of parts this week so I can slowly cross things off of my list. I also need to replace a wheel bearing in the rear so that I can put the subframe back in.

Last thing I got done was a little cleaning on the steering rack. I ran out of brake cleaner=(

IMAG1014_zps16e1fbd4.jpg

I'm hoping some more exciting updates will come sooner than later.

I got another little chunk of work done yesterday. I wanted to smooth out all of the old bracket mounting points. I grabbed a 120 grit flap wheel and went to town.

IMAG1040_zps9a49e7fa.jpg
IMAG1043_zpscea71152.jpg
IMAG1044_zps7198d4d8.jpg
IMAG1047_zps42fc7c6e.jpg
IMAG1048_zpsa75ea1f3.jpg

I then got most of the seam sealer finally removed from the corners. Some of it is still in that very tight corner. I think I'll need to use a pick to get that out.

IMAG1042_zps9370b9a1.jpg
IMAG1045_zps2246bbbf.jpg
IMAG1046_zpsa6a5cbe1.jpg

I then put the subframe bushings in.

IMAG1036_zps34152570.jpg
IMAG1037_zps1d58dc0c.jpg

I went to put the trailing arm bushings in and ran into a snag. I got the end with the sleeve pressed in with the help of a hammer, but I could not get the other end to come in any farther than pictured=( I didn't happen to have a c clamp handy, so I will be using one today to get them fully seated.

IMAG1038_zpsd0ad8fef.jpg

I will be going to the shop today after work, and also on Sunday. I'll post the updates Monday=)

comfort and performance can co-exist. Just because something stiffer exists doesn't necessarily make it better  or higher performance. The main goal is to keep the trailing arms from going toe-out under braking and decel. You would have to be tracking the car pretty hard / competitively to complain about toe-out problems with good stock bushings. 

I got some work done on Thursday and Sunday, but I only took one picture=/

Lets start off with the trailing arm bushings. I figured out why they will not seat. I simply installed them incorrectly. You are supposed to insert each poly piece, and then run the sleeve through the middle. I ran the outer pieces in, with the sleeve in. When I put the inner pieces in, it trapped air. This kept them from fully seating, and is now keeping me from taking them out. All I can think of now is to drill a small hole in each one to let the air escape, and then install a zerk fitting so I can grease them in the future. I will let you know how this works after Wednesday.

Now for work that actually got completed. I got sick of seeing the firewall/trans tunnel insulation just dangling there, so I finished tugging the rest of it out.

IMAG1074_zps77c7c7fc.jpg

Other than that, I finished removing all of the seam sealer that I could find and also finished smoothing out the mounting points for the old ABS brackets. The next step for the bay is to weld the seams to keep any filler used from cracking. I wish I could fill every imperfection in the bay with metal, to stay away from having to use filler. That would take a whole lot of time and I would still need filler in the end to smooth it all out. Hopefully I will just need a light skim coat to fill small indents and to smooth all of the welded seams out.