WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

I was shooting to paint all of my rear subframe parts Saturday....but had too many shenanigans and just ended up cleaning things when I actually did work. Parts will be painted this Saturday....Hopefully=)

I did however finally finish my headlights. I wanted to mimic E30 Hella smoked headlights, but with an e36. I have never seen crosshairs in e36 lights so I figured I would give it a shot. Here are before and afters of the lights straight off the car to being finished.

Before:

IMAG0919_zpsb115dfa6.jpg

After:

IMAG0915_zpsfe67147a.jpg

Before:

IMAG0918_zps79e1ab03.jpg

After:

IMAG0914_zps36ab6745.jpg

Before:

IMAG0916_zps5393fb57.jpg

IMAG0917_zpsa9e0fe24.jpg

After:

IMAG0913_zpsa6c09795.jpg

IMAG0920_zps58df9dad.jpg

IMAG0912_zps7a394546.jpg

It was hard capturing the crosshair. I need to get white bulbs instead of the stupid blue ones that they come with.

I also got a fancy package Friday.

IMG_20130322_143028_zps681ff5cb.jpg

I now have all four disassembled and cleaned. The faces are being shipped today to get powdercoated=)

Splish Splash Breytons takin' a bath=)

IMG_20130324_101505_zpsc6c652d8.jpg

That is all for now=)

I did some small things yesterday.

First, I ordered my tires. I opted for Hankook HR2's. I see that they have a pretty soft sidewall so they should stretch easily. I'm going for 205/40's in the front and 215/40's out back. I got them for $350 shipped to my door.

I also found out that the lips are in stock and I am placing my order asap. These wheels will be together way faster than I had thought.

I've been contemplating making a set of all red tails. I then remembered that I am getting a NOS set of amber tails. I figured since my current tails have some minor spider cracking, why not hit them with some model paint? So I did. I used Testors 1605 Candy Apple Red paint with Testors clear. They turned out really well. I just need to wetsand and buff them.

Started off by masking them off:

IMAG0929_zpsa5e2570e.jpg

I then layed a nice even coat of red. Somehow it only took me one coat to achieve the color that I needed, and I had no runs.

IMAG0931_zpse0961b6f.jpg

I removed the tape on this one to ensure that it matched well. I also wanted to compare a before and after.

IMAG0932_zps679acb62.jpg

IMAG0933_zps1bd3d8f7.jpg

It looks slightly off in the pictures due to it being a more matte finish at the moment, and I couldn't get a heads on shot.

I then taped up the second light to be able to shoot color and clear right after one another.

IMAG0934_zpsdf54f0af.jpg

Then I just buried them in clear with a heavy coat. I wanted to put enough on to make a nice thick layer, but have no runs. It worked out really well.

IMG_20130326_172438_zps5a8fd55b.jpg

I'm going to let them dry for a day or two, and then do the wet sanding and buffing.

Hopefully I'll get something done at the shop tonight too. I can't think of much to do without a wire wheels for the bay, and any of my rear subframe or paint. haha I'll update again tomorrow.

Those all red e28 lights look sweet! Theres so much red tail light tinting going on around here, I love it! You're are lookin top-notch sir.

Thanks good buddy. Hopefully more so after Saturday.

I didn't go out to the shop yesterday because I couldn't figure out what I would do. I instead went home and finished the headlights. I also got the tail lights almost finished. They just need to be wet sanded and buffed=) I didn't get any pictures of the other head light finished, but I did get a picture of the tail lights.

IMG_20130327_143503_zps5c3fd913.jpg

Updates will follow Saturday.

I got a little done Saturday.
I started the day by tearing into my motor a little more. I removed the upper timing cover and water pump. I tried extracting the water pump using two bolts to push it out, but ended up braking the ears off. Then I just shook the crap out of it until it popped out.
IMAG0938_zpsbd04e371.jpg

Then I got working on my rear subframe yet again.
The hardest thing was getting the handbrake cable ends out of the trailing arms. They were basically fused together. I used a pneumatic chisel on one, and had to drill the other one out. I didn't get any pictures. I then degreased everything, washed it, and dried it with an air nozzle. I then threw down a coat of Rust Reformer to try and prevent rust in the future. (These pictures turned out horrible)

IMAG0943_zpsf1e8ed51.jpg

Then shenanigans ensued and come skating was done. I managed to snap the tail off of my board and continued to rid it until I snapped the nose off. Then I focused it.

IMAG0944_zps0cc9cbb6.jpg

I then finally got actual paint on the parts. The diff, hubs, and dust shield will be black. I did not have any black at the time. I will also be clear coating it all. The color is a champagne tinted silver. The picture of the subframe is the most accurate portrayal of the color.

IMAG0945_zps06fcf19e.jpg
IMAG0946_zps9351875e.jpg

Wednesday I will be pulling the head off of the motor and taking it to get resurfaced. The flywheel will be getting done too. I need to start ording a lot of parts. I need a ton of little things for the motor, as well as brake lines for the rear.

Tiny update this morning=) My Hankook HR2's arrived yesterday morning. I went with a 205/40 up front and a 215/40 for the rear. I definitely shouldn't run into any clearance issues.

IMAG0958_zpsf010defb.jpg

Today I'm heading to the shop after work to get the head off. Plan on seeing pictures of it off tomorrow. I'm really hoping that the gasket just blew out somewhat on cylinder 4. That would explain my very infrequent white smoke I was getting last year. It only did it when I would really be getting on it. The head might be able to go without resurfacing. It should only have about 20,000 miles on it. I got a hold of the owner that was parting it out, and he claimed to put a new head on at 140,000 miles. If it does end up needing resurfacing, it will only be around $30 anyways. Win win situation for me.

Updates tomorrow=)