WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

I might be building two sets of wheels for the car now. I can get a sweet deal on some OZ Breytons from the homeland=)

I'm either going to build them wider, or flip them. Here is a picture of them for those who do not know what they look like:

Posted Image

They're pretty rare, but I have seen them on a few e36's. I've always had a soft spot for them=P We will see what happens.

Very nice! Reminds me of those AMG wheels that came on older Mercs. Those are gonna look good!

I like. Really makes me want air ride in my next vehicle. Does anyone do static in the rear, air in the front?

I think they either do full static or full air usually. I was debating going air in the rear a while back, since the rear is hard to get down on the Compact. I opted against going half an half=)

I got out to the shop last night and worked on a few more things.

I got most of the spot welds roughly smoothed out. The 60 grit wheels wasn't ideal, but it took them down quick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You're probably wondering about the plastic bag in the last picture (You probably aren't but I'm going to explain it anyways)

I managed to get the lower half of the box out. This left me with a mess of wires. I do not want these wires full of dust/debris.

I will hopefully be removing all of the fuses from the box, labelling them properly, pushing them through the firewall, and placing

them back into the box this weekend. It's not going to be fun. Here is the said mess of wires:

Posted Image

That makes it looks like less too. That ball of wire is massive....

I did this all while waiting for Jake to show up, and swap some tires with me. Once him and his friend Brian arrived, my neighbor arrived home. He went into the garage and grab a bag of chicken feed, spreading it across the driveway. I found it quite odd to do that in winter. He might have better luck in Spring. We did not see any chickens arrive.

After that we decided to test out the tires by putting the MK3 through a snowbank. We succeeded in the fact we had too much fun....but we got it stuck really good. I'm glad that I had a spare extension cord. It worked very well for pulling me out with Jakes e46=) We decided to do that only after about 15 minutes of trying to rock the car while pinning it to win it......it's a race car doe!

I did this all while waiting for Jake to show up, and swap some tires with me. Once him and his friend Brian arrived, my neighbor arrived home. He went into the garage and grab a bag of chicken feed, spreading it across the driveway. I found it quite odd to do that in winter. He might have better luck in Spring. We did not see any chickens arrive.

After that we decided to test out the tires by putting the MK3 through a snowbank. We succeeded in the fact we had too much fun....but we got it stuck really good. I'm glad that I had a spare extension cord. It worked very well for pulling me out with Jakes e46=) We decided to do that only after about 15 minutes of trying to rock the car while pinning it to win it......it's a race car doe!

We wanted chickens... we got no chickens.... :/

So I was not in the mood to do wiring today. I then decided to go pickup an engine stand, and tear the motor down.

I started off by picking up, and then assembling, this engine stand from Harbor Freight. $50=)

Posted Image

I then finished removing the wiring harness from the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once that was done I started removing the accessories (alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor) This led me to find most of my oil leaks as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I noticed a wet spot by cylinder 4 under the head. I'm going to do a compression test Wednesday. I also went to take off the trans and realized that I do not own any e-torx sockets=/ My bushings are still stuck in Polish customs, and my COP kit first shipped yesterday.

More updates to follow after Wednesday.

My rear bushings arrived today from Silver Project. It takes a bit for a package to come from Poland.

I asked them if they could draw a picture of anything they want on the box, to see how down to earth they are. I like doing this when I order parts:) Here is what I was welcomed with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My COP kit got ordered to my parents by accident. I should have it Thursday. Tomorrow I will be at the shop getting things done. Hopefully ill have another update.

I managed to get my transmission and flywheel off yesterday. I then went to mount the motor on the stand, and found out the top transmission bolts are too short to use to mount it=/ I picked some longer bolts on the way home. I won't be able to make it out until Sunday, since Saturday is my mums birthday.

Posted Image

I also have some other exciting news. I officially sealed the deal on the Breytons. Now I'm looking at lips to order. Hopefully I'll have everything to build them as soon as they hit stateside. I'm currently waiting on the purchaser to pay for the Style 5's still as well. Hopefully that gets cleared up by the end of the week=)

I got out to the shop yesterday=)

I started off the day mounting the motor on the stand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then removed the coolant lines and sensors from the intake side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this point I got a phonecall from a potential buyer for my wheels. I meet him and his grandfather in a grocery store parking lot, and arrived back to the shop with this.

Posted Image

I spent some on gas=) It was $1200. I just wanted them gone to fund building the Breytons. I also took that picture because it is obligatory when you have trap house money.

I then returned to the shop and Jake had arrived. He got to cleaning the block a bit more and I tackled removing the rear subframe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Diff looks like it was leaking a little 0_o Jake also only took one picture of the motor. The other side is clean too...

I will hopefully be dropping the subframe on Wednesday. All that is left and the lower subframe mounts.

Tah Tah for now.

Posted Image