WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

Got the drivetrain out today;) The only thing that gave me issues was the damn bitch clip for the shifter. I started shaving the bay as well.

Ryan's GF Kayla and I know all too well about that bitch clip. It's Honestly not that bad, as long as you have a new one, you can destroy the old one.

Here is how I hooked up the hoist:

Posted Image

It sucked trying to get the trans up enough to pull out. I had to be almost vertical. I also had to remove the brace before the frame rails.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also used my spot weld bit to drill off all the brackets. The battery tray will come out when I remove the seam sealer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The lighting was horrible in the shop, but I didn't care about fancy pictures at the time=) I'll need to get a nice camera instead of using my phone.

More shaving and miscellaneous other things to come on Saturday.

wow, thats going to be quite a project! Should be plenty worth it when its done though. When I cleaned and re-painted my engine bay I didnt want to take all the brake lines and ABS pump out, but I am so glad now that I did. Are you going to stick with the M42 for the long run?

Applying a torch flame at the center sleeve of the RTAB for a minute or two will allow the rubber around the sleeve to melt to the point where you can push the sleeve out with a screwdriver. Then its just a matter of pulling the rubber portion out with pliers. Takes < 2-3 minutes per bushing and causes for less cleanup and less risk of changing the heat-treating of the metal.

So yes, burning them out, but there are subtle details like I mentioned above which make it a bit quicker cleaner and easier on the metal. +

Burn out the rear bushings, I thought I would try to be smart and push them out and that was the worst mistake I ever made.

Torch em, let em burn then whack them with a good ol flat head and hammer!

Sent from the future. Or my phone, who knows.

Hell yeah. Just don't let your car catch on fire.

I figured the subframe was out of the car ;)

Ask Chris how pulling the rear subframe outta the parts car E28 went. Even with the diesel truck we couldn't get that bitch out. So I think it's safe to say, mine might get burned out, while on the car.

Are the subframes on e28's set up like e30's?

I am almost scared to ask, but how did you use his truck to help?

not a fucking clue. I'd assume their relatively the same.

We uh. undid all the bolts, hooked up a tow rope to it, and uh. Diesel power took over. Still didn't budge.

I have a spare subframe sitting is Zachs garage that I need to grab once the diff and trailing arms are off. I definitely plan to burn them out. I also think I might send out my trailing arms to have them made adjustable. Anyone want to buy my wastegate still? Lol