WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

That looks amazing ... really wish i could have done all that with mine but that was just more than I was willing to do. Great work !!

Thanks bud=) I figured I would do it while the whole car was down. My subframe bushings were destroyed before. The car will feel completely new after all of this. I'm excited.

I got more good progress yesterday=) I remembered that I would like to reapply undercoat before I put the subframe back in. I bought two cans of Rustoleum undercoat Wednesday night, and did the coating yesterday afternoon.

I started off by removing the sway bar. It had definitely seen better days.

IMAG1165_zps67cf9998.jpg

I plan to either remove it completely or buy a beefier one depending on how the car handles with the stock one. I figured I might aswell just clean it up a bit. I hit it with sander to knock the flaking rust off, primed it, and then threw a coat of black on it.

IMAG1170_zpsa6667984.jpg

Now it won't look like crap with the cleaned up subframe.

After that I wiped the wheel wells and underside down with lacquer thinner to remove any grease and dirt. I then applied two coats of the undercoat. It layed really nicely and it didn't drip. It was dark under the car so it was hard to get a good picture. 

IMAG1166_zps164e9fc1.jpg
IMAG1168_zpsc8dc7745.jpg

I'm very happy with how it turned out, and I plan to do the front wheel wells and underside when I install my front struts. I need to get some loctite to finish putting the subframe together for good. I might do that today if I go to the shop, otherwise I will do it next Wednesday.

I got basically nothing done yesterday. I was making the hole to route my headlight harness through, but I didn't have the right tool to get it big enough. I'm hoping to get that done Saturday. I also did not have the right loctite on hand to tighten everything down for good on the rear subframe. I also didn't have any RTV to use on installing the rear diff gasket. The great news is that Shaun finished powdercoating the Breyton faces and they will be enroute shortly=D

Slowly but surely getting the car together.

I started off by installing the new speed sensor, o-ring, and bracket. I don't remember there even being an o-ring on it before, which would explain why my diff used to leak down the face. The diff cover didn't have any sort of gasket before though either=/ I bought a new bracket because it would be a shame for everything to look new, and then have a rusty bracket.

IMAG1197_zpsacef8e49.jpg

I then applied Indian Head shellac to the new paper diff cover gasket and installed it.

IMAG1200_zpscaadc034.jpg

While I waited for that to cure, I cleaned up my steering rack and installed my Condor Speed Shop power steering delete. I figured new crush washers would make sense here as well.

IMAG1198_zpsedf98643.jpg
IMAG1199_zpsf89b5c49.jpg

The rack still needs more scrubbing, but I don't have access to water at the shop.

After that the diff cover was ready to install. I had my handy dandy blue loctite on hand and dabbed a little on all of the bolts for the rear subframe. Everything is tigthened down now. I'm debating on installing it now, or waiting until I make the new hardlines. I also need to paint my calipers and rotor hats, as well as installing my stainless mid and rear brake hoses.

IMAG1201_zps0021abb1.jpg

I would have continued to work on the car, but I had plans to fix the exhaust on my MK3, as well as give it a quick paintjob. We ended up not having time for the paintjob, but we got the exhaust done=) Time to cut some springs this week hopefully.

vw1_zps1e71a011.jpg
vw2_zps16d76381.jpg

Updates to come on Wednesday, as always=)

sick innercooler on the golf. I love 1.8 turbos

lol

And to comment on the rainstorm comment you replaced. I tested it out by pissing in it after it was done. It blew a badass piss mist cloud. There was also beer mixed in there too. It also helped me find the only exhaust leak=D

lol

And to comment on the rainstorm comment you replaced. I tested it out by pissing in it after it was done. It blew a badass piss mist cloud. There was also beer mixed in there too. It also helped me find the only exhaust leak=D

I think its time to install a flamethrower tip. 

Earl! That exhaust is freakin awesome. The truck guys will be jealous.

It is even more awesome when it is cold like this morning and it has a nice plume of air coming out of it=)

Yesterday was fantastic=D

Four of these showed up:

IMAG1206_zpsb165c962.jpg

Which led to this:

IMG_20130604_143742_zps7e5dd278.jpg

That led to this:

Front (17x9.5 et14 3" lip)

IMAG1208_zps8c9a5944.jpg

Rear (17x10 et8 3.5" lip)

IMG_20130604_171135_zps79bfbe76.jpg

Backside

IMG_20130604_170940_zps4d1e13fe.jpg

They are all hand tight right now because I couldn't find a 12 point 8mm socket for the life of me. I also need to pick up some silicone to seal them.

Tonight I will be at the shop for a bit and then I will be doing some fiberglassing and shaving hopefully. I will also most likely put a teeny bit of work into the MK3. We will see.